Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Incoming! New digital mixer

Blog Entries

Default Re: Incoming! New digital mixer

Quote Originally Posted by lloving View Post
    I think harman/SoundCraft is trying to filter as many of these complaints as possible before taking any action relative to replacement. The indication I get from FulCompass.com is they will repair not replace. Not hat I had in mind.
    PM sent on that subject.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

garded

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    I have good news for you. There ARE virtual sliders/faders. Some of those videos were with an early firmware version. The latest firmware has 'Fader View' on both the main unit and the iPad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	138047

You can also customize exactly what the faders (and knobs) do in many cases, too.
    I spent most of last night trying to get my old brain to absorb the ton of info on the M20D vids. I thought I'd seen somewhere there was a slider view but I've been through so much info on all these mixers I'm getting teflon brain. That great news....so "Fader View" is one of the icons at the top of the screen?? I can't even imagine trying to see all this stuff on a phone screen.

Blog Entries

Yes, Fader view is just one icon away - and you can select the inputs/fx sends and outputs. I normally use that mode when mixing - though for initial setup, the 'stage view' is great. It will take some time to fully explore the possibilities. Just start out with some simple setups and use the 'Quick tweak' mode to begin with. There is a lot of deep stuff hidden away in there. It takes time to get to grips with all the capabilities. I have used quite a few digital consoles, including the X32's and A&H Qu's, but I must say for acoustic type acts/gigs, where 12 mics/DI's + 4 lines are typically more than enough, I really think the M20d is tough to beat. The IOS interface is designed for iPad. You can just about get away with it on an iPad mini (I have one for backup) but the full size version is really what's needed.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

garded

Makes sense, it's only software. It's the hardware that's tough to change if it's not right. To their credit line 6 concentrated on just one mixer. I now use a ipad3 for my music and I'm trying to get the rest of the band to give their big music stands and books up for stage.and just use iPads ...just too much clutter and if we're outside there's always a problem with pages being blown. Can't believe the kid in the band(26) uses his phone to read lyrics off of!

Do up run your mains in stereo or you just have like one array?

Is it fairly easy to get house mix through the monitors?

And where is the feedback buster? I've seen no mention anywhere about it. Looks like I'll only have one day to play with it before we go live

Blog Entries

I very rarely run any PA in stereo as if you have things panned L-R the only people in the room who will hear it as intended are those in the middle of the venue. The audience off to the extreme left or right will get a very unbalanced mix. I just keep everything panned to center normally.

Very easy to send whatever you want to the 4 Aux channels.

The anti-feedback system is found here: TWEAK > DEEP TWEAK> INPUT then FBS ENABLE and set mode to 'Universal' (tends to be better for instruments than 'Vocal' mode). You can see exactly what is doing during setup. You do this for each channel where you intend to use it.

Unlike many mixers, this does not just have it on the mains or the monitors. It has up to 12 totally independent instances available, so you can turn it on, and off, and achieve optimal notching, independently for each of the 12 XLR inputs.

This is much better than just having a 'global' system covering outputs only. Much more transparent.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

garded

I'm used to the dbx. It makes sense to have it on each ch instead of global. So you enable FBS, then "ring" each ch separately, let it go into feedback and let it notch the problems then you disable it or let it keep running in the background?

On the dbx you would pick how many notches you would want to "set" and how many would stay free to catch feedback if things changed during the performance. So I'm trying to get a feel for how this is going to be different.

After it does it's thing to you have to save something so it will keep the notches?

I've go the usb to ethernet Apple adapter for the Airport Express. I might only have the day before the gig to try and get some stuff set up. I was wondering if I can set up the AE without having it plugged into the M20D? This way I could get it already recognized by my iPad and set the password. I don't want to cause some glitch that would make it not recognize the M20D though. I've seen one guy who could never get through the setup >AE>M20D. They always make these things sound like no problem but they are also only using the dongle in the vids. Having never used and external router, does orientation of it have anything to do with performance/signal? I'm planning on using the tray I made that mounts right on a speaker stand that I use form my little Mackie 1202 for the M20D and was hoping I can just put a piece of velcro on the bottom of the AE and stick it to the speaker stand above the mixer. If it needs to be flat I guess I could mount it on like a monitor as it's right there too.

With all due respect, and I do mean that sincerely, this thread seems to have branched into a M20D thread and away from the original Ui12/Ui16 thread. Don't get me wrong, both are interesting however I think some may be interested in hearing how the issues with the UI12/Ui16 are handled by SoundCraft/Harman.
    I believe ultimately products like the Ui!2 and Ui16 will dominate the mixer market for small acoustic groups that have to get by on a limited budget. So....I was just wondering if we shouldn't split this thread?

Just a thought.

garded

oops, sorry, you are right of course. I should have been doing this through private email.

We learn a lot from these threads. It's all good.

Blog Entries

There is a good support forum for that mixer over at Line 6. Likewise, Behringer have an X-Series support forum. Always worth checking for news of firmware updates and model-specific advice.

In general terms, all of these digital mixers are much richer in features than the analog desks we have all been using for years. With those, you really only get a basic input trim, some three (or four if you are lucky) band EQ, and maybe a choice of reverbs. On the higher end desks you may have separate parametric EQ on the monitors and mains, but rarely much more.

These things are totally different. Now, you not only have standard input channel settings, but boat loads of effects, compression, parametric, dynamic, de-essing and auto-notching EQ, and you are also dealing with stuff that just a few years ago only a network engineer had to think about. So there is a learning curve, a steep one in some cases. It is also easy to "throw the kitchen sink" at everything at go overboard with FX and tweaks "because they are there". It is best to avoid that, and to start off with a simple basic mix using concepts you already have some familiarity with. Compression is a particularly two-edged sword in a live context, and needs to be used with care - it can really lower the feedback threshold. If your mixer has presets, check them carefully and if it is on by default, you find you get better results with it off, especially in an acoustic music context.

Tony, I will PM you.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288