Thread: Session King tenor

Default Session King tenor

Tom who plays on the video loved the tenor, he sat and played this one all afternoon, he hardly put it down! In-between playing and cups of tea he made a really nice comment -

"It's louder than a lot of tenor banjos."

That's the idea!

The last time I made a tenor was when I worked for Sobell - we made one the whole time I was there, and to be honest I can't remember much about it.

This one is based on my guitar bouzouki model and is tuned GDAE/GDAD which I believe gets called "Irish tuning." Low G is the same as my guitar bouzouki so it made sense to use the same size body - wide enough to get bass, shallow enough to project.

Like all Session Kings it has a totally flat top, a relic finish and for one of my instruments it's quite fancy in the decoration department - in that it has dots on the fretboard!

So, here you go, enjoy the video and keep an eye on my YouTube channel as I've got a few more vids coming up from the same session.

By the way, Ian Stephenson did the sound engineering and Seth Tinsley shot the video, both do a great job.

Nigel
    http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/blog...t-tenor-guita/

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nkforster For This Useful Post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Re: Session King tenor

Immense
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Fury on Four Strings Ukulele Jim's Avatar

I love how big it is. Is this instrument for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Jim View Post
    I love how big it is. Is this instrument for sale?
    It will be Jim, drop me a line via my site.

n

Is it X braced or ladder braced? I couldn't tell if those where backs or tops stacked up in the picture on your site.
    Dave Schneider

Quote Originally Posted by PT66 View Post
    Is it X braced or ladder braced? I couldn't tell if those where backs or tops stacked up in the picture on your site.
    Those are backs Dave.

Why is he capoed up one fret? He appears to be playing in Ab possibly for more sparkle? It does sound very good.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyes View Post
    Why is he capoed up one fret? He appears to be playing in Ab possibly for more sparkle? It does sound very good.
    No idea. On the other videos (stay tuned) he doesn't use a capo. Tom tried the piece with the capo in a couple of places and settled on that one.

More!

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nkforster For This Useful Post:

Sounds great! Love the second video.

Wonderful, Nigel! What is the origin of that second tune, Hope's Nose? Is that an original? Great sounding instruments!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The pair playing in the last video have an EP available through Bandcamp, including that tune Hope's Nose : https://kimberpaul.bandcamp.com/releases
    Great stuff.

This is a beautiful sounding and looking guitar, and Tom Kimber, what a fine young musician. If you head over to their bandcamp site as mandocarver suggests you wont be suprised to find he is a fine mandolin and tenor banjo player. In fact he plays the tenor banjo with such sensitivity it brought Angelina Carberry to mind. And in answer to Mike's query about the capo, I notice he's not afraid to capo up the banjo pushing things on from the traditional. He's definitely one to watch out for, and whoever ends up with this guitar will be very fortunate. I wish it was me but my other half never quite forgave me for smuggling a new Tom Buchanan Bouzouki into the music room and forgetting to mention it. Unfortunately I left the receipt on the hall table and she discovered it 3 weeks later during a spot of spring cleaning!

And more!!

17. The following members say thank you to nkforster for this post:

19. The following members say thank you to nkforster for this post: