Thread: Relatively inexpensive Electric Mandolin

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Default Relatively inexpensive Electric Mandolin

I would like to get my son a relatively inexpensive electric or acoustic electric mandolin. He is very much a beginner. He is 10 and just played his first concert with the school's "String Band" on my old Fender mandolin. He did well and wants to try electric mandolin.
    I want to spend less than $300 (yeah, I know, you get what you pay for), and I want something that will stay in tune and be relatively playable. I can have a great set up done on whatever we get (I know a couple of mandolin luthiers).
    So... any thoughts? Ibanez? Fender? Etc?
    Please, Any help will be appreciated!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Re: Relatively inexpensive Electric Mandolin

fender mandostrat or epiphone mandobird all can be bought under $300
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

3. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Fender is your best option. They're pretty good, and will grow with him.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

5. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

You might find the Epiphone mandobird on Ebay or second hand somewhere - that also works well.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

7. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

My first mandolin was and still is , an Oscar Schmidt acoustic electric.
    Stays in tune , overall pretty quite when unplugged .
    No built in preamp .
    It works great for learning and practicing .
    Around a $150.00

9. The following members say thank you to Billbass1 for this post:

An 8-string Harley Benton mandocaster from Thomann in Germany can be had for $150 including shipping to the States, and in my opinion will have much more 'cred' for a young guy in school than the Fender. It comes in this sunburst or in black, which I have.

It's about as cheap a gamble as you can take, and if he likes it, he can always upgrade the pick-ups, bridge etc through products from Almuse in the UK or Moongazer in the USA.

11. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    An 8-string Harley Benton mandocaster from Thomann in Germany can be had for $150 including shipping to the States, and in my opinion will have much more 'cred' for a young guy in school than the Fender. It comes in this sunburst or in black, which I have.
    These are marketed under a variety of brand names; Harley Benton in Germany, Morgan Monroe here in the USA. I bought a MM thru the Café classifieds several months ago for $225. It needed a good setup and new strings but once I did that, it's a surprisingly good sounding and nice playing electric. And it's lots of fun through a Line 6 M9 pedal into a Fender tube amp. I'm also getting into playing it with a glass slide, ooolala!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

13. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Yep, they represent great value for money, especially if you can get one all the way from Germany for $150. Almost identical instruments (probably from the same factory in China) are branded Eastwood, Alden, Revelation, Clearwater - and other brands. Pete Mallinson at Almuse (who fitted new pick-ups, scratchplate and electrics to my Harley Benton) told me that Eastwood and Revelation are often slightly better appointed. He also told me that the neck often needs re-set, but that this is a dead simple case of unbolting it and putting some card or sheet plastic at the correct end of the four-way bolt slot to alter the neck angle and lower the action. A friend of mine recently did this job himself, and it was so simple that he managed to do it without even taking off the strings.

Mine has had a lot done to it. New pick-up, wiring, scratchplate, tuners and bridge. And even after all that, it's still great value.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7013494 web.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	132805

15. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    Mine has had a lot done to it. New pick-up, wiring, scratchplate, tuners and bridge. And even after all that, it's still great value.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7013494 web.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	132805
    ...and a damn fine looking electric you have there Ron. I'll be getting some upgrades done to mine when I'm a bit more flush, starting with shielding the pickup cavity.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

17. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    I'll be getting some upgrades done to mine when I'm a bit more flush, starting with shielding the pickup cavity.
    Yes, that's one mod I forgot, and recommend highly. Mine developed a very irritating hum, so I took it to a local luthier here in Thailand where I live. He prescribed the need for shielding and some better earthing wires, which he did for me, and completely solved the problem. I shouldn't spoil your day for you, but I will anyway: that cost me 200 Thai Baht, or a little over $6

19. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Just a thought, you might look into a Godin A8 electric acoustic. You can usually pick one up used for near 400 on the classifieds here. They are pretty sweet mandolins. It will likely already have a good set up and you wont have to invest in anything else. In the long run it may be more economical etc. They look pretty awesome too.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

21. The following members say thank you to Isaac Revard for this post:

Didn't spoil my day Ron but that's a great bargain I could not duplicate here in the US. Most likely I'll do the job myself. It's an easy upgrade with some copper foil, a bit of grounding wire and some solder. I may charge myself more than $6 though...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I have one of the Eastwood version of that Telecaster clone and really love it. I got it used from someone here on the forum. He'd already had it set up well. All I've done to it is add flatwound strings. It's a solid, very nicely made instrument.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

25. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I have one of the Eastwood version of that Telecaster clone and really love it. I got it used from someone here on the forum. He'd already had it set up well. All I've done to it is add flatwound strings. It's a solid, very nicely made instrument.
    Agreed on the flatwounds. I have plain steel strings on the E and A courses, and D'Addario Chromes bought singly here for the D and G courses.

27. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Lots of good suggestions here.
    I might add a mention of the Mandobird (Again)--they are no longer made, but if you find one used--they're good deal--should be under $200.
    The only drawback is I haven't been abel to find a decent case or gig bag--everything is too small or too big, too narrow or too wide.
    The former owner either didn't have a case/gigbag--or they didn't trade it in.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

29. The following members say thank you to zedmando for this post:

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Unfortunately double the money:
    http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Acous.../dp/B003LAQFMS
    "Quad" NanoMAG pickup = much like an electric guitar pickup. - adjustable.
    F-style
    Local music store can't keep them in stock - I think they are new this year from Epi. Top is solid spruce - not sure if the maple is solid or laminate.

31. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I just noticed that we all forgot to ask the OP what type of music his son would be playing on this mando. If it's more traditional string music, the solid body Eastwood and similar might not be the best choice. He'd want an acoustic electric.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

33. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Adirondack guitars has a special on the Washburn M3EK acoustic electric,including starter package $299. free set up and shipping.Dennis is a great guy to deal with(NFI).I played one at a local music store.Would have bought it if it had been left handed out performed the higher priced mandolins IMO. Good luck with watever u choose.

35. The following members say thank you to choctaw61 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by zedmando View Post
    I might add a mention of the Mandobird (Again.
    The design of the Mandobird is an acquired taste imho. The Telecaster on the other hand.......

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

37. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I just noticed that we all forgot to ask the OP what type of music his son would be playing.
    At 10 years old, the boy is a shredder!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Ben, please be in touch off-line if you're interested in pursuing a conversation about helping "Bessie" find a new home.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

40. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Ben, please be in touch off-line if you're interested in pursuing a conversation about helping "Bessie" find a new home.
    Sorry Dave, I'm not trying subvert a possible deal between you. But then it begs the question "4 string vs. 8 string" electrics? They are truly different animals. I owned a Jonathan Mann SEM-5 electric (5 not 4 string) that while totally beautiful and extremely high quality (at over $2200 new), I never really bonded with it; too much of a 1/2 size electric guitar rather than a mandolin for my tastes. I replaced it with the Morgan Monroe 8 string Tele-type for $225 and sold the Mann for many times more than that. I wouldn't mind trying a Mann 8 string however. The OP's son can always remove 4 of the strings from an 8 string but adding 4 more strings to a 4 string, not so easy....

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

42. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Wow, All great advice! I am thinking my son will want the 8 strings since that is what he is used to playing right now. At the moment he is just playing chords. He wants to try out for the school "rock band" next year but I know that he will still be playing mostly chords even if he makes it in (his school goes from K-8 and people from 5th up can try out for the "rock band"). He is going to have to practice and he knows it. The fact that he wants to try out for "rock band" on mandolin is just great to me! (He even asked if he might get an electric mandolin so he can play it in "rock band" and not have to switch to electric guitar.) This is a purchase that will take some time so I am not sure I can confidently respond right now to anyone who is generously offering theirs for sale. (I will respond to each of your messages as soon as I can!) Finances are tight and both he and I will be saving up for this purchase. Who knows, maybe by early in the fall we may be able to make a purchase. Personally "I" like the tele style solid body 8 strings and I think he will too. We have 3 regular acoustic mandolins in the house if he wants to play one of those still as well (the Rogue, The Fender and my Girouard).
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

At 10 years old, the boy is a shredder!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    He certainly wants to be! Right now its just chords though. He needs to build his confidence!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

The design of the Mandobird is an acquired taste imho. The Telecaster on the other hand.......

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    I'm actually not a fan of the Tele or Firebird guitars--I'm okay with others using them, they just aren't my thing-visually or playing wise.
    but I like them both for mandolins--and I prefer the Mandobird--but if you're more into the Tele--that's cool.
    I do believe there are absolute truths--but the best looking shape for a mandolin or guitar is not one of them.

there's room for all of us that way.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?