Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hank Williams tunes

Default Re: Hank Williams tunes

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    We do "Weary Blues." Excellent song for bluegrass (as demonstrated by both the Nashville Bluegrass Band and O'Brien/Scott).

Jim
    The Wilders also do good a good job on "Weary Blues" but man that O'Brien/Scott version is just off the charts. I usually have to replay it about 5 times every time I listen to it.
    GVD

"Settin the WOods" on Fire and recently "WHy dont you love me like you used to do"
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

The more I listen to it, the more I like The Wayfaring Strangers and they do a killer version of "I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome Too" with T. O'Brien singing.

Quote Originally Posted by ;138109
    I am a big fan of ole Hank Williams. Sr. of course. Anyway love his music but havnt found to much of his tab out there. None actually. Anyone know where i can get some tab of hank's online somewhere? Anyone play his stuff?

If anyone wants to say anything else about the Hillbilly hero go ahead.

Songs i really want are, Honky Tonkin, Honky Tonk Blues, Kowliga, and i would like Hey good looking.

Wouldnt mine others either.

Well thats all i have to say time to count up my typos.
    dear guest - there's not many who can equal hank williams - "the silence of a falling star lights up, a purple sky ..." - and that's the truth.

haven't listened to his stuff in years - now i will - thanks - bill

Registered User Richard.g.hampton's Avatar

We do "Howlin' At The Moon", which seems quite popular at gigs - and not just with the lycanthropic fraternity!

Quote Originally Posted by swampstomper View Post
    I can't believe no one else mentioned I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome. Not recorded by Hank but co-written by him and Bill Monroe, and the very essence of a Hank Williams song. This defined for many of us how to play blues in B natural. There's a really good version on the Bluegrass Reunion CD (ACD-4) with Dawg playing that part and Red Allen / Herb Pederson playing Martin / Monroe vocally.
    Jimmy Martin said Hank wrote it all. I also can't find any attribution of Monroe to Alabama Waltz, only Hank. Not saying he didn't co-write it, but Hank's getting all the credit. 'Course, this is a bio of Hank Williams.

There already was an "Alabama Waltz," before either of them wrote it!
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

[QUOTE "the silence of a falling star lights up, a purple sky ..." -[/QUOTE]

One of the greatest lines ever!

I was listening to one of my Hank Williams CDs the other day and thought I might have heard Bill Monroe playing mandolin on a break. Did he ever record with Hank? Caint say I recall the song at the moment tho. After searching a bit, looks like it was Lost Highway with the mandolin break/fill. http://www.last.fm/music/Hank+Willia...)/Lost+Highway around the 1:40 mark.

We also do "Baby We're Really in Love"
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

We do "Waltz of the Wind." First heard this tune from a 10 disc CD set done a few years ago featuring most of Hank's work, demos too. The tune is credited to Fred Rose but we think Hank helped.
    A particularly nice version of the song is on a CD put out by Led Kaapana playing ukulele, with Alison Krauss singing. Sam Bush on Mando finishes the tune on Mando. Cool!
    Norman E. Pfeifer

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Hank Rules!

We do Weary Blues too.

A little off the topic, but you Hank fans should check out Wayne "The Train" Hancock.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Evenin'....
    I think y'all will find that the first recording of "Waltz of The Wind" was by a feller named Rome Johnson....Larry Sparks rendered a sparkling version of it..

Loafer
    Raymond E. Huffmaster

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GVD View Post
    The Wilders also do good a good job on "Weary Blues" but man that O'Brien/Scott version is just off the charts. I usually have to replay it about 5 times every time I listen to it.
    +1 on O'Brien / Scott - that whole album is killer, too many jewels to mention, though I will metion "House of Gold". "Weary Blues" gave me a brand-new appreciation for Hank Williams' writing, though I've been playing/singing "I Saw The Light" for years.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

This thread prompted me to submit Your Cheatin' Heart to the mandozine tab archive. Check it out and let me know what you think, I may do up a few other Hank songs. It is a tabledit file.

John

Two that I've done in BG format are "You win again" and "There'll be no teardrops tonight".
    Jeff W.

Daley F5
    Gibson A3
    Gibson J45
    Collings D3
    Les Paul Special

The song "The Singing Waterfall" works well with bluegrass instrumentation and is ideal for a pretty mandolin break of the melody.

I'm not sure if it was set to music but when you have a couple of minutes, read "Those Men With Broken Hearts". If that doesn't put a lump in your throat................
    Eastman 615 #83
    Weber Absaroka
    '67 J45
    '07 Larrivee OM-3R

"Trying is the first step on the road to failure."
    - Homer

Blog Entries

A real nice version, Marty Stuart, Kieth Urban, Hank Williams song.

Only singing of Kieth Urban I really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q18OoqeNcks
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I play a medly of tunes - two Patsy Cline and two Hank Williams - Cold Cold Heart, followed by I'm So Lonesome, followed by I Fall to Pieces, ending with Crazy.

I wrote out the tunes from some a complete works Hank Williams piano and vocal line a best of Patsy Cline piano and vocal line books, figured out some great double stops and wrote them in, and I add lots of tremolo. So much fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

In the seasonal Cajun/bluegrass/country band, half the country part of that was Hank:

"Cold Cold Heart," "Your Cheatin' Heart," "I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You," "Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used To Do," "Baby We're Really In Love," "Jambalaya" (we'd often do this in a medley with "Grand Texas," the original inspiration).

In the new duo we've got "Honky Tonkin'," "Hey Good Lookin'," "Ramblin' Man," and "Mind Your Own Business" in the song list, plus most of the above. Also, when the female singer/guitarist joins us, she does "Weary Blues," which I hadn't known before.

Over the years I've also done "Settin' The Woods On Fire," "Honky Tonk Blues," "Half as Much," "I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive," "I Saw The Light," "Kaw Liga," "Lovesick Blues," "Mansion On The Hill," "Move It on Over," "My Bucket’s Got a Hole in It," "Rootie Tootie," "You Win Again," and of course, "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry." I try to talk people out of doing this last one, because it is such a good song and I have heard it get butchered all too often, including by myself. I still think BJ Thomas' version of it is the definitive version, better than Hank's, and one of the best covers of all time.

But to answer Howard33, the only Hank songs I would even attempt to do solo would be "Hey Good Lookin'" and "Lovesick Blues." Those are the only ones I know all the words to, and feel confident enough I could pull them off.

When the fearless leader of the seasonal C/BG/C band was leaving we threw a farewell party. Sometime during the proceedings she insisted on doing "Lovesick Blues." I said, "Are you sure? It's got a dozen chords." As I said, she insisted - fearless leader. What a train wreck! At least *I* knew it. By the time we'd got almost all the way through, people had been dropping like flies. There were about two measures to either take a lead or end the song. I asked the dobro player (name escapes me, member of the NE Country Music Hall Of Fame or something) if he wanted to take a lead. He shook his head most demonstrably. I ended the song real quick. Not a good jam song, unless people know it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I like to sing "When God Comes to Gather His Jewels" at jams. It's a reall pretty heart-tugging song. I play it on the guitar, but it would lend itself to real simply, tremelo-ed mando break. At one time, I also had a simple dobro break down for it as well...I really should start practicing the dobro again.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Went through a 40s-50s honky-tonk period in the early 80's, combined with a good dose of Buck Owens and lots of rockabilly. Hank Sr., Tubb, very early Red Sovine (very funky), T Texas Tyler, etc ... plus Commander Cody goodies.

Check the youtube link below: solo version of "Honky Tonk Blues". I did that song on my On Fire & Ready! CD (with bass/drums/harmonica/mandolin). Ry Cooderish treatment. Also recorded "Low Down Blues" on that same disc, with Gaye Adegbalola from Saffire doing the lead vocal. (Phil Wiggins on blues harp) - New Orleans R&B groove with a lot of Dr. John piano vocab on mandolin, as well as Ann Rabson (Saffire) on piano. Really good blend between those instruments - sometimes sounds like a three handed pianist. Though not a "Hank" tune, the original instrumental "The Mandocrucian Hop" is a whole lot of table steel vocab (ala Don Helms) put onto mando with doublestops and recombined into a new tune. Somewhere between Hank and Bob Wills.

Other Hank Sr. tunes in the repertoire...."I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive", "Moanin' The Blues". There's other songs but I can't remember the the actual titles... like the one that starts with "I went down to the river to watch the fish swim by"

Niles H

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    hthe the actual titles... like the one that starts with "I went down to the river to watch the fish swim by"

Niles H
    Long Gone Lonesome Blues, great tune.