Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best mandolin below $1000

Default best mandolin below $1000

I want to put a lot more emphasis on my mandolin playing, so I bought a subscription at artistworks and took my mandolin to a luthier. In which, my mandolin was pronounced unplayable. ?? I'm like really? All these years, I had no idea that what I thought was normal wasn't. My action is too high at the top of the neck. It cant be fixed on this inexpensive Epiphone/Gibson that my family got me for Christmas 15 years ago. Wow. I had always been frustrated with how hard it was to get a good sound out of her (hence I have not progressed far in my playing) because it took so much effort to press the strings down on the neck.

That said. My luthier recommends Kentucky for a good starter. Also Eastman. There are so many variously priced, but I cant tell why.

I like that both the Kentucky and Eastman are hand carved.

I have a love affair with the F-style.

What do you think is the best mandolin out there for under $1,000.

Thanks for your help,
    Mae

Default Re: best mandolin below $1000

This thread will generate more answers than there are members of the forum. Best advice I could give you is to find a store that has more than one brand, pick them up and play them. Buy the one that fits YOU, and what you want a mandolin to sound like. There is a reason so many styles and makers are out there. Everyone has a slightly different idea of what the "ideal" mandolin is. Finding the one that YOU like is more important than anything else, regardless of price or brand. (There are some people who are so hung up on brand name that they buy something that isn't right just because of the name).

Having said all that, I have a Kentucky A style that is enjoyable (for me). It's not my Flatiron (older Bozeman) but it fit my price range and playing style.

Keep looking, and enjoy the search.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oneeyeross For This Useful Post:

Setting a budget limit of $1000 then stating you want an F-style is like saying you want $700 worth of mandolin with a $300 scroll attached. The result? You won't get the best sound or playability for your money. The best value for money in the $1000 bracket is probably the KM900, which is an A5.

If you insist on an F-style, you'll be forced to look to used instruments to get anything close to the quality of the KM900. There are quite a few used Kentucky F5 mandolins in that price bracket, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeross View Post
    This thread will generate more answers than there are members of the forum. Best advice I could give you is to find a store that has more than one brand, pick them up and play them. Buy the one that fits YOU, and what you want a mandolin to sound like. There is a reason so many styles and makers are out there. Everyone has a slightly different idea of what the "ideal" mandolin is. Finding the one that YOU like is more important than anything else, regardless of price or brand. (There are some people who are so hung up on brand name that they buy something that isn't right just because of the name).

Having said all that, I have a Kentucky A style that is enjoyable (for me). It's not my Flatiron (older Bozeman) but it fit my price range and playing style.

Keep looking, and enjoy the search.
    Great advice. I would add, If at all possible, take a mandolin player with you, so you can hear it from a listeners prospective.
    http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/My_Stringies.JPG
    Mandolins- Early 1900's A, Kentucky KM-350, GuitarWorks-A style, Fender MandoStrat 8gone, Alvarez A-800(gone)
    Banjo - 1980 Alvarez Silver Bell (tweaked to peak)
    Guitars- 1976 Martin D-28,1992 Taylor 420, RainSong H DR 1000, Gretsch Anniversary Model. (I'm the original owner of all the Guitars listed)
    Bible - NASV

7. The following members say thank you to Finger Stylish for this post:

Probably a used mandolin that originally retailed for more than a $1000 would potentially offer the best value if you could get it now for under a $1000. New Kentucky and Eastman mandolins are certainly a good value and many people who own them will agree. The money charged for a new mandolin is usually based on if the wood is solid or plywood, and if the top and back are hand carved or steam pressed. It's all in the quality of the materials used and the amount of craftsmanship involved. Some of the best values in mandolins can be found in used instruments. While you love the F style an A style mandolin for under a $1000 may offer a better overall value because you are not paying for all the extra time and effort required to manufacturer an F style.

9. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

A used instrument might actually be the best deal if it has already been well set-up etc. Perhaps someone who has progressed in their playing and has purchased their "dream" instrument and is selling the good instrument they learned on. The classifeds here in the Cafe is a good place to look. Also, larger fully stocked shops that take trade-ins etc. The business that advertise here are always a good place to start. Mandolin Brothers, Elderly, Fiddlers Green, Mandolin Store, among others will give good advice and support your purchase. Just don't buy from big-box stores unless you really know what you are doing.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

11. The following members say thank you to Capt. E for this post:

I was sceptical about the value of a KM-900 based on the price, but I got one in a trade so I had less invested. The KM-900 is a special mandolin in a lot of ways. The fit and finish (on mine at least) is incredible, as is the inlay work. These mandolins come with a Mother of Pearl nut and I believe this helps create a darker tone overall. Mine is very loud (much louder than my Givens Ode) and has become my go to mandolin for every show I play, including shows with full bands. I am going to change out the tuners and put larger frets on it, but I feel like it plays, and sounds much more expensive than it is. Hope this helps
    TKD Falcon F5

