Thread: any place to jam in San Jose, CA

Default any place to jam in San Jose, CA

I like to jam wit guitar, mandolin players in SJ, CA area.

Default Re: any place to jam in San Jose, CA

Like, bluegrass or what?

The most dependable public jam is Santa Clara Valley Fiddlers at Hoover Middle School by the Willow Glen Rose Garden, first Sunday of the month (at the actual Rose Garden in the summer months). The big downside to that one is the demographic skews pretty old, so it can feel awkward if you're under sixty.

There's usually jamming before the RBA Bluegrass shows, which are usually in Mountain View or Palo Alto, and that's a good place to meet people in the hopes of getting invited to private jams. The crowd is slightly younger.

I only play a little blue grass, because of its beat. Mostly soft music. I guess I need to form my own group then, already got one guitarist to participate.
    I have tried to jam with a group of about 12 people with various acoustic instruments in Hayward area, once a month, but that's too far from my home.
    So far, I only jam with myself: record background music for the songs I like to play, then play along with this music. I also use karaoke music as background music sometimes.

Gryphon in Palo Alto is a great resource (and if they have a jam group, worth the drive, which I think is like 30 mins).