Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Web page

Blog Entries

Default Re: Web page

Thank you for hosting Lynn Dudenbostle's build section because it is immensely useful for first-time builders like me. I hope you will find a place for it on your new site.

Hah! This is a 3-1/2 year old site and I was about to say that Peter had since updated his but then I did look at it and it still looks like it is the one originally started with frontpage. Is that software still in existence. Wow! A vintage web site. I guess Peter prefers to spend his time building mandolins and not messing with web work. I can understand that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ...Is that software still in existence...
    I have several copies sitting in a warehouse in Wisconsin that were never opened and are probably older. I have no idea if they still support it. I work with pages created with it quite often in the course of doing my job.

I'm real old school. Give me a text editor. Sure there are easier ways to do it but I know what it does.

My son thinks I'm nuts. He does it for a living.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Wow, that might be worth a fortune on the vintage software market. The last web site I worked on was setting up an ecommerce one in Wordpress. Seems to be the way things go these days. But even falling behind a few months you can find yourself lost in the technology shuffle.

I could do hand coding in my heyday but nothing more than CSS and HTML.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mandolin & Mandola maker

A vintage web site. I guess Peter prefers to spend his time building mandolins and not messing with web work. I can understand that.
    Yep, definitely vintage. First created using Frontpage way back in 1998 if I remember correctly. Has expanded over the years, I added the construction section, and various new models of mandolins and guitars, but essentially the same site, and most pages are table based. The construction section is turning into the most painful and slow to migrate because of the sheer volume of images, and being table based, I have to copy every image one at a time. Getting there, but it is slow. Frontpage is now a free download as is Expression Web, and fortunately they both still run on Windows 10. I was expecting Microsoft to break Frontpage, and then I would really be in trouble, but it hasn't happened yet.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Wow, Frontpage, that brings back memories! Most bad, lol.

Expression Web was nice back in the day. I think you did pretty good with the website, the use of a responsive design is key for better rankings on google. If you have a decent template and framework you can work with, then keep it simple. Code to standards, use CSS correctly, and you should be able to easily move your content to the next best thing, 20 years down the road!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Code to standards, use CSS correctly, and you should be able to easily move your content to the next best thing, 20 years down the road!
    Ha ha, that is the plan.

These days you don't really have to waste your valuable building time on dealing directly with code. You can just set up a Wordpress site and copy and paste what you need from the existing site. That is probably just as easy as trying to import the code into a different platform. Also, Wordpress has plugins that allow you to do things you can never do like ecommerce for instance that you can;t do with straight HTML.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Also, Wordpress has plugins that allow you to do things you can never do like ecommerce for instance that you can;t do with straight HTML.
    Sure, you can do ecommerce with HTML. Here's the code you need.

"Please send orders via USPS First Class Mail. Money order, Western Union money orders, personal checks, or gold bullion accepted."

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Sure, you can do ecommerce with HTML. Here's the code you need.

"Please send orders via USPS First Class Mail. Money order, Western Union money orders, personal checks, or gold bullion accepted."
    Hah! That is commerce without the “e”.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Mandolin & Mandola maker

You don't need to use Wordpress to do ecommerce. The template I am using supports ecommerce, plus a whole lot of other stuff, but I won't be implementing ecommerce.

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    You don't need to use Wordpress to do ecommerce. The template I am using supports ecommerce, plus a whole lot of other stuff, but I won't be implementing ecommerce.
    I didn't say that you needed to use Wordpress, only that it makes it easy without getting into lots of coding. Way back when we were mostly using HTML an ecommerce website could cost into five figures due to programmer's costs.

These days, it is true that many hosts provide ecommerce solutions.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

Let me preface this by saying, I started coding in HTML 3. I loved it. I got busy doing other things, and web design went in radical directions away from simple HTML and for good reason. But my skills rotted. So now I'm the web design equivalent of a grumpy old man shouting at the kids to get of my lawn and grousing about why the phone has to have a screen instead of a good old fashioned dial.

I do run a few different web sites, one for myself and one for an Americana collective I am a part of. I manage a couple of sites at my day job too.

<grumpy old man>
    I detest the fact that everything is going to a mobile interface. It's a worse artistic degradation than the shift from 12" album covers to 5" CD covers. I hate having to design for the smallest screens, it's like mixing and mastering recording for laptop speakers. Technology is killing artistic expression in the market place.
    </grumpy old man>

I've used Wix for my sites. I'm happy with the interface, the flexibilty, and the service.

At work we're using an outdated version of Joomla for one site and Squarespace for another. (Don't ask)

Squarespace is a bit more limiting than Wix, but it is very mobile friendly. Their support is very good. I have thought about migrating my personal stuff over to them.

Joomla is nearly opaque to me. Nothing is intuitive, terminology is idiosyncratic, and menus are not easy to navigate.

I have dabbled in Wordpress and hated it. Too much like work. I can't keep the design in my head while navigating the various locations for bits that go here there and everywhere. To be fair, I should probably give Wordpress a serious go. But I don't really want to design websites for a living.

So there you go Peter! My 2 cents.

Hope it's helpful.
    Daniel

Daniel: I am in the same boat and still maintain a few sites I designed years ago. A few were in Joomla. Now I am pretty much retired from full-on web design. I also recommend food to do go to template based sites like Wix and others. The advantage also is that most of the templates or themes are responsive meaning they work nicely on various devices like phone and tablets.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: