Thread: Prominent Atlanta Violin Shop taking on Mandolins!

Default Prominent Atlanta Violin Shop taking on Mandolins!

Hi all, my name is Chris Johns and I own the Peachtree City, GA location of Ronald Sachs Violins, which is based in Atlanta. We have 3 locations in Lilburn, Peachtree City and coming in June/July, Marietta, GA.

I am excited to get more involved with the Cafe as we build this new area of our business. We have a strong reputation in Atlanta for our high quality instruments, setup and repair work on student through professional violin family instruments. We also have done work on fretted instruments over the years with the same result.

I am primarily a cellist but also play guitar, mandolin, bouzouki, uke, and have always had a love high quality instruments that people WANT to play because they are easy to play and sound good. This is what we specialize in at RSV.

At my location we will be slowing bringing in high quality instruments mandolins, banjos and a maybe guitars. 3 beautiful one-off custom banjos in stock at the moment. We will also be providing repair and setup locally in Peachtree City.

I would love to hear from anyone in the Atlanta area and your thoughts/ideas on what you would like to see in our store, as our main goal is to work with our local and regional musicians!

Please look us up and give me a shout if you need anything!

Happy Strumming!

Chris Johns
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Peachtree City, GA 30269
    770-703-4914
    www.ronaldsachsptc.com

p.s. new www.ronaldsachs.com with eCommerce coming soon!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ronaldsachsviolins For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Prominent Atlanta Violin Shop taking on Mandolins!

Seeing Atlanta, I cannot help but to think of Marty Jacobson, a mandolin builder from Atlanta. I have yet to see one of his instruments in the flesh, but I experience a big case of MAS every time I see one pictured here in the Cafe.
    I cannot speak for Mr. Jacobson's business plan, but do suggest you reach out to him in your desire to feature high quality instruments.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I'd love to see a store where you could buy some Blue Chip picks, some D'Addario mandolin strings, have a conversation with the setup guy who is going to do the job before he takes your mandolin away, ooh and I'd like to be able to try out at least a dozen or two great mandolins in various styles from well-known smaller builders, including some local luthiers, and where there was enough space to get a couple of friends in so you could jam before you buy. Whaddya say?

5. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Seeing Atlanta, I cannot help but to think of Marty Jacobson, a mandolin builder from Atlanta. I have yet to see one of his instruments in the flesh, but I experience a big case of MAS every time I see one pictured here in the Cafe.
    I cannot speak for Mr. Jacobson's business plan, but do suggest you reach out to him in your desire to feature high quality instruments.

I will certainly reach out to Marty, thank you for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I'd love to see a store where you could buy some Blue Chip picks, some D'Addario mandolin strings, have a conversation with the setup guy who is going to do the job before he takes your mandolin away, ooh and I'd like to be able to try out at least a dozen or two great mandolins in various styles from well-known smaller builders, including some local luthiers, and where there was enough space to get a couple of friends in so you could jam before you buy. Whaddya say?
    You've hit the nail on the head! I am headed in this direction for sure. D'Addario strings along with GHS are already in the works and should be in the shop within the month. I have reached out to Blue Chip and hope to have them here at some point. Our setup /repair guys will be happy to speak with anytime!

I do appreciate the input!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    You've hit the nail on the head! I am headed in this direction for sure. D'Addario strings along with GHS are already in the works and should be in the shop within the month. I have reached out to Blue Chip and hope to have them here at some point. Our setup /repair guys will be happy to speak with you anytime!

I do appreciate the input!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronaldsachsviolins For This Useful Post:

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

David speaks for many of we mandolin-obsessed types in the ATL. Something along those lines, in Marietta (close to me!), and you'll be seeing me a LOT! (BTW, please stock GHS Silk 'n' Bronze. Really nice!)
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bridges View Post
    David speaks for many of we mandolin-obsessed types in the ATL. Something along those lines, in Marietta (close to me!), and you'll be seeing me a LOT! (BTW, please stock GHS Silk 'n' Bronze. Really nice!)
    All of our locations will have access to the mandos and accessories however my shop, since I also play fretted instruments, will be the primary location early one for everything bluegrass.

Michael, I sent you a PM. Hope to meet you soon.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

We don't have much of a selection around Lake Lanier
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Having a shop in the Greater Atlanta area offering a variety of high quality mandolins and all things related would be great. Please let us know when you've got some of those instruments and accessories in stock. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by tkmaze View Post
    Having a shop in the Greater Atlanta area offering a variety of high quality mandolins and all things related would be great. Please let us know when you've got some of those instruments and accessories in stock. Looking forward to it.
    Absolutely!

Chris,

Being an Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw resident I do NOT want you to stock any mandolins! In particular, please do NOT bring in any high end models like Ellis/Pava, Heiden, Nugget, Duff, Gilchrist, Dudenbostel or the like. And I know that Jacobson fella, he's pretty sketchy as well!

There should be NO high dollar Blue Chip picks, NO coated strings, NO ancillary devices like tuners, recorders, straps, etc.

And as for your upcoming Marietta store, you can leave all those high-dollar Devil's Box violins behind as well! NO talented modern builders, NO fancy French Vuillaumes, and for God's sake nothing Italian! NO fancy bows, nor even a cake of rosin. Throw the 'cellos out as well! Stock the store with nothing but violas!

note: This post was placed under extreme duress from my possibly-soon-to-be-ex-wife, sackcloth-wearing daughter, destitute minister, and underfed dog.

See 'ya soon! And often!

Jim
    Jim Sims

" Amateurs practice until they get it right - professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
    "Me?... I don't practice."

iiimandolin#19
    1917 Gibson A-1 Pumpkintop

www.sedentaryramblers.com

16. The following members say thank you to usqebach for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by usqebach View Post
    Stock the store with nothing but violas!
    Now you're talkin'!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by usqebach View Post
    Chris,

Being an Atlanta/Marietta/Kennesaw resident I do NOT want you to stock any mandolins! In particular, please do NOT bring in any high end models like Ellis/Pava, Heiden, Nugget, Duff, Gilchrist, Dudenbostel or the like. And I know that Jacobson fella, he's pretty sketchy as well!

There should be NO high dollar Blue Chip picks, NO coated strings, NO ancillary devices like tuners, recorders, straps, etc.

And as for your upcoming Marietta store, you can leave all those high-dollar Devil's Box violins behind as well! NO talented modern builders, NO fancy French Vuillaumes, and for God's sake nothing Italian! NO fancy bows, nor even a cake of rosin. Throw the 'cellos out as well! Stock the store with nothing but violas!

note: This post was placed under extreme duress from my possibly-soon-to-be-ex-wife, sackcloth-wearing daughter, destitute minister, and underfed dog.

See 'ya soon! And often!

Jim
    , v

Haha!! I love it.... . luckily for you Jim, majority of the Mandos will be in Peachtree City so you would have to brave the traffic to visit. That might be a slight deterrent. As for the fancy fiddles, violas and cellos..... I'm sorry to say, we're already stocked full and the Marietta store will be too. I will say that as a cellist, a store stocked with nothing but violas is nearly my worst nightmare I'll probably have one tonight...thanks!

Don't you worry Jim, I'll be sure and NOT stock any of the items that I know you want so badly.....

I do hope to see you soon!

My suggestion would be to not carry any junk mandolins and hang them on the wall. There are several stores in this area that stock mandolins and they all carry poor quality, poorly set up, poor sounding instruments. Be the one that doesn't. This means you may not have as large a selection as far as brands but what you do have will count!

I don't know if Northfield is looking for any dealers but they are relatively inexpensive and are in my opinion the best bang for the buck in the F-5 world at their price point. You could stock more that way and still have an excellent product. I have yet to play a bad one.

I work in Marietta, where will the new store be?

Tim, this is exactly what we are known for in the violin market around the south east. I plan to only carry the highest quality Mandolins in prices ranging from approximately $600 and up that are not necessarily available at the local large chain. This is where our violins start and it works well because we have the highest quality setup, service and benefits to our clients. I am working hard to make sure we can offer the same to our fretted customers. I'll share more details with everyone once its all in place. I can't spill the beans yet but I think everyone will approve

As for Northfield, I have actually spoken with them and am expecting a demo to arrive at my shop tomorrow. I cant wait to try it out!

We are a Weber Dealer and will see our first batch hopefully this Winter. JBovier is a strong option but they need a little time before adding another dealer. Phoenix has contacted me and I am looking into them as well. They look very nice.

Looking into several lower end options for an A-Model but taking our time here. Kentucky, Loar, etc..... just not sure yet. Thoughts??

Once we get rolling, I would love to go after several other high end makers and have 20-30 mandos in the shop, we just have to get there!

The Marietta shop will be at 3100 Roswell Rd at the intersection of Old Canton Rd. They'll be open late June and will be all violin family for the time being but I'll move items there if anyone wants to see something particular.

Sorry for another long one.... I'm just excited to get things going!

21. The following members say thank you to ronaldsachsviolins for this post:

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Chris. Before things get out of hand, it would be a good idea to study our Posting Guidelines. We try to separate personal and corporate commerce from general discussion in the forum, and leave the sales transactions to the Classifieds. There are also paid advertising opportunities you might want to discuss with the System Administrator about, as well.

For review: Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.

If we allow too much similar discussion here, we have to also include the dozens of stores who pay for banner placement here and on the site's main page, and things will really get out of hand. More importantly, we want members to be free to participate in a "commercial free" conversational environment.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

My apologies Ted. Just a little anxious and excited. I'll spend some time reviewing your link as I certainly do not want to misuse this forum. Thanks for the post

Blog Entries

I have put my hands on Marty's instruments, and they are very fine. He's got them priced right. They play like butter. I second the recommendation to see if you can get him on board.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

I hope to meet Marty soon. They look like beautiful instruments from the pictures on his site.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've played several of Marty's creations. They are exceptional!
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition