Thread: Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg - JS Bach

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg - JS Bach

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg - JS Bach

Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg have released JS Bach, their world premier recording of Johann Sebastian Bach's Two-Part Inventions, Organ Duets and Canons from the Art of the Fugue arranged for mandolin and mandocello.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg - JS Bach

Now that's nice. I'll definitely ask for this to be my birthday gift.

What a lovely recording, the sample sold me instantly! I love the nuance of Bach's counterpoint and have enjoyed many of these on piano or organ. The timbre of mandolin and mandocello together breathes new life; so brilliantly that novice listener might even assume this was Bach's original instrumentation. Tutti bravi Mike and Caterina!

4. The following members say thank you to trevdog for this post:

DougC 

The performances are sublime ...but there is SO MUCH REVERB on this recording. I really wish it was a dry studio recording.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

I wouldn't call it REVERB. That is a term better applied to electric instruments. The recordings were made in a live room which in my opinion is more in keeping with the way the music was originally heard.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I assumed it was natural. What, exactly, would you call that, if not reverb? Presence?

I do understand it's more in keeping with the way the music was originally heard. It's just my personal preference (obviously). I find it easier to hear details and individual notes when a recording sounds dryer.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

I guess reverb is as good a word as any. I agree it would be interesting to hear a "dry" recording. That is one of the great things about music...how it can change with the enviornment it is played in.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

German bowl backs have that "Reverb" built in from what I have been able to hear. The live pieces from Chris Acquavella always sound like he has his reverb set at 11. The dryest I have ever heard is this video:
    And Mike Marshall's Monteleone Mandocello can ring for days, so it would be interesting to know what the studio was like when the recorded this album.

My copy is waiting for me at home. I am very much looking forward to listening to this cd!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkdboyd For This Useful Post:

Professional Cat Herder Phil Vinyard's Avatar

I'm hoping they'll publish a book of the arrangements they used.
    Phil Vinyard
    Gibson Jam Master F Standard #12 May 13, 2009
    Gibson Model A #67336 ca. 1921
    Harwood Bowlback ca. 1900
    Trinity College TM-325 Octave Mandolin
    Freshwater Mandocello
    Krutz 200 Upright Bass

I just downloaded it from Amazon yesterday and've been listening to it since then. Excellent work. Compares favorably with Chris Thile's and Bela Fleck's similar Bach endeavors (which I've also been listening to.)

Look at the liner notes. "Additional reverb added at..(German studio name).

Not a deal breaker for me, I hear natural sounding, well played instruments on a great recording (listening to the CD on a high quality nearfield system).

Mike/Caterina were there, and I am sure they know how the instruments sounded. If additional tweaks to the recording were needed to get the sound they wanted, I wouldn't call them out on it. Besides, who is to say a flat transfer of the studio recording would be any better, perhaps the intent of the studio recording was to get the detail and dynamic range, to be further produced into the final product.

PJ Doland, I would be curious what format you are listening to, the CD or iTunes. Perhaps the mastered for iTunes is to blame?

Now that you brought the reverb thing up, time to put on the Grado RS1 headphones and see what those say, my system is rather revealing, and I would be curious to see if my initial thoughts on the quality of the recording stand.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

I listened to the 320kbps high-quality stream on Spotify through my Westone 4R in-ear quad-driver headphones.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

Blog Entries

My copy is from Amazon and I'm sure I'm hearing what they intended on my Grado headphones. And it is superb. Baroque music is often played on old churches with exactly this kind of echo. Of course it is a matter of personal taste and Avi Avital has less echo on his recording. A quick listen to Chris Thile jumps to really dry and sort of un-natural sounding Bach. And then over to Hilary Hahn on violin and yikes, she has the echo going like in a huge, marble cathedral. So the three bears huh? Momma bear is the middle ground and Caterina is the momma bear. I love her! And you too Mike, ha, ha.

Only Four inventions in so far, listening on the headphones, and I agree DouC. Superb!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Blog Entries

I bought it as an MP3 download... Love it.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I need to wait a few days for my emusic credits to refresh. So happy that it's available via that 'record club'-like service. Can't wait to hear.

Questions of 'how close to mic' and consequently 'how much ambient sound in the recording' and 'where to record' make a tremendous difference in the sound of a recording. To my more contemporary oriented ear, many classical recordings sound as if they're in a cave or down a well -- or in a large stone cathedral - and for this listener it can be very off-putting.

As for choice of American v European style mandolins, here's what Thile had to say in my interview with him for the Cafe a while back:
    "I haven't interfaced with the classical mandolin scene that much, so I don't really know. I've talked to Caterina (Lichtenberg) a little about it. She prefers the bowl-back mandolin, probably for the same reasons that I prefer the American mandolin. That's what she's used to. And the funny thing is, she defends the European mandolin with the same language that I use for the American mandolin. She finds more complexity of tone (in the bowl-back) — more sound around the sound — and she describes the F-5 as sounding more delicate. And to my ear it's the opposite. I think that bowl-back mandolins sound less complex and less substantial. I would never consider switching, but that's just me. It's not an indictment of that style of instrument."
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

I think it is important to learn about the other styles of music and other ways of doing things. It is good to expand your own realm of abilities but it is also good to understand how other musicians understand music.

This includes recording engineers. And the listening public.

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Mike and Caterina got a nice mention in the prominent music blog Slipped Disc, one of the few music blogs I follow closely because the owner is incredibly connected to the music community and routinely shares information I find important.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Feb-01-2016 at 10:59am. Reason: removed broken link

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

I finally received this from Amazon.ca yesterday. I am listening to the glorious music now. I love the beautifully shot photos of both Caterina and Mike in the liner notes.