Thread: Crosspicking and pick direction

Question Crosspicking and pick direction

I've always had trouble with crosspicking fast. Slow tunes are no problem, but there seems to be a speed limit. Somewhere along the line I ran into a guitar instruction video where the fellow was doing crosspicking using what he called "rest strokes", i. e. driving the pick through one string (course) till it comes to rest on the adjacent string (course). This makes sense to me as there's no wasted motion, but I'm having a little trouble getting the hang of it.
    Lately I'm working on this pattern on the strings -> 3rd 2nd 1st 2nd 3rd 2nd 1st ...
    I can do this comfortably using DUDUDUD strokes, but there is that speed limit I've never been able to get past. Using rest strokes, the pattern would be DDUUDDUU. I've been practising that regularly for the last week or so. As much sense as it makes, it still feels awkward -- and slow.
    So I'm wondering which of these patterns is recommended. Or do I just need to pick one and practice it for another 500 hours or so?

Thanks,
    --Chase

Default Re: Crosspicking and pick direction

Hi Varin,

This topic can get fiercely debated on this forum (at least it has in the past). The McReynolds' camp will say that cross-picking is a series of pick stroke sequences (D-D-U-D-D-U-D-U), etc.) used to approximate a banjo roll. The bible on this is the book Andy Statman put out back in the 70s on Jesse McReynolds. Find a copy of that or Jack Tottle's book, Bluegrass Mandolin, that has a section on Jesse.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Mand.../dp/0825601541

Alternating picking across the strings is a series of D-U-D-U-D-and so on...

Robert

I did a search and saw some of the threads debating what is or isn't crosspicking. Personally, I don't really care what it's called. I want to know which (if either) of the two approaches is the better way to play this sequence of strings.

--Chase

They really should be thought of as two uniquely different techniques for different applications, IMHO. Because of the "weight" of the down strokes the McReynold's cross picking style creates distinct phrasing.

Alternating and Cross picking are different animals. Both are good to have in your arsenal. True practitioner's of McReynolds style are few and fare between.

Jordan Ramsey who frequents the forum can add more to this than I can if he sees this post. He's adept at the McReynold's cross picking style.

Robert

It was my understanding that Geroge Shufler on guitar used DDU McReynolds used DUU. Both were played in a "roll" by that I mean the timing was equal between all notes like a banjo three finger roll. The banjo player has three picks to make those notes we have one. Does that mean we are 3 times the musician the banjo player is?