Thread: Columbia River OR

Default Columbia River OR

Hello to everyone out there in mandolinland. My partner and I are planning to camp and fish on the Columbia River in Oregon this summer and I'm interested in finding out what I can about the music scene up there. I'm a celtic/classical player but I'm open to whatever music wise. I know the river is long and covers a lot of territory but we're pretty open about where we might end up on it. Any info ya'll might be able to share would be great. Thanks everyone

Default Re: Columbia River OR

Yea , Columbia The river is 1,243 miles (2,000 km) long. Headwaters are in Canada.

Im at the westernmost end of it The Estuary where it enters the sea, Astoria .
    camping is at Fort Stevens state Park http://www.oregonstateparks.org/inde...age&parkId=129

there is a KOA for Motorhome and trailer camping too.

Fishing on the River, a number of charter boat operators operate out of the West Moorage, Here.

Portland the largest city in the state is 150 mikes Upstream, at the northern end of The Willamette river

where it flows into the Columbia. PDX Airport is on the Riverbank east of the City.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Columbia River Bluegrass Festival 7/24-7/27. http://www.columbiagorgebluegrass.net/. Lots of other festivals 100 miles either side of the river, pretty much any weekend after 6/1. http://www.oregonbluegrass.org/, http://washingtonbluegrassassociation.org/..You'll miss the Tenor Guitar Foundation gathering in Astoria at the end of this month.

Yea at least this Year the TGG is 28-31, The weekend ahead of the Goonies Movie 30th anniversary weekend 6/4~7.

a much bigger room seller for the motels & hotels. it was same weekend 5 years ago..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

mrmando. Give us some dates. There are several festivals in that area during the Summer,
    covering all styles of music.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

Ok thanks for the info. I'll be heading that way about the first if June, and probably be up there thru August. <Removed by Moderator. Posting guidelines violation>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-25-2015 at 7:12am.

The River of the West Mandolin Camp run by Brian Oberlin is held near Corbett, OR June 4-7.

My BG organization has a festival this June 12th. 13th & 14th, 2015 where the Snake flows into the Columbia. May not count as we're ~30 miles from Oregon.

A folk org I'm in has a free folk festival Labor Day weekend on the Columbia.

If you stay East of the mountains be prepared for HOT weather. We had basically no snow this winter; the Columbia is still flowing well but the rest of the NW is drying right up.

I've just noticed the Pickers' Festival in Goldendale (Wash.) on June 5-7. I'll be passing through about that time and may stop in. Seems to be mainly a camping and jamming weekend, but it looks like there's also evening concerts. Anyone know more about it?

Tenor Guitar Gathering Ended last night with a concert by 2 solo mandolin players

Evan Marshall and Brian Oberlin , then 2nd set the 2 played 2 part pieces

Rossini's William Tell Overture,, the big fireworks finale

Evan's solo MP3 is on the site, here. http://www.mandolincafe.net/mp3/evanmarshall.mp3
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Spent a few hours at the Goldendale festival last night. Perfect weather and a very nice bunch of people, mostly from around Washington and Oregon. Small festival with no headliners but lots of jamming. Also no charge except for camping. Got supper and listened to a good open mic group, then jammed in a few circles before heading out.

Seems many of the folks there were heading east to Pasco for next weekend's festival there.

So we've been hangin out on the WA side of the river, and I got say, it's pretty cool up here. We're gonna be pointing towards Portland by the end of the week. Does anyone know of any Celtic jams in the area?

You'll pass through Stevenson on your way to Portland.
    [If you stay on the Washington side.]
    Sierra Hull will be at their festival this weekend. With
    several others.
    The next weekend is Pickathon. Billy Strings and Don Julin
    will be there. Also Mandolin Orange. Over 50 groups and
    soloists of all ilks. I would think there would be some Celtic
    music going on somewhere.
    vincit qui se vincit

Cool thanks, is the Pickathon in Stevenson as well?

Portland area.
    vincit qui se vincit

Cool, that's where I am right now