Thread: Mandobird Madness

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Default Mandobird Madness

Thought this might be of interest.......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandobirdy.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	133803
    Basically, I was handed a Mandobird with the instruction "Do what you like"......so I did
    Pickup covers are 0.5mm nickel silver hammered over a former and polished, surrounds are 2mm brass as is the majority of the vibrato (apart from the shortened Strat block.
    The metalwork is polished and nickel plated.
    I would have loved to do a spring steel unit like the Gibson Vibrola but unfortunately, don`t have the skills/tools but this one works a treat....shame about the looks

I remember seeing an article on the net ages ago about a guy that made a repro Gibson unit but can`t find it now...........

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soundfarmer Pete For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandobird Madness

That is the coolest MB I've seen. nice work!

Blog Entries

Pete you're scratching my emando itch.
    If I didn't have a year's worth of "folk" gigs planned, I'd be busting out the emando collection and rewiring my Marshall for 240v AC.

Daniel

Wow - a whammy - I want one. I Bet that bird can soar...sweet.

Love the added whammy
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

I LOVE IT! Please rig up my Bird as well. Love the whammy bar and retro knobs.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

This looks great! I've wanted a whammy bar since forever. I use extra light strings on my electric so I can great some pretty wild bends, up to three frets, and for downward swoops there's always the neck bend deal. but a whammy bar is the real thing. I've never had the nerve to do any serious mods - don't believe I have the skill set, let alone tools and work shop - but seeing that is giving me ideas ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Why is it called a Whammy ?

Names for the device include "whammy bar", the latter named in reference to guitarist Lonnie Mack's aggressive, rapid manipulation of the pitch-bending device in his 1963 song "Wham!".

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

really nice, hows the tunning when you use the bar will it stay in tune , i have been thinking about putting one in one of my 5 string octaves
    doe
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Any video to share the sound? I get a decent voice from my Mandobird through a pedal but the additional pickup would be most welcome. How different is the technique using a wammy on a short scale? I'm imagining the strings will have a shorter lifespan but what about other effects?
    That thing looks fantastic, very impressive work.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Sorry, no video....It`s on the way to the owner but soundwise, it`s just a typical Almuse single coil sound.
    The whammy works fine - the Brazilians have been at it for years but one area I very nearly came unstuck was the spring cavity.
    Basically, this is a Strat type trem with the block cut down in width. I routed a cavity in the back the same length as a Strat but although 3 springs are generally enough in a guitar, due to the higher tension, 4 mando strings tugging against 3 springs meant I managed to get away with it - just! ....the spring claw being screwed right up to the end of the cavity.

Actually, I should have expected this since a while back, I built a 5 string with a cut down Floyd Rose and that needed all 5 springs....

I`m now wondering whether to try and make a "Migsby"......time to poke around on ebay and see what`s available in aluminium channel...........