Thread: refit bridge or leave it ?

Default refit bridge or leave it ?

Hello:
    I have a 1940 Harmony Marquis F-hole mandolin with the original ebony bridge.
    I've played it in the same room with an F5 and it holds its own but the treble side of the bridge is showing a little light (slight)between the treble foot and the top .
    ? is will I gain any thing in tone or volume by refitting the bridge .
    I have read all the posts and cant decide.
    The top is somewhat uneven in its radius (75 year old spruce)
    I quess I'm asking the opinion of someone who has done it.
    thanks
    Dub in Sprinkleburgh

Default Re: refit bridge or leave it ?

What is " a little light" ?A picture would help. I can't think of any reason it would hurt to refit it. Unless its made worse. Tone wise it may gain nothing. But, I feel a better fit will keep the top from future distortion/denting in the bridge area in the future.

I assume the OP means that the end of the bridge foot is not quite down on the top. Generally speaking:

* The biggest issue is whether the bridge is digging into the top - so the main thing to check is that the ends of the feet that aren't up in the air are not digging in.
    * Sound wise, the closer the fit, the better they generally sound. Like all things, you get into deminishing returns at some point.
    * If the top is old and wonky (as they often are), then getting a really good fit is hard. I aim to get it as close as possible but don't slavishly follow every wrinkle in the top, rather aim for a smooth arch that doesn't pinch the top anywhere, or stick up at the ends. After that, the top will gradually deform to the new "smoothed out" bridge footprint.

Thank You for your reply;
    Bryce and Tavy
    I was able to slip a .010 feeler under the treble foot about 1/8" tried to upload it but no dice

I did actually post a reply yesterday,most of it making the same points that Tavy makes in his 3rd paragraph. Ideally,a bridge should fit to the top as perfectly as possible,however,i've often wondered whether a bridge needs to fit 100% perfectly - i suspect not.
    As long as it fits as well as it might,given that a mandolin top may have discrepancies in it's curvature,then a slight mis-match such as the OP points out,might be more trouble than it's worth to put right,for maybe not very much (if any) improvement.
    One thing that could be done however,is to glue a tiny sliver of wood to the bridge in the offending area,shape & sand it so that it fits the top more acurately. That would fill in the offending gap, & being so small,it shouldn't affect the tonal qualities of the mandolin at all. A hard wood such as Maple could be used & simply stained black on the edges (Felt tipped pen) to match the bridge,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.