13. The following members say thank you to atbuckner21 for this post:

IMO, the best $1000 mandolin would be a good used mandolin that cost ~$1500 new.
    There are MANY good choices possible. Making a good choice will likely take some time and patience though.
    My advice also would be to get an A5 style. There is no difference in quality between comparable A- and F-style instruments, only price. By "comparable", I mean instruments made with the same specs and attention, for eg, an Eastman 505 (A-style) vs. an Eastman 515 (F-style). F-styles of comparable specs and quality cost about 50% more.

You could consider, among other things, a used high-end Eastman or Kentucky A-style, or a Flatiron. And really, it is possible to get a very good instrument for under $1000 if the right used model presents itself.

In the meantime, it is a little puzzling that your current Epiphone cannot be put into playable (if not great-soundable) shape, at least to tide you over while you look and plan for a replacement. Adjusting the nut (ie, filing the nut slots to the proper depth) and bridge height (which on a cheap mando often means filing some material off the bridge saddles), and truss rod should make a big difference. Not that your guy is wrong to suggest a better instrument, but unless yours has a warped neck that cannot be straightened with the truss rod, it should be pretty easily improved with a bit of basic work.
    Last edited by acousticphd; Apr-20-2015 at 11:38am. Reason: typo
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

15. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post:

I'll be the first to recommend J. Bovier. I think an new F will run you around $950. You'll see them in the classifieds from time to time -could probably find a used F for under $800. Great mandolin for the money, mine beat out all the Kentucky's, Eastman's, and Loar's I played.

http://www.mandolins.ecrater.com/

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dnallred For This Useful Post:

If you do a search you will find LOTS of information on this subject. The brands that most often come up will be Kentucky, Eastman J Bovier and Loar. I have experience with a Eastman and Kentucky and would recommend both. Also as has been pointed out you will get a lot more for you money if you are open to an A style. Just a suggestion but to get you playing you might consider a Kentucky 150 there is a used one here and it is hard to believe that they can sell and instrument like this for the price (new ones). It would get you playing a nice instrument and then you could take your time to find one with a scroll
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/85856
    Kentucky 900/950's are great the 900 will have a flat fretboard and traditional frets, the 950 radius fretboard and larger frets. The 900/1000 Kentucky's are made a separate factory better workmanship and woods. They are very good (I own a 1050). One thing to note is Kentucky mandolins (as a rule) have a larger neck profile then the Eastman's I have tried. If you have smaller hands you might consider that.
    This might be a great deal, depending on the final price
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kentucky-KM-...item463865798d

You can get an Eastman 315 or 515 in your price range from a café sponsor that would be setup well - The Mandolin Store has these
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/85420

One last suggestion is for a US hand made instrument you might consider a Howard (Sonny) Morris. Made in Oregon. You can buy a new A style for you budget and may be able to find an used F style in your price range (he also has made a few 2 point mandolins). There are a couple of used ones in the classifieds right now.

Good luck there are lots of great choices.

19. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

maybe you need a second opinion. surely a good setup would help. I can't believe anyone would say your mandolin is "unplayable".
    Last edited by Jackgaryk; Apr-20-2015 at 12:05pm. Reason: spelling

21. The following members say thank you to Jackgaryk for this post:

The advice of "try them" is always stated here and is of course the way to go. However, the reality for many folks is that there are vast areas in the USA where there are few decent mandolins in abundance in stores for comparison. (Guitars and ukes, that's a different story). But if it means up to a 4 hour drive to get to such a place, definitely worth the road trip. If not in your plans then the KM-900 as mentioned above, or the KM-950 are excellent proven choices for new instruments, (if you prefer to not get into used stuff). These are are usually available from the reputable sellers often mentioned here. Also agree with the scroll opinion above - if you want very nice sound and quality, AND a scroll for less than $1000, it is not likely, but down the road, if you really want that scroll and a painful lower point to jab into your thigh, consider it when funds allow.

23. The following members say thank you to renoyd for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

If $1000 is a hard budget and an F-style is preferred, you could be on the lookout for a used Kentucky KM1000 that will occasionally surface in that range.

If you prefer to buy an American instrument and aren't a slave to traditional styling, you might inquire about this Breedlove Ff: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/85664

Otherwise, it would be hard to beat the deal that Mass Street is offering on a used Eastman MD315: http://massstreetmusic.com/collectio...15-fstyle-used
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The best you can buy for under $1000 may not be an F style, but you know that.

