Thread: Elkhorn Mango

Default Elkhorn Mango

Man oh man did this one in the classifieds make my eyes pop out! The pick guard alone is worth your time to click over to the elkhorn website for a closer look. No financial interest, although for a moment I had to wonder how much money I could pool together by quick-selling my own three instruments. sorry for the misspelling in this thread's title, but I couldn't figure out how to edit it after the fact.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; May-08-2015 at 3:23pm. Reason: spelling correction, builder's name
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Default Re: Elkhart Mango

Here is the pickguard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9344277_orig.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	133849
    Bill Snyder

Gorgeous figure on the pickguard, especially against the tortoise binding. A beauty.

Ooh, MAN! I love mango and am not that far from Elkhart!
    Such a teaser.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Mango wood? Sweet!

For future reference: You can fix a messed up thread title within three hours (I think) of starting it by going to the edit pane and then Go Advanced.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Elkhorn Mango

Hey, Robb Brophy at Elkhorn Mandolins here. Just wanted everyone to know that this thread was to be titled Elkhorn Mango. Original post must have been made on a Mac as they like to change Elkhorn to Elkhart. Just an FYI. Enjoy!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Scott corrected the title on the OP so that should fix it, unless someone uses Reply from a misspelled post. I think.)

Anyway, beautiful work on this and the rest on your website. Great idea, using unusual woods for the back and sides. Makes each mandolin unique and distinctive. I can relate to mango wood because that's a nickname a former bandmate hung on me, and because it's mango season here now. That's a big deal here, with people going around trying to get as many as they can from whatever trees they can get to. There's a big one right on my corner, and they're looking just about ripe.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I figured it out before posting the smarty pants reference to Elkhart and the tropical fruit. I am not so dim as to realize the typo before I opened it. But, thanks for the clarification.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Robb,

Great work. You are really opening up great new creativity in wood! So pretty!

Marc