Thread: Nylon String Octave???

Smile Nylon String Octave???

Okay so I have a baritone ukulele that I have strung GDAE like and octave. It sounds gorgeous when finger-picking. It has me craving this instrument:

Classical or concert size guitar body (flat top)
    21-22" scale length
    4 courses of nylon strings - just like an octave

I've done some googling and found a ten string, but nothing like i described.

Any thoughts?
    Adam

www.santabarbarasessions.com
    www.adamphillipsmusic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/santabarbarasessions
    Collings MT2
    Big Muddy M2
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber Gallitan Octave
    Picotte Mandocello

Default Re: Nylon String Octave???

Good luck with your search.
    I haven't found an 8 string baritone ukulele suitable for octave tuning.
    I do have an acoustic/electric 8 string tenor ukulele in CGDA (tenor) mandola tuning with Nylgut strings.
    It sounds really nice acoustic and plugged in.

I do have an acoustic/electric 8 string tenor ukulele in CGDA (tenor) mandola tuning with Nylgut strings.
    It sounds really nice acoustic and plugged in.
    Could you post sound samples of your instrument (mp3 OR youtube video) ?
    Thanks

For baritone to octave, pls see the link below
    https://thesession.org/discussions/32252

You could contact Walt at http://www.kuhlman-wolf.com/

He might have a few ideas for you.

Thanks for the ideas guys! It's a "someday" instrument for sure, but I think it will sound cool.
    Adam

www.santabarbarasessions.com
    www.adamphillipsmusic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/santabarbarasessions
    Collings MT2
    Big Muddy M2
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber Gallitan Octave
    Picotte Mandocello

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Being a perv, I might consider obtaining an inexpensive classical guitar, adding two machines, and cutting nut and saddle/bridge for four courses. Or, with less surgery, just re-do the nut and saddle/bridge to make it an octave version of a 6-string tenor, with two strings doubled in octaves. Those are the first and third strings on my Kala KA-6, tuned G4, C4-C3, E4, A3-A4. (I flipped the top course to better emphasize the higher note.) Even my non-luthier non-skills could probably handle such a mod.
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

I might consider obtaining an inexpensive classical guitar, adding two machines, and cutting nut and saddle/bridge for four courses
    I have seen someone doing this, with a Rogue baritone ukulele.
    If you use a real classical guitar, the nut width is 2" and it's very hard to play.

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    I have seen someone doing this, with a Rogue baritone ukulele.
    If you use a real classical guitar, the nut width is 2" and it's very hard to play.
    I play six doubled courses on 12-string guitar (1.85 inches) and Cümbüş (1.6 inches), also four tripled courses on cuatro-menor (1.7 inches) -- but yes, those are steel strings, mostly thinner than monofilaments. Setting four courses of mono on a 2-inch neck might require lighter strings and tuning-up a few steps. Or is your point that the 2-inch classical neck is too big for comfort?

I've just restrung a guitar-tuned fretted 12-string Cümbüş (21.5 inch scale) to fifths tuning in five courses from C2 to E4 -- I may add a C5 course when I get comfortable with it. Call it a bowlback banjo-cittern. Since my fifths-tuned playing so far has only been on mandolin, it *is* difficult to play, a real stretch. Yes, a 24-25-26-inch scale classical-guitar-size octave mando would also be a real challenge needing different techniques. Oh goddess, not ANOTHER learning experience!
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

Or is your point that the 2-inch classical neck is too big for comfort?
    Yes, I converted an acoustic guitar with 1-3/4" nut width to OM, it took me many weeks to be able to play tunes properly, but my fingers have to fly quickly between frets. I think this will also apply to nylon strings as well. I have seen many mando cello (manufactured as OM, not converted from guitar) with the same nut width and scale length. The Eastman 805 is one good example.

I am in the process of converting another acoustic guitar with 1.5" nut width and see how it plays (I have small fingers). Most likely I will treat it as 1.4" nut width (determined by where the string grooves are on the nut).

I've thought of trying such a conversion, but never have, and have also thought that a small classical guitar would be a better candidate than a baritone uke, if for no other reason than because adding two tuners might be easier to find room for than having to double the amount. Also, of course, there was the question of the nut width, not to mention finding a guitar of suitable quality at such a small size. Here I found someone selling a 1/4 size nylon string classical style guitar (NFI) that gets surprisingly decent reviews as a travel instrument for adults, as it will tune the same as a regular guitar with the appropriate strings, has a 2 way truss rod, has allegedly good intonation, and comes set up by the seller. The scale is only 18.5" and the nut width is 1 11/16". An Amazon reviewer of this guitar said it would fit in a baritone uke case. Just putting it out there as an idea, FWIW. Maybe one day I'll try it.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

12. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post: