Thread: Peter Abnett Retires

Default Peter Abnett Retires

I notice that Peter's name has come up regularly in these fora, and his instruments have generally been highly regarded.

I thought this might be a good place and time to let the community know that Peter has retired from making instruments. He is now in his late 70s, and he is feeling his age. Several months ago, he decided not to make any more instruments. We all wondered whether he might be lured back into the workshop, but it was not to be, and the doors are now permanently closed. It is time for Peter to enjoy his retirement.

I'm Peter's daughter-in-law and I own one of his mandolins as well as the only virginal he ever made. His son, my husband owns one of his rare lutes and several of his guitars. Our daughter also owns and plays a guitar made for her by her grandfather. We cherish all of his instruments. He continues to play the first instrument that he made some time in the late fifties. I believe it is the only banjo he made... I must ask him to verify that fact.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nik Abnett For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Peter Abnett Retires

Best wishes to Mr. Abnett in his retirement and his contributions to the evolution of the Irish Bouzouki are much appreciated.
    Steve

4. The following members say thank you to Steve L for this post:

Welcome to the café Nik.

We all think that your father made a wonderful contribution to modern bouzoukis, mandolas, and citterns. He will be sorely missed although I am sure that his instruments out there will be a testament to his wonderful work as a luthier. We may presume that he was the godfather to the modern irish bouzouki. If I remember correctly his eyesight was failing him for one of the reasons he stopped making instruments.

Looks like his immediate family have a nice collection of his instruments from your post.
    Nic Gellie

6. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

I missed this post until now... Nik, thank you so much for this information and very best wishes to your father-in-law; indeed he has certainly earned an enjoyable and relaxing retirement. I will love hearing the sounds of his instruments in the recordings of great players like Brian McDonagh and Donal Lunny for the rest of my life.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Abnett View Post
    I notice that Peter's name has come up regularly in these fora, and his instruments have generally been highly regarded.

I thought this might be a good place and time to let the community know that Peter has retired from making instruments. He is now in his late 70s, and he is feeling his age. Several months ago, he decided not to make any more instruments. We all wondered whether he might be lured back into the workshop, but it was not to be, and the doors are now permanently closed. It is time for Peter to enjoy his retirement.

I'm Peter's daughter-in-law and I own one of his mandolins as well as the only virginal he ever made. His son, my husband owns one of his rare lutes and several of his guitars. Our daughter also owns and plays a guitar made for her by her grandfather. We cherish all of his instruments. He continues to play the first instrument that he made some time in the late fifties. I believe it is the only banjo he made... I must ask him to verify that fact.
    Hi Nik
    Peter made the best guitar I have ever played 46 years ago. Created specially for me, it bears the model number Jack Warshaw 01. Still in tip top condition thanks to Peter's 2010 refurb, playing better than ever. It's there on all the songs of all my albums. I have not yet retired. The guitar will stay in the family.
    Thank you Peter for making such a difference to my life. May your days be long and happy.
    Best wishes
    Jack