What kind of music are you going after? Is an arch top a requirement?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

27. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The best you can buy for under $1000 may not be an F style, but you know that.
    This is always the thing. I'd want to get the best-sounding, best-quality instrument for my money, whatever the budget.

$1000 is not pocket change, but for many, that price-point is a stepping stone to a better instrument down the road.

What I'd do is try to demo A and F equivalents, and see if the scroll is worth the extra money. (Kentucky's KM-950 & KM-1050, for example.)

I know this isn't the consensus out there, but I don't think I'd even look at a scroll until the budget was > $3000. (And even then, I'd still probably have a hard time justifying it!)

29. The following members say thank you to terzinator for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

well to start off the guy you took your mandolin to is wrong, you have been playing it for years which means it is playable. Take it to someone else to get setup, if you can't do it yourself, what did he say was making it unplayable, i would love to hear what he said.

there are lots of good mandos out there if you want a F style, i would suggest used cause for $1000 you can get a much better one if you can get you present mandolin more playable save some more money and you can get a much better mandolin
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

31. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Eastman 305; rest of money in mandolin-shaped piggy bank to save toward a Collings MT.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SincereCorgi For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

The Mandolin Store also has a good buy on a blemished Eastman MD515: http://themandolinstore.com/product-...d-instruments/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

35. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

The blemished Eastman at The Mandolin Store is a good suggestion and a good buy. For $700, you can get yourself an Eastman 315. A very good sounding and playing F-style that many here think sounds even better than the 515. I agree with those above that have suggested getting your Epiphone to a good set up guy to have him take a look at it. Investing $50-$75 to get it in good playable condition would be worth it. Then, you can decide whether or not to continue your search for a new instrument. The Epiphone will always make a good back up. Good luck and welcome to the Cafe'.

37. The following members say thank you to Mike Arakelian for this post:

Scrollofilia and only 1K will put you , as you say those imports looking like Gibsons.

May not be super fancy but either are Ok in your A/B choice , But Best will take actually Holding and auditioning
    in person to see if the sound and feel; is what you want.

Heard Buying through the above shop , they will come set up OK.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

39. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

j Bovier F5T... Great F5 mandolin for under $1000. JB owners love their mandolins. Awesome sound, plays great, and looks great.

41. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

If you or someone near you is a little handy you may want to contact Rob Meldrum.
    He is kind enough too give Cafe' members a copy of his setup e-book at no charge.
    [rob.meldrum@gmail.com] Even if you decide not to do the setup yourself you will
    have the knowledge of what needs to be done.
    I'm with Mike. If you need an F style the Eastman 315's are the best bang for the buck.
    If you need a shiny finish the blemished 515's are a great buy. And, buying from The
    Mandolin Store you know it will come setup properly.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

43. The following members say thank you to GKWilson for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blue-eyed-mary View Post
    I want to put a lot more emphasis on my mandolin playing, so I bought a subscription at artistworks and took my mandolin to a luthier. In which, my mandolin was pronounced unplayable. ?? I'm like really? All these years, I had no idea that what I thought was normal wasn't. My action is too high at the top of the neck. It cant be fixed on this inexpensive Epiphone/Gibson that my family got me for Christmas 15 years ago. Wow. I had always been frustrated with how hard it was to get a good sound out of her (hence I have not progressed far in my playing) because it took so much effort to press the strings down on the neck.

That said. My luthier recommends Kentucky for a good starter. Also Eastman. There are so many variously priced, but I cant tell why.

I like that both the Kentucky and Eastman are hand carved.

I have a love affair with the F-style.

What do you think is the best mandolin out there for under $1,000.

Thanks for your help,
    Mae

No discussion aproved before you will have read this: http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pub...s_001443.shtml

And I might ad a !!

A must read.
    Olaf

45. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jackgaryk View Post
    maybe you need a second opinion. surely a good setup would help. I can't believe anyone would say your mandolin is "unplayable".
    Yes I was going to say that as well. Unless it is a case of the neck being bowed and not having a truss? But then I don't know of any Gibson/Epiphone of the last 50 years that does not have a truss?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

47. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Hi blue-eyed-mary and welcome to the forum.

I looks like to me there is a lot of good advice here. I cannot help much as I am a beginner also. I have an inexpensive mandolin that I used Rob Meldrum's setup instructions on and it really helped. Other than a little bit of an occasional annoying buzz in one of the G strings, my mandolin sounds great (at least to me). My thinking when I undertook the DIY setup was that if I ruined my mandolin, I wouldn't be losing much. I thought a few times I was ruining it, but the final result turned out pretty good. You don't have much to lose if you want to try what I did.

49. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post: