Thread: The Warning - amazing song by young girl

Default The Warning - amazing song by young girl

The Warning are a rock band from Mexico who have recently gone viral with their cover of Enter Sandman. The band comprises three sisters who I believe are aged fifteen, thirteen, and ten,

I am particulary impressed with Pau (the drummer in the band) who recently turned thirteen. Here she performs a song of her own composition. I could not have written the lyrics of this song when I was thirteen, never mind compose the melody - and of course English is not her first language.

If I've got it right, the song is in the key of F minor, and begins on F below C4 - below the range of a mandolin.

As an aside, I have this evening missed the opportunity to see an American band called Larkin Poe in concert. I know little about them, but one of them sometimes plays mandoling apparently. They were supported by the folk band I mentioned in a previous thread.
    In the second movement, not too heavy on the banjos. Eric Morecambe

Default Re: The Warning - amazing song by young girl

Larkin Poe is amazing, and has a good mando player, Rebecca. formerly the lovell sisters and formely very country/ bg.

They have several albums out most released in the UK.
    4 , one named for each season,
    thick as thieves,
    and one with some Swedish fellow, (which DVD doesnt play this side of the pond)

and the latest release.
    Very clever musicans, imho. great vocals, distinctive harmonies, great edgy guitar work.
    easy on the eyes too....
    http://www.larkinpoe.com/check out the videos.......

After a lot of hard listening, here is my assessment of what Pau sings:

I can’t break down the boundaries: F C D# F D# F G G#
    Can’t put the past behind me: F G G G# G G# G
    I just can’t believe that you can: C C C# C D# C C# D#
    Break the cage, destroy the chains, escape the mind: C C# C C C# C C# C D# C# D# C D# C# D#

Here in this place love is a maze: F C# C D# C C# D#
    So it’s better to just be alone: C C C# C# C C C# C C#
    Here in this place nobody shows their face: C C D# D# F D# F F D# F
    Fear has reigned control over us: C C C# C# D# C# C
    I I we live in a cage but: C C C C C# D# C
    I I I am going to escape today: C C C C C# D# C#
    I’m breaking down the boundaries: C C# C C# C C# C D#
    Putting the past behind me: C D# C# D# C# D# C#
    I’m stepping over the debris: C C# C C# C C# C D#
    I finally can breathe: C C# C C# C D#
    I can see I am free: C C# D# C# C D#
    I’ve escaped the mind: C C# D# C# D# C

Here in this place: C C# C D#
    Everything is fake: D# C# C D#
    Nothing will ever change: C# C# C C# C D#
    Here in this place: C C# C D#
    We’re just pawns in a game: C# C C#C C#
    All we’ll ever do is play: C C# C# C C# C C
    I I I won’t stay here: C C C C C#
    I I am going to overcome my fears: C C C C C# C# C C D#

I just can’t believe that you can: C C C# C D# C C# D#
    Break the cage, destroy the chains, escape: F D# F D# F D# F C# D#
    I’m stepping over the debris: C C# C C# C C# C D#
    I finally can breathe: C C# C C# C D#
    I can see I am free: C C# D# C# C D#
    I’ve escaped the mind: C C# D# C# D# C

The instrumental sections could be filled in by strumming some F and C chords and maybe also some A chords. Then again that does present rather a problem for the mandolin player, who does not have F below C4. I suppose the simple solution would be to move the tune two semitones higher into the key of G.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Yes, I saw "Enter Sandman" by The Warning, via a facebook friend. I looked through their website to see what I could learn about these three sisters. They seem reasonably talented for their ages (I think the oldest, the guitarist, is 14. I bookmarked their page so I could go back and help them out by proofreading their text ( a bit rough in places), which I will get to, after the current uproar in my own band subsides.

As much as they are somewhat interesting in their own right, and I wouldn't mind seeing them have a successful career, I don't see much relevance to the mandolin. But carry on.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Whatever floats your boat. She is such a poor singer, I found the tune difficult to listen to and if the lyrics were not printed above, I would not have gotten half of it. She is not much better as a keyboard player. She bangs on the thing like it is one of her drums. As for the lyrics, I think she may have potential as a songwriter, but this tune is just another bit of whiny, pre-teen angst like a lot of stuff out there now. I also watched the Sandman video. Sounds like any pre-teen garage band to me. It's amazing what "goes viral" nowadays.

And I agree: No mando content!

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    She is such a poor singer, I found the tune difficult to listen to and if the lyrics were not printed above, I would not have gotten half of it.
    And I'm sure you could sing brilliantly in a foreign language when you had just turned thirteen.

The Warning recently signed a record deal, and also went down a storm on The Ellen Show.

As for no mando content, you are both absolutely right. Strumming an F chord followed by a C chord on a mandolin is such hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post

And I'm sure you could sing brilliantly in a foreign language when you had just turned thirteen.

And have been playing the drums like this since you were ten...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUAhV8K-v3A

For the busy ones, just ff to the 3min mark. And her hand gesture at the end is priceless.
    -Brian

Just an acoustic guitar player that wanted to learn tunes upside down...so I bought a mandolin. Kentucky KM270 to go with a '78 Alvarez Yairi DY57S, a '76 DY57 tuned CGCFGC, and a Gretsch Jim Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    Whatever floats your boat. She is such a poor singer, I found the tune difficult to listen to and if the lyrics were not printed above, I would not have gotten half of it. She is not much better as a keyboard player. She bangs on the thing like it is one of her drums. As for the lyrics, I think she may have potential as a songwriter, but this tune is just another bit of whiny, pre-teen angst like a lot of stuff out there now. I also watched the Sandman video. Sounds like any pre-teen garage band to me. It's amazing what "goes viral" nowadays.
    You forgot to add, "You kids stay offa my lawn!"

I do look forward to the amazing home movies and recordings of your music and writing at that age which you have to share. You've set up quite an expectation of excellence!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

9. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post: