Thread: Mando strap around scroll - The Loar

Default Mando strap around scroll - The Loar

I've got a "The Loar" LM-600-VS and just got a Henry Heller strap with the intention of putting it through the scroll. Doesn't fit. The strap doesn't look that thick and the space around the scroll doesn't look that thin, but looks are deceiving, I guess. I got the Heller strap because it's a simple flat strap which I prefer over the cloth or woven leather type. Any one else have a similar problem and maybe a solution? (or a recommendation for a thinner strap?)

Default Re: Mando strap around scroll - The Loar

I have a Neo Tech strap around the scroll of my Eastman .
    Very secure . Very thin. Very light . And very comftorable .

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I use one of these: http://jazzmando.com/new/archives/002144.shtml

It's thin, comfortable and pretty cheap.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

The finish inside scrolls can be notoriously rough; it's quite possible that only a bubble of dried varnish is stopping your strap sliding through, and that by simply removing 1 or 2 mm of obstruction in an inner part of the scroll that is all-but invisible will solve your problem.

There are a few different Heller strap styles - which one is yours ?. http://www.henryhellermusic.com/mandolin-straps.html
    'Whichever' - as a short term solution,you could try fitting a bootlace loop to the loop end & pass that through the scroll. Or,preferably return the strap for a re-fund & buy a ''Lakota leather'' strap for it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I have an lm 700 and use a lakota leather strap. Fits fine.

7. The following members say thank you to noah finn for this post:

Kowboy 

The Heller strap line looks quality, how soft is the one you have? I would consider a trade for one of the many straps I have, if you're interested.

I have the Heller Suede Mando Strap HMANS-CHC. The strap has a suede top with a finished leather piece sewn to the bottom. I tried using the bootlace, but didn't like the feel - the mando felt loose to me, so I removed a small section of the finished bottom leather leaving only the suede to wrap around the scroll and it fit fine. The suede around the scroll will likely not hold up well over time - it's pretty thin - so I'm considering other options - maybe the Lakota. Thanks to all for your suggestions!

I have an LM700 and am using one of the Lakota flat unbraided straps. The scroll is too tight to simply slide the loop around, but I found that if I undo the loop in the strap, thread the narrow end through the scroll, and then put the narrow end back through the hole in the strap, it works fine. There is a little resistance threading the loop through the scroll, but once you have it through just work it back and forth a little bit and it will become easier.
    Lennie Lowery
    Kentucky KM-1500
    The Loar LM-700
    J Bovier A5 Special
    MK Dragonfly Flame Custom

11. The following members say thank you to nordian for this post:

Kowboy 

Just use a Loop of Boot lace to fit in the tight spot through the scroll .

Or maybe visit a Shoe repair shop.
    they can sew on a thinner piece of leather as a Loop that can fit and be aesthetically Pleasing To You..

Or perhaps you can share the issues with the Maker send yours back and have him produce one that will fit to your satisfaction .
    Last edited by mandroid; Apr-11-2015 at 1:27pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The Heller straps look really nice,but one thing that i noticed in common with most strap makers,the thickness of the leather isn't stated,& the length of the strap isn't given either. I bought a strap 'on line' for my very first mandolin. When i got it,it was only long enought to fit over my right shoulder,when i wanted one that went around my back. I cobbled another piece of leather to it,but eventually bought one of the correct length. To me that's a bit like string makers offering strings with no gauges stated,when it's pretty obvious from the OP's point & my own point,that these 2 factors are important,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

14. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noah finn View Post
    I have an lm 700 and use a lakota leather strap. Fits fine.
    Me too. I have leather strap w a leather loop on end - it's a little tight but it pulls through easily. Once it's in there it's just fine, adequate movement, etc.
    Agree w above comment about finish can be rough in scroll area - it's not visible. I am thinking pull it through, unless it's grossly tight. Crowbar?

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

16. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

Kowboy 

So true, Ivan. I am extremely particular about strap length. At a minimum, strap makers should state end-to-end length, better yet would be a precise measurement of where the first button hole is, the number of holes and the space between them. Some wear their mandolins high, some low. I wear mine in the middle. It needs to be perfect, or I simply can't make them gorgeous notes

18. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Absolutely Alan !. Also it might be handy to know the 'length' of the scroll loop when compressed,so that a prospective buyer could check if it was big enough for their mandolin,as not all scrolls are exactly the same size. What's an 'easy fit' on my Weber,is a tight fit on my Lebeda. ''One size fits all'' - nope !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The fit really matters for me also. My leather loop is just temporary. I have looked at online ads for straps, and they all lack useful accurate info re adjustability, etc.
    (more)
    The other problem w my Loar700 is that the scroll is never going to work, because the mando is neck heavy, and droops down towards the floor - requiring my arm/hand to support that weight - which makes it like I have no strap, causing left arm tension - and that's a serious problem - repetitive strain, lactic acid accumulation, etc. Painful.

Experimenting with attaching to neck heel.
    Today I did a test by using leather loop - around the entire neck+strings at 10th fret - (not for playing, for experimenting) - and then hold it against the down side of the neck heel, where a strap would attach. With the strap around my neck, and hooked at tailpiece end button, the mando balances perfectly. Looking down at it, the loop of leather lace, brushes close to the top of the scroll. I let go, and moved around - it stays in place - and is level.

I haven't yet installed a button on the neck heel. Still thinking and testing - but I think this will be my solution. The scroll attachment point is just wrong on the 700. due to drooping downwards. (likely others also).

Be sure to remove the leather loop before playing - doh! just an experiment. There's a chance that the strap coming close to the scroll might interfere - not sure of that - but the balance is perfect.

I hope this makes sense - lots of people have complained about the neck sagging towards floor.

Beyond this - it's the same problem - getting an adjustable strap - so I can set length or change it repeatedly until I have exact fit. I have a good leather one on my guitar. And I think the best solution is to go to a leather worker, or maybe a shoe repair to get what I really need.

= Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

And it would be good to know the thickness of the loop end, to be sure it will fit in between the scroll. When I sold roo straps, a Marc Bluett owner could only use those, as that scroll was tight.

From MysTik above - ".......because the mando is neck heavy, and droops down towards the floor - requiring my arm/hand to support that weight ". That's the same for all of us. However, in order to play the mandolin,you have to support the weight of the neck in your left (or right) hand to begin with. Also,when not actually playing my mandolin,i simply rest my right hand on the side to prevent it going 'neck down' = no strain on my left hand.The only way of preventing your mandolin from going 'neck down',is to attach one end of the strap to the headstock & the other end of course to the strap button at the tailpiece end. Dean Webb,formerly with The Dillards always had his strap like this,but just having it over one shoulder,it looks so uncomfortable & i fail to see any reason for using a strap in that manner. I can imagine that if he let go of it with his left hand,it would nose dive anyway (IMHO),or simply crash to the floor,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dean Webb.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	132905
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Apr-14-2015 at 5:18am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks Ivan. The nosedive is what I am talking about - and it does cause me actual pain. I don't notice the pain until I stop playing, which is weird. Bit it is much like an RSI - repetitive strain injury.
    I tried to describe my experiment above - and I got a balanced result - hands free. It's hard to describe; but the end result is attach to tp-button, around my back, over left shoulder, down to the treble side (lower side) of the NECK HEEL - a small button must be drilled, installed carefully. The whole thing is common guitar style.
    My descrip above is 6" loop over the actual 10fret+strings because THAT MIMICS the neck heel installation - i.e. the installed button is roughly beneath the 10-12th fret area. Hands free = no nosedive. Anyone could test this with any shoelace, string, etc.
    EDIT = the supporting 'loop' is FARTHER TO THE LEFT than the scroll itself - by a distance of 1-2" - that's why it balances, in any preferred position (angle).

The repetitive strain of holding the mando in place, also interferes with chord changes such as C or D changing to an A-chord. That particular change requires the actual change movement AND also supporting the mando differently to attack the A configuration - and then return to C or D same kinda thing - the arm is involved doing 2 separate things.

Hard to describe this - hope it makes some sense. Pix might help also.

apology for topic hi-jack.

From Mystik - "....around my back,....". That'll get the job done = more strap friction against your clothing to begin with.
    It looks as if you've found a satisfactory solution - well done !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    The finish inside scrolls can be notoriously rough; it's quite possible that only a bubble of dried varnish is stopping your strap sliding through, and that by simply removing 1 or 2 mm of obstruction in an inner part of the scroll that is all-but invisible will solve your problem.
    I had to do this with mine. It was like porcupine quills in there
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

26. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I had a mando once (won't mention brand) that had some obstruction in the scroll space. Turned out to be a dried up beetle wedged in there!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Hope you picked Reischman's Big Bug!

Had the same problem with a lm500. I shaved the strap on the back with a cheap razor until it was thin enough to go through.
    Last edited by johes; Apr-24-2015 at 8:03am.
    Eastman 315
    Eastman 505
    Breedlove Premier FF