Thread: Natural top finish - any tips?

Default Natural top finish - any tips?

My current build has a sitka top that looks good enough for a natural finish. I've never gone natural for the top - is there any tips to make the grain pop out even more? Does anyone add a little toner? Course grit, fine grit, 220 grit? Should I clean it with anything different than normal?

Default Re: Natural top finish - any tips?

Keep it clean, sand it to 220, raise the grain a couple of times, be sure all glue is removed from the surface, remove or fix all dings or other small damage, that's about it. Oh, and did I mention keep it clean? Just in case, keep it clean! If there is binding, or rosette of a contrasting color, sand from the spruce toward and over the binding/rosette. That means, sand from the top out across the binding, not from edge in because that can drag colored dust from the binding into the spruce and make it difficult to keep the spruce clean.
    If you want to use a toner, it will be less new-white looking when it is done, but it will darken soon enough anyway, and toner won't enhance the grain of spruce (unless it is figured wood).

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post: