Thread: Upper fret access

Default Upper fret access

I recently bought my first mandolin, an Eastman 504 (A-style) and I love its tone and playability, but the access is to upper frets is very limited because of the bracing on the back of the neck. I've heard that this is a common issue with A-style mandolins. Is that true? If not, what A-styles have good upper fret access? Given that I like the Eastman - would an F-style Eastman have easier access or do they also have the same access issues as the their A-style? Any information appreciated!

Default Re: Upper fret access

Gwayne, if I remember correctly the Eastman 504 is an oval hole mandolin. The neck is typically joined to the body at the 12th fret so access to the high frets may be more difficult. "F" hole mandolins like the A5 and F5 body are typically joined at about the 14th fret so access to the higher frets is easier.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

I believe rockies is correct. Eastman's oval hole mandolins (a or f-style) have neck joins at the twelfth fret. Their f - hole (a or f-style) join at the 14th.
    Bill Snyder

Mine is an oval hole mandolin. So it is not the A or F style body but the Oval or F holes that is the issue - that is very helpful! Thanks!

Watch Violinists when they have to reach the higher notes.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I suspect something, I might be wrong. But I suspect that you are coming at the frets with your fingers parallel to the frets. With that I can see the higher frets would be hard to reach.

But if you come in at an angle, like a violinist, I don't think you will experience as much problem.

As explained so well in this old classic video.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

You are correct that I tend to play with the fingers parallel to the frets, and my teacher is working with me on correcting that. I do, however, believe that part of the issue with my reach is that her mandolin neck joins at the fourteenth and mine at the twelfth. Before I buy another mandolin I will keep working on shifting the angle of my hand, and I'll check out the fingering of the violinists. Thanks all!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GWayne View Post
    Before I buy another mandolin I will keep working on shifting the angle of my hand, and I'll check out the fingering of the violinists. Thanks all!
    Two things to try.

If you have a fiddler friend, invite him over for coffee. Have him watch you put the mandolin under your chin like a violin, see what your hand almost naturally does. If necessary, have him correct your left hand in that position to be violinistic. Now hold that hand position while returning the mandolin to its normal playing position.

Another thing, is to get your thumb up on the top, and opposite your index finger, as opposed to the center of the back of the neck opposite your middle finger. When doing that my fingers just seem naturally to fall into place.

And in that position I seem to be able to reach just about everything I need to reach.

From a whole mandolin perspective, I have a preference for shorter necks. I like the compact integrated feel of the instrument. A longer neck, connected to the body at the 14th fret, to me feels too much like a weight at the end of a stick, or a large spoonful of peanut butter. The shorter neck feels to me more like a central mass with this weightless extension.

I dunno, maybe its psychological. Many many mandolinners prefer the longer neck, for a whole lot of reasons.

And, to tell the truth, its not as strong preference, I have both and I play both, with enthusiasm.

The entire staff
    funny....

Yes, your problem is almost certainly due to hand position. Also, you are probably turning the top towards you so you can see where your fingers fall. Learn to use the dots that mark the 3rd, 5th, 7th gets etc that are on the side of the neck your guide.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    Also, you are probably turning the top towards you so you can see where your fingers fall. .
    I hadn't thought of that, but yea that is a possibility too.

Tricky little instrument.

The entire staff
    funny....