Thread: gibson mandocello tuners sames as mandolin tuners?

Default gibson mandocello tuners sames as mandolin tuners?

I have seen it on previous threads that mandocello tuners are same as those on A3-4 gibson mandolins ?

I am confused because if that is true how would the C string fit through the mandolin tuner eye-holes which are very small.

On my K1, the C string doesn't fit in eye hole and I have had to mess with it to get string to stay on. This always lead me to believe my K1 tuners were not mandocello tuners although they are definitely original gibson tuners from that period. Just always figured someone slapped mandolin tuners on it because easier to find?

Any thoughts?

Blog Entries

Default Re: gibson mandocello tuners sames as mandolin tuners?

There is no difference between mandolin and mandocello tuners. I'm sure the factory just drilled out the holes for the C-strings. That is what I have done several times in the past when I changed out mandocello tuners -- if memory serves I used a 5/56" bit.

Did you ever see the information on mandocello bridges that I put up on your earlier post?
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; May-30-2015 at 8:36am.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.