Thread: Question about Eastman MD-404 sound

Default Question about Eastman MD-404 sound

Hi all,

I have been playing mandolin for a few months now, and I made my first visit to a music shop with a really excellent mandolin stock (Spruce Tree in Madison). I just checked with my doctor, and he has diagnosed me with MAS. Is this fatal?

Anyway, I played several really nice instruments both new and old, including what I thought would be the maker I'd most likely gravitate toward (Weber). To my surprise, the one that I liked the sound of the most was the Eastman 404. And it wasn't even a close race. This was the first time I'd ever played an oval hole mando, and I wonder if the sound quality I liked about it was due to that or something specific to the 404 (i.e. the mahogany back/sides etc). The only other oval hole they had was a Gibson F model, and I figured I'd better check on my liability insurance before I played that one.

I think the quality I like the most was a more "closed" feel to the sound -- as if it was located inside the body of the mando, instead of in front of it. It sounded very woody, and the sustain was much longer than I am used to. I wouldn't say it was quieter than the other A's I played, but it definitely had less attack.

So my question for anyone who has played both the 404 and some other oval holed models (or for someone who wants to try to interpret my description of its soud): is the 404 sound typical for an oval hole or something unique?

Default Re: Question about Eastman MD-404 sound

A few months ago, urged on by a bout with MAS, I visited The Music Emporium in Lexington, Ma, and there, in the Mandolin section, were a bunch of Eastman's. I worked my way through and had the same experience as you when I tried the 504 (similar to the 404). I really liked the sustain, as you had, and the tone, so I bought it. Last year, at mandolin camp, I tried someone's old (1920's ?) oval hole Gibson and remember it having the same "feel". So I guess this is a typical sound vs. F hole mandos, but then, what do I know...I've only been playing for a couple of years. I just know what I like.

I had a similar experience when I bought my first mandolin. Ended up with an Eastman 604. To me it sounded better than any ff in the store. I now also have a Weber with f holes, and the sound is quite different but I'm getting used to it. I prefer the playability of the Weber (wide nut, thicker neck), but still really like the sound of the Eastman. And for the record, I tested both with a decibel meter at 2 feet. Same volume from both mandolins.

Obviously, the real answer is that I need to go play a different non f-hole mando and see how they compare, but if I'll bet that's it given both your comments. And yeah, I didn't find there to be much of a volume difference between the 404 and mine etc (I have a Kentucky 505 which is an A with ff). The difference was in the attack. So chopping on the ff models sounds much more barky. The 404 sounded much sweeter with much more sustain. I have been playing celtic tunes almost exclusively, and that's sound profile sounds very good with that kind of music.

Quote Originally Posted by quietglow View Post
    ... is the 404 sound typical for an oval hole or something unique?
    Can't speak to the Eastman 404, but what you describe as the sound differences, have also been reported by others comparing f-hole and oval-hole instruments. Sharp attack, quicker decay for the f-hole mandolins, more sustain, longer "ring" for the oval-holes.

Many variables combine to determine a mandolin's sound. Plus, listeners' ears differ, and their preferences certainly vary. What you like is what you like. Beware, however, of too facile generalization: two mandolins of identical make and model can sound vastly different. Each piece of wood is, to some extent, unique; and the player's interaction with each instrument can be unique as well.

Solution: acquire one of each type of mandolin. It's loads of fun, and what else should we spend money on?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The 404 has a typical oval hole tone. I do prefer the tone of the 504 with its maple back and sides (vs mahogany on the 404). But what you are hearing is typical of Oval hole mandos.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

F hole, oval hole, A style, F style, sunburst, blond face, they're all good just give it up to MAS and buy more mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    The 404 has a typical oval hole tone. I do prefer the tone of the 504 with its maple back and sides (vs mahogany on the 404). But what you are hearing is typical of Oval hole mandos.
    Excellent. That's what I needed to know. I sure liked the sound of the 404, but I'll hold off on buying one until I hear an oval hole 20s Gibson pumpkin (which I've always thought was an amazing looking mando).