Thread: possible informal tenor guitar mini-gathering in Western Mass?

Default possible informal tenor guitar mini-gathering in Western Mass?

Since there's no prospect of me making it to Astoria Oregon in the near future, I thought I'd see if there's any interest in tenor guitar folks in the northeast getting together. I'm in Northampton in Western Massachusetts (or "The Big Crunch in the Granola Valley" as my old boss used to call it), which is pretty convenient to most of New England, New York City, etc. I live in a cohousing community and there's plenty of space here to hang out and jam, eat & drink, etc.

This would obviously be very informal with no concerts or workshops, no special guests, etc. - but admission would be free I figure even if only one or two people could make it, it would still be fun, and from there the more the merrier.

I was thinking July, but really I have no definite plans at this point - just looking to see if there's interest. What do you all think?

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

Default Re: possible informal tenor guitar mini-gathering in Western Mass

Interesting. I don't have a TG (yet) but I wish you the best of luck. Keeping my eye on this thread because you never know...
    do good things

I'm in NJ and would likely drive up for this. I might even have my new Herb Taylor tenor by then. I play fiddle tunes and tune GDAE. One of the great things about tenor is how different it sounds depending on tunings and the music played. My brother is a long time 6 string guitar player (jazz, rock, blues) who also plays tenor guitar and baritone uke, both tuned DGBE. He does a lot of chord melody stuff on them and is really good. It's a completely different approach and sounds nothing like what I do. I might be able to get him to go if we can camp and take his dog with.

I'd likely drive down from Montpelier, VT... work allowing. I'd fill the car with tenors. It'd be fun to play... have a tenor tasting.

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

Dburtnett that's sounds awesome!!!
    do good things

6. The following members say thank you to Dan Krhla for this post:

Sounds good to me too depending on when and what else I am committed to do. I am still exploring TG tuning. Started with CGDA then restrung to GDAE but I like the higher tuning but it is easier to remember the mandolin chords. Currently it is in GDAE and I will restring with better sounding strings. I love chord melody on it but mostly just play the rhythm chords.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for the replies! I've reserved July 25th (Saturday) for the date - I hope that works for everyone who was interested. I've reserved the main room & kitchen in our Common House, as well as both of the guest rooms in case anyone wants to make a weekend of the Happy Valley area. There's also a screened porch and outside deck, so plenty of playing space for any weather. I'm open to suggestions for how - or whether - to structure it, depending on how many show up. I love the idea of bringing lots of tenors for a show & tell (and perhaps a buy/sell/trade opportunity) - I'll probably have 7-8 tenors on hand at that point.

The location is Pathways Cohousing, Mountain Laurel Path, Florence, MA 01062. More details to come.

I plan on making this. I'll bring several tenors. My main one is a Herb Taylor tuned GDAE. I play fiddle tunes. I'll probably make it a two or three day trip up from NJ. I want to hit The Button Box in Sunderland and go up to Brattleboro for a bit. I love the valley.

One on each coast, why not.. I'm on the other one.. Goondocks.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture