Thread: Help with Transcription/TAB - TablEdit

Default Help with Transcription/TAB - TablEdit

I got the bug to transcribe some guitar music to mandolin TAB, and purchased TablEdit. Frankly, TablEdit is driving me nuts. All the note stems run in the opposite direction on the standard notation portion from what I see elsewhere, and it keeps wanting to put extra rests in a measure when that measure is already full. It also adds stems with note timing to the TAB section and it doesn't look like I can disable that. I'm obviously totally new at this, so it may be my problem.

Nonetheless, is there a better way to create mandolin TAB from standard notation? I'm not averse to spending a few bucks on another program.

Don

Default Re: Help with Transcription/TAB - TablEdit

Just took a look back at some transcriptions I have done. I do see the stems added to the tab....not sure if that can be disabled, never bothered me. As to putting in extra rests when the measure is full, I have not experienced that, but if you are setting the time sig in advance of inputting the tune, you might try leaving that unspecified and letting the program sort it out. I would also recommend searching the web for a link to the TabLedit Forum. Pretty good support given there.

Scott

I assume you've thoroughly read the user manual?

The stems in the tablature are easily removed. Go to "file" - "Print Preview", then click the "Print Setup" button at the top. Go to the "Display" tab in the dialog box. There's a toggle checkbox for "Note Stems in Tablature". Uncheck it, and they'll be gone.

The direction of the note stems and the rest issue are easily solved too. I gotta run for the moment, but I'll get back to these later when I have time.

OK, the note stem direction issue:

Go to "File" - "Options", and click the "Preferences" tab in the dialog box. There's an "Upward Note Stem Default" setting that determines when the stems are turned up. You can set which note/octave is the turning point. This is covered on page 25 of the TablEdit manual. Or, you can manually change the stem orientation by selecting the notes in the staff and pressing the keyboard letter [A] to turn them upwards or [Z] to turn them downwards. If you press [E], it returns them to their automatic setting as defined by the preference/default.

On your issue with rests showing up in measures that are full, double-check to make sure you have your note durations correct and in the right place. There's a setting to turn off automatic rests if you go to "File" - "Options" - Display tab. Also, if you go to the Screen tab of the "Options" dialog box, there's a setting where you can turn duration errors to display as red, so you'll know when the note durations don't fit.

Thanks Tobin - appreciate the help. I did read the manual (most of it , and missed and/or couldn't find the answers after searching it. I've fixed the stems in the TAB and also the rest issue by turning off the automatic option. Still can't seem to globally fix the stem direction issue, which looks like it's not possible. Way too much work to switch all the stems manually, so I'll just live with it. Seems everyone else does.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DWM View Post
    Still can't seem to globally fix the stem direction issue, which looks like it's not possible. Way too much work to switch all the stems manually, so I'll just live with it.
    You don't have to do them individually. Just drag your mouse over all the notes in the staff, starting at the first measure, to highlight all the measures. Or, better yet, just click somewhere in the staff and then go up to "Edit" - "Select All". It highlights everything. After that, just press [A] or [Z] to change the stem direction. It takes, quite literally, 3 seconds to do.