Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slickery Picks

Default Slickery Picks

On good advise I began using a Wegen TF-140, 7-hole pick when I bought my mandolin -and I like them !

I was wondering though, whether anyone uses a resin (or anything else) on their pick fingers to keep a firm grip on the pick as they lather up during play?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Trujillo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Slickery Picks

I recently picked up a couple different picks after using a Wegen 7-hole pick for 4 years. I realized that those damn holes make it harder to hold on to! I haven't dropped my bluechip once yet.

I suggest using some duct tape and wrapping up your hand. Or some super glue.
    Theo Wecker
    www.theowecker.com

Currently waxing poetic about:
    2008 Weber Buffalo
    2016 Collings MT
    2016 Martin D-18

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theo W. For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I use the Dunlop Primetone sculpted picks. The raised grip doesn't let the pick move around at all. They're reasonably priced and sound terrific. Any pick that needs special goop applied to allow the player to hang onto it is too much trouble as far as I'm concerned. The Primetones come in several sizes, thicknesses and shapes too. For example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dunlop-514.../dp/B00JB4WA18
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Busman For This Useful Post:

I am wondering about picks too as I journey into mandolin territory. It took me forever to find a guitar pick I could hold onto. I'm hoping I can use these picks on the mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by Theo B View Post
    I recently picked up a couple different picks after using a Wegen 7-hole pick for 4 years. I realized that those damn holes make it harder to hold on to! I haven't dropped my bluechip once yet.

I suggest using some duct tape and wrapping up your hand. Or some super glue.
    I guess what I like best about them is their shape. Hadn't thought much about the holes. Super glue sounds cheaper than the Blue Chip (and I'll always know where the pick is. ��)

9. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I use the Dunlop Primetone sculpted picks. The raised grip doesn't let the pick move around at all. They're reasonably priced and sound terrific. Any pick that needs special goop applied to allow the player to hang onto it is too much trouble as far as I'm concerned. The Primetones come in several sizes, thicknesses and shapes too. For example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dunlop-514.../dp/B00JB4WA18
    These look good...thanks for the link!

Wegen picks are the bomb but I've never have used resin on my fingers. I highly recommend Wegen picks to anyone and they came highly recommended by a pro musician friend to me.
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSIMelissa For This Useful Post:

A friend gave me a Wegen pick and I like it but I like my Dunlap Prime Tone a whole lot better. Both give good volume but the Prime Tone gives a warmer tone then the Wegen.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

When I was new to the mandolin, I had a heck of a time holding on to my pick. Over time I learned that the pick slipping or turning in my hand was the result of holding it too tightly. When I focused on a very loose pick grip, the problems went away. My Blue Chip is about the slickest pick I own, and I have sweaty hands, so I don't get any of the grip stickiness that some people claim to get with these picks. But I no longer worry about it rotating or slipping.

I do use a Primetone pick now, though, because I like the tone. The textured surface isn't necessary for me.

I guess my point is that while it may seem counterintuitive, using a loose grip can improve your ability to control your pick and keep it in place. Using sticky substances to glue it to your fingers is treating the symptom, not the cause.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

For one reason or another, the Primetone seems to be getting a lot of nods here.

"Stick-um" cheap and lasts forever!
    Resolve, try what you have before stepping into the quagmire of finding a new one. I use the same for guitar, I've never seen a need for different picks, there are many here who have far more need for different picks for everything. I'm just cheap!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

I used the Wegen Bluegrass picks for over 5 years,but after trying the Dunlop Primetones,i realised just how 'dull' sounding the Wegens made my mandolins sound,even using DR strings. Strangely,i've found that the Primetones with the raised grip,slip around in my fingers more than the smooth,printed ones. The raised grip is preventing my finger & thumb from making 'full contact' with the pick. The smooth ones stick to my fingers like glue & simply don't move,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Agree with everything Ivan just said! Wegens, to me, are good loud jam picks, but I feel they rob some of the tone.

The embossed Primetones that I've tried have been a little slippery and sound "brittle" on the strings.

Vpicks stick to your fingers like glue, have good volume but can be very "glassy" and clacky. (Vpick saga is virtually undroppable!).

Blue chips are ace, but on my Northfield, my CT55 is a little too quiet for jams - lovely at home though. They're also virtually undroppable (probably a good thing considering the price!).

The non-embossed Primetone 1.5 large triangle has been my pick of choice over the couple of months that I've had the Northfield. LOUD, punchy, great rich tone, articulate note distinction and it stays in place nicely.

IMHO, YMMV, ETC ETC

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny60 For This Useful Post:

When I started guitar I had issues with this. Had some picks where I glued (or maybe bought them this way) some sandpaper where the thumb goes and that helped. I also had a little jar of some junk that was supposed to help. Maybe, maybe not.

When I started mandolin I shortly thereafter got a Wegen pick and on top of the holes, I also rough sanded (scratched up) the entire flat surface except close to the picking edge. That seemed to help a good bit.

Once I switched to 'material not to be mentioned' and then after that a Blue Chip, I've never had any issues hanging onto them unless I'm getting really sweaty. Then I just wipe both the pick and my fingers on my pants between songs and keep going.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

27. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Saliva

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Saliva
    You're late...we already have one vote for Gorilla Snot.

When I have tried adding sticky substances like rosin or gorilla snot I always end up getting some of it on my left hand and then on the strings. Sticky strings are more frustrating to me than slippery picks.

My go-to pick lately is the D'Andrea Pro Plec and they are slick. I usually score both sides with 10 or more swipes of my pocket knife.

I will have to try the Dunlop Primetones. Good reviews here and the price is right.

Another vote for Dunlop Primetone embossed. I like the 1.3 rounded.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71N+-2Bd4EL__SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	134883

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DWM For This Useful Post:

I wash my pick and my hands with soap and the skin oils come off Both.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

It's amazing what a little soap and water can do for a pick. A little splash of your favorite adult beverage will work in a pinch.

Playing bass most of my life, a pick was a foreign object for me. ( always used my fingers ) I just rubbed a little bow resin/rosen on my finger tips and took care of it. Holding the pick that is. It makes playing the bass with your fingers a little sticky.

Primetone is my favorite at the moment.

I have used Gorilla Snot but the non-slip stuff that bowlers use is usually more readily available, cheaper and does just about as well.

Some of us may have extra problems when it comes to holding picks. Old age dries out the skin, diabetes can dry out the skin and I suffer from both.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I used my Dremel and roughed up both sides of my Wegen and so far it feels much better. Next time I get near Tejon Street I'm going to check out the Primetones.

If you got a favourite pick that 'slipping around',get a small piece of Bluetack & press it onto the pick on the thumb side. I had to do that when i first began playing mandolin & it worked fine. One thing that i do,is that in warmer weather,if my hands get a tad warm,i use a 'Face wipe',the type that you get on aircraft to wipe my hands & my pick. That gets rid of any skin oil & leave my hands feeling really fresh. They usually contain a tiny amount of Ethanol,the evaporation of which cools the skin down as well as removing skin oils - well worth taking a pack along if your 'festivalising' in warm weather,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

39. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: