Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What an incredible day! Unknown Loar Mandola found

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: What an incredible day! Unknown Loar Mandola found

Quote Originally Posted by testore View Post
    I rather look at it as an art student making a study of a masterpiece.
    I was not intending to belittle the work of forgers. On the contrary.

There comes a time when the study becomes as good as or even better than the masterpiece. That's when the question comes up which one is the real masterpiece. After all, the "original" artist was not facing any challenge, just idly setting a bar; but the "student" who can jump all the bars he finds - isn't he the real master? And isn't the artist just a forger with a time machine?

Citing Mr D. Adams describing the making-of of the Hitchhikers Guide:
    The simplistic style is partly explained by the fact that its editors, having to meet a publishing deadline, copied the information off the back of a packet of breakfast cereal, hastily embroidering it with a few foot notes in order to avoid prosecution under the incomprehensibly torturous Galactic Copyright Laws. It's interesting to note that a later and wilier editor sent the book backwards in time, through a temporal warp, and then successfully sued the breakfast cereal company for infringement of the same laws.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Forgery becomes an issue when an item is sold and then resold. Sometimes the story gets changed. Years ago, nobody but the factory could do a "factory quality refinish". Now many luthiers have that skill. With custom color guitars, for example, the difference in price between a sunburst and a custom color can be 20-30K. Some guitars that were merely refinished 30 years ago, now, with age, have been pronouced as having the original finish (by those in the know) and sell for the higher price. Something to think about.

Bertram, I took no offense. I was only stating my point of view on this part of the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by testore View Post
    I bought the case over a year ago. Then coincidentally another thread had a discussion about mandola pick guards. Daryl Wolfe said he had one and I bought it. I had no choice but to build it.
    I've built instruments because I ran into a good decal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Forgery becomes an issue when an item is sold and then resold. Sometimes the story gets changed. Years ago, nobody but the factory could do a "factory quality refinish". Now many luthiers have that skill. With custom color guitars, for example, the difference in price between a sunburst and a custom color can be 20-30K. Some guitars that were merely refinished 30 years ago, now, with age, have been pronouced as having the original finish (by those in the know) and sell for the higher price. Something to think about.
    ...which is why I'd never sink $$ into a vintage Fender. They are just too easy to manipulate...
    That, and I like recent work--instruments with carefully selected (for weight) woods, and details to my liking...
    And, I don't have to worry about them as much...

But in the world of faked Loar-period instruments, I've never seen anything that could pass muster, including Gary's 'dola.
    (The work is waaaay too clean, and we haven't seen the label yet... ).

In other words, I don't think there are any fake "Loars" floating around out there that would fool an expert (or even someone like me)...
    ...and you are simply foolish if you don't pull an expert in when buying one of these things...

...and then there's violins.

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    ...which is why I'd never sink $$ into a vintage Fender. They are just too easy to manipulate...
    That, and I like recent work--instruments with carefully selected (for weight) woods, and details to my liking...
    And, I don't have to worry about them as much...
    (apologies in advance for the hijack)

Boy, if only I could find a nonvintage Tele that was just like Clarence White's (now Marty Stuart's). That thing has the most incredible high end, different from any Tele I've ever heard. Of course, Marty is probably the best player walking around breathing air to command that instrument, but still - how much fun would it be to tinker around with some parts and come up with an axe half that cool?
    Clark Beavans

Quote Originally Posted by tree View Post

Boy, if only I could find a nonvintage Tele that was just like Clarence White's (now Marty Stuart's). That thing has the most incredible high end, different from any Tele I've ever heard. Of course, Marty is probably the best player walking around breathing air to command that instrument, but still - how much fun would it be to tinker around with some parts and come up with an axe half that cool?
    Super easy and fun to do...
    (Aside from the B-Bender routs and setup, that is. But even that is doable)...

Teles need to be futzed with until the correct pickup combo reveals itself, and when it does, it's quite obvious....
    I've dropped pups into Teles that didn't cut it at all, only to have them shine in a different Tele down the line...
    Just do it...

7. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Well, I have this garage but, having one dickens of a time finding the 1957 Jaguar 120 to fit it!
    Interesting way to go about getting something to fit a case Gary! Great deception, cracks me up every time I see another post about it.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Ok, Loar label done, and tuner shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	132510   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	238 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	132511   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	268 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	132512  

You're a lot closer than I was when I attempted to do this....

Okay, the Loar label is done, but - let's go the whole hog - the bridge top is a mandolin style rather than mandola. (Well, #s 76488 and 76490 do have such a bridge, but then again...) Anyhow, thanks for all this - and a good laugh!

Find me all the right parts and it'll be a different story. I have one period mandolin bridge waiting for a mandin.

13. The following members say thank you to testore for this post:

Hmmm.

Great spoof Gary and I really admire your H-5. It's about 99% accurate enough to fool most of us folks. I got suspicious with the SS tailpiece cover but those are easily and often replaced over a 91 year lifetime. Also a bit too shiney for its age but finishes get "touched up" over time as well and it would be the MOST figured maple I've ever seen on a vintage "Gibson". Those folks "down-under" sure do love their mandolas. I have a Duff H-5 'dola w/Virzi which is delicious to play and very pleasing to the eyes but your copy is so much closer to the real thing. Is it for sale (not that I need another 'dola)? It sure is gorgeous!!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

The mandola is not for sale. It is going to be part of my collection to be sold at auction upon my death. Along with a collection of similar Loar creations.

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

I love it! I remember one Loar F5 replica you did. How many have you got? I'd love to see em all.

The world may never know!��

Who was it that said...
    "It's not important that you know, it's important that I know."
    Timothy F. Lewis

20. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Okay, the Loar label is done, but - let's go the whole hog - the bridge top is a mandolin style rather than mandola. (Well, #s 76488 and 76490 do have such a bridge, but then again...) Anyhow, thanks for all this - and a good laugh!
    I look at the pics in the first post and I don't see mandolin saddle, it looks like mandola saddle but it's reversed- bass to treble.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I look at the pics in the first post and I don't see mandolin saddle, it looks like mandola saddle but it's reversed- bass to treble.
    You're absolutely right, Adrian, thanks for putting me straight. You got a great eye.

This is a Cumberland bridge and their mandola bridge concept. It works.

YOU didn't make the bridge!? I'm crushed, forget my offer of two hundred fifty thousand dollars!

Better forget the offer of two hundred for that matter, I'm broke!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Beautiful work, ya fooled me, Gary.

you hooked me too. I still don't see any humor in your post. maybe somebody will explain it to me.

What question can I answer for you jackgaryk?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackgaryk View Post
    I still don't see any humor in your post. maybe somebody will explain it to me.
    These tongue-in-cheek subtleties are lost on those who are used to expect honest seriousness because that's how they are themselves. Good on you - you're one to do business with. I used to be like that and it took me years to learn to detect fun in the impossible (and a Loar mandola turning up like that clearly belongs in that category).
    Blessed are those lighthearted ones who expect everything to be a joke, because they will totally miss out on reality when the world ends in terror on April 1st...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world