Thread: Okeechobee Wind Tab

Default Okeechobee Wind Tab

I have been trying to work on Okeechobee Wind by Jesse McReynolds, using tab found here: http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...for=Okeechobee

But when I listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFJty_ELTuM I hear quite some differences.

Does anyone know where more/other tab can be found for Okeechobee Wind that might more closely follow?

Thanks in advance.
    Robert

-2011 Stiver F 322-3-11 (Photos)
    -1990 Kentucky KM-160

Default Re: Okeechobee Wind Tab

Not trying to be smart but if you can hear the difference and what needs to be done, then just do it, rely on your ears which seem to be very good instead of the tab. Tab got you started now go with it.

For sure - point taken.

The tremolo in the beginning is simple enough to pick up - but I guess I was hoping to see if there was an official or more exact version of the tab for the song that i could learn from.

It seems like the ability to slow down a youtube video is my best friend in figuring out mandolin by ear.

If anyone knows where another version of the tab exists Id love to give it a look, though.
    Robert

-2011 Stiver F 322-3-11 (Photos)
    -1990 Kentucky KM-160

Hi Robert, those tabs you found on mandozine are waaaay off the mark, no wonder they didn't quite sound right. Just like Abe Lincoln said, don't trust everything you read on the internet. Definitely no shame in not being able to get this one from audio/video, even seasoned transcribers can get things wrong when dealing with McReynolds. The style is so unorthodox and counter-intuitive, really easy to mess up if you're not already familiar Jesse's tendencies.

"The tremolo in the beginning is simple enough to pick up".... Ha! For me, that is the hardest part (both in transcribing and playing). May sound simple, but Jesse is using his "split-string" technique where he gets two pitches out of one course. In my opinion, it's one of the hardest techniques on the mandolin.

Here's what I'm hearing on the recording:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Okeechobee Wind - McReynolds.pdf 
Views:	295 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	132503

Hope that helps, all the best.
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

5. The following members say thank you to Jordan Ramsey for this post:

Ha! That split string stuff is impossible. It was hard enough to figure out crosspicking when I was a kid, because there were no videos and you really had to see him in person. But when I realized that he was splitting strings and making it musical it blew my mind.

7. The following members say thank you to RichieK for this post: