Thread: Irish Bouzouki Newbie (a bit frustratered): Ozark Celtic 2243?

Question Irish Bouzouki Newbie (a bit frustratered): Ozark Celtic 2243?

Hello there,

This is my first post here. I am an experienced guitarist, and have decided to branch out into other stringed instruments, the Irish Bouzouki being my first choice.

I originally tried 2 APC 308s. The first arrived with the neck bent backward, and exceedingly buzz-y. I adjusted the truss rod, but it was still very buzz-y. Either the bridge was too low, or the top had sunk. I am not sure which, but it was unplayable. The second was playable, but there was a crack on the top.

So, after sending that one back, I decided to try to up my game and get one of their 310s. It is going back too, because it has the same issue as the first 308. That is the end of my attempts at obtaining an APC bouzouki.

I decided to try an Ozark Celtic 2243 Bouzouki, which I have just ordered from Thomann (should be here by Friday or Saturday). Does anyone have any experience with this model? It appears to have a compensated plastic or bone saddle, so I am wondering if that will make the sound less warm and brighter.

My budget is up to €700, not a Pfennig more, unfortunately. I am also wary of ordering a Thomann model as many of these seem to be made by APC. I know some people here have had good experiences with APC, but I am unfortunately not one of them.

Other than the Ozark, can anyone recommend me a model within my budget? I don't want built in electronics or anything fancy. Just a playable instrument with good sound.

Thanks for your time!

Dreamcatcher

Default Re: Irish Bouzouki Newbie (a bit frustratered): Ozark Celtic 2243

For the money the Ozarks are fine instruments. I have set up a few and played one or two of them and they would be a good choice for you to begin your bouzouki career.

I was actually in my local music shop recently returning a banjo I'd been putting a new head on and sorting some fret problems for one of the shop's customers and he got talking about bouzoukis and decided to try an Ozark that was hanging on the wall. He asked me to play it so that he could get an idea what it might sound like and what it could do, and not long into this he bought it! This was a straight-off-the-wall instrument without any work done and with the strings it came with. I was not working in collaboration with the shop owner, who happens to be a friend!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

Zoukboy, I think Paul's instruments look great, but are out of my budget, unfortunately.

John,

Can you please tell me what, if any, issues you have come across with the Ozarks?

Does the plastic/bone (not sure which) saddle in the bridge make the sound brighter rather than 'warmer?'

I live in Germany, but there is a good chance we'll be visiting Ireland sometime this year (possibly Dublin, but definitely Galway, and definitely the Craggy Island Parish House, lol). Would it be a good idea to wait and then see what I can find second-hand there?

Again, thanks for your time!

Dreamcatcher

You might want to visit the website of Kieran Moloney in Galway at http://www.moloneymusic.com/ to see if he has anything in your price range. I have no idea how much he keeps in stock...but if he has a few, you might find one to meet your budget. I've never been to the shop, but he has a nice website.
    Keith Newell "Roger Landes" model mandolin
    1917 Gibson A-1 mandolin
    Paddy Burgin short-scale (21.25") octave mandolin/bouzouki
    Dermot McIlroy AS-16
    1920s German fiddle

Quote Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
    You might want to visit the website of Kieran Moloney in Galway at http://www.moloneymusic.com/ to see if he has anything in your price range. I have no idea how much he keeps in stock...but if he has a few, you might find one to meet your budget. I've never been to the shop, but he has a nice website.
    I owned the ozark and apc and the apc is far superior in every way. The nut width is a problem for some but coming from guitar it shouldn't be a problem. Check Kierans website, great value and excellent customer service. Go for the b308.

No experience with Ozark, but I believe they are rebranded Hora instruments, made in Romania. It will be good for a beginner only if it's properly set up. And if they are like Horas they have lousy strings and lousy set up out of the factory. And Thomann does no set up. So the first thing you should do is seek out someone who knows bouzouki set up and have him do a proper set up on it with decent strings like D'Addarios or GHS. This will add to your cost but it will be money well spent believe me.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    I owned the ozark and apc and the apc is far superior in every way. The nut width is a problem for some but coming from guitar it shouldn't be a problem. Check Kierans website, great value and excellent customer service. Go for the b308.
    Thanks for your reply. It is a shame my experience with the 3 APC models I've ordered was not as happy as yours. As I mentioned above, I tried two 308s, each having its own issues. I also tried the 310 (which just made it to the post office back to Amazon.de before it closed this evening).

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    No experience with Ozark, but I believe they are rebranded Hora instruments, made in Romania. It will be good for a beginner only if it's properly set up. And if they are like Horas they have lousy strings and lousy set up out of the factory. And Thomann does no set up. So the first thing you should do is seek out someone who knows bouzouki set up and have him do a proper set up on it with decent strings like D'Addarios or GHS. This will add to your cost but it will be money well spent believe me.
    Hi,

They are made in Romania, but I am not sure it is Hora. I know a proper luthier who has done work on my Martin and Lakewood guitars, and he should have no trouble doing the set-up. I'll just have to see. There are no local shops (Stuttgart) that carry Irish bouzoukis, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    John,

Can you please tell me what, if any, issues you have come across with the Ozarks?

Does the plastic/bone (not sure which) saddle in the bridge make the sound brighter rather than 'warmer?'

Dreamcatcher
    Just the points being made by Multidon re strings and set-up, though as I said the one in the shop played well enough from the wall. With the set-up and new strings you'll have a serviceable instrument. Can't really say definitively whether the tone is affected much by the saddle as I have only heard them with the saddles they have come with, but it's an area you could experiment with on your own instrument.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    With the set-up and new strings you'll have a serviceable instrument.
    I agree, budget for good strings and replace those that come with the instrument. You can tweak these instruments up to a point, but only so far.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Again, thanks for sharing your experience!

Right now, I am not sure what to do. I've canceled the Ozark (though Thomann, as is its wont, is shipping it anyway, but my butt is covered if I don't accept the package from DHL), but I've done that with guitars before, and caved at the final moment when the doorbell rang.

I am considering ordering an APC from Moloney's. The probability that there will be issues after being properly set-up and inspected are probably near zero, my only concern would be the changing levels of temperature/humidity in transit. They don't seem to have a 308 spruce in stock, though. I am not sure I want a cedar top. My (limited) experience with cedar-topped guitars is that they are a little mushy when it comes to strumming.

On a side note, my wife lived in Galway for 10 years, and knows exactly where Moloney's is. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

I have an APC octave mandolin that I got from Moloney's. He is very nice to deal with and I think you can be pretty sure that anything leaving his shop will be well set up.

In Germany, there is also this option. It is a few Pfennigs more than your budget, unfortunately - 50 euro, to be exact:

http://www.bosch-guitars.de/Instrume...e_modelle.html

If you're talking about the Romanian Ozark bouzoukis, they are fine if bought cheaply (mine was GBP70 used, i.e. EUR100) and have a certain charm, but if your budget is EUR700 you can do much better.

I haven't got any experience with APC, but another alternative may be the Ashbury Style E zouks designed by Phil Davidson. I've seen them at music stalls at festivals and had a brief pick on them and they look to be genuinely fine instruments. Can't say anything about the tone -- too much background noise when I tried them -- but playability and workmanship was very nice indeed. RRP is GBP499.00 (EUR675.00), so it's just within your budget.

Link

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

Zoukboy, I think Paul's instruments look great, but are out of my budget, unfortunately.

John,

I live in Germany, but there is a good chance we'll be visiting Ireland sometime this year (possibly Dublin, but definitely Galway, and definitely the Craggy Island Parish House, lol). Would it be a good idea to wait and then see what I can find second-hand there?

Again, thanks for your time!

Dreamcatcher
    I think that would be a really good idea and see if you can pick one second-hand and play it right there and then. At least you would not have to deal with sight unseen bouzoukis when buying on-line and your experience has not been good so far.
    Nic Gellie

Ok, again thanks. I am not going to accept the Ozark from Thomann tomorrow (holiday here, today). I am going to deal with Kieran Moloney in Galway, from whom I feel confident of getting a proper instrument.

Cheers!

Dreamcatcher

EDIT: I spoke with Kieran over the phone, and have ordered the APC B308 Cedar. Can't wait!
    Last edited by Dreamcatcher; May-14-2015 at 10:28am.

Give us a review when you get it. Kieren is a really nice person to deal with.
    Nic Gellie

Will do!

Hello, Dreamcatcher, I hope you're doing well.
    Concerning APC bouzoukis. I own one, and my previous instrument was a Hora from Romania, the cheapest one. And you know, when it comes to sound, APC is simply amazing. Mine was 280€, and it still has solid spruce top. The sound is really nice and warm, and the neck is the most comfortable I've ever played.
    But I totally agree with you concerning their quality issues. Mine has really strange way of glueing the sides with each other - this place is not round but has slight angle. My luthier told me that it may become a serious problem with time. And the body has some, uhmm, bubbles - I mean, it's not even all over. Mine had no strap button at the bottom, and that was probably caused by this angle. So to sum up the instrument is great. It sounds simply amazing after a Hora, it looks wonderful, the body is big and the neck is really comfortable. But I'm not sure this axe will last long. That's my personal experience, and remember that mine is the cheapest one.
    Hope this helps.