Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taran "Springwell" mandolin by luthier Rory Dowling

Default Re: Taran "Springwell" mandolin by luthier Rory Dowling

Hello, how about delivery to Germany ? Payment etc

Are there any in stock ? How long would I have to wait ?

Best email Rory Dowling directly through his website Werner, I don't have those answers myself. I am merely a fascinated bystander to this fine luthier.

3. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Done. Thank you.

How does the Springwell compare to the Collings MT O soundwise ?

I can't answer that Werner, as I haven't played that Collings ..... we do hope to do some videos of the "Springwell" mandos at some stage soon, so you'll hear them clearly then.

Well here's one, and there are a few more on youtube. to my ear they sound quite like good vintage Gibsons.

The Taran is much more like a Sobell mandolin, not maple bodied, rosewood and other woods with sycamore.
    There is a full explanation on the Taran website ..... hope that helps a little, but Rory is the man to ask, which I think you have done.

Yes, I was browsing and searching for hours when Rory did not respond to my query as soon as I was hoping he would. Alot of correspondation with Trevor (poor man) and nearly ordered a Collings when at that moment Rory mailed I could have one. Something I did not reckon with any more. But the unexpected happened and so now it is in the making and ordered. End of May, he said.
    Excited and nervous to get my hands on it. But if I should ever make alot of money with my paintings a nice Collings will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Jaekel View Post
    Yes, I was browsing and searching for hours when Rory did not respond to my query as soon as I was hoping he would. Alot of correspondation with Trevor (poor man) and nearly ordered a Collings when at that moment Rory mailed I could have one. Something I did not reckon with any more. But the unexpected happened and so now it is in the making and ordered. End of May, he said.
    Excited and nervous to get my hands on it. But if I should ever make alot of money with my paintings a nice Collings will follow.
    I'm sure you will love the Springwell! I hope to visit Rory this summer sometime and see what he's up to.
    As you are aware, the Springwell is originally modeled on Kevin's Sobell (not that it would be exactly the same as I'm sure Rory will have put his own ideas into it).
    In my own case I have a Sobell (a 10 string mandolin) and a Collings MT, but with f holes. I've never actually played - indeed never seen - an oval Collings so I refrained from commenting earlier on. I have to say thgough that I have been very, very happy with both of my mandolins and part of this is because they are different from each other, which I think is a good thing
    David A. Gordon

Werner, what kind of wood are you getting? It must be that someone who ordered one last year had to drop off the list. Sad for them, great for you!
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

[QUOTE=Dagger Gordon;1490732
    In my own case I have a Sobell (a 10 string mandolin) and a Collings MT, but with f holes.[/QUOTE]

It was this comment made me interested in the MT. Trevor has one in stock.

The kind of mandolin I would be very interested in is one with the sweetest voice, great sustain, moody with bark and bite and dogs' growl. Is there someting like this ?

I thought an oval hole would come nearer.

For a long time I like and play celtic,not an expert like you folks but a keen player. Whenever I am not busy with timeconsuming painting. But I am not sure what exactly makes this kind of mandolin so special for celtic ? I suppose if I were born and reared in a celtic invironment I would know and not ask such a question. Bear with me.

Liestman So far he only mentioned scottish sycamore. A bit difficult to get information as he must be very busy with his craft and arts. Little time for chatting. It's ok. Why did he drop off the list? Do you know ?

https://vimeo.com/79402187 interesting
    Last edited by Werner Jaekel; May-04-2016 at 9:22am.

Hey Werner,

were do you live in Germany? It would be great to have the opportunity to try a Springwell. If you like, we could meet some day. Maybe it would also be of some interest for you to hear the mandolin being played in front of you.
    I play irish tunes and could also bring my Snakehead for comparison.

Werner - I don't know for a fact that anyone dropped off the list. I just know the 2015 list of 5 mandolins are either still waiting or just got their instruments and the 2016 list of 5 mandolins are promised for this coming winter (mine is sycamore and is in the 2016 list - he also offers rosewood and perhaps other woods). So my only guess is that someone on the 2015 list dropped off (lack of money maybe?) and you are getting that one. Just a guess as to what happened. But lucky you! I will have waited for a year and a half for mine. From what I have seen, they are worth the wait.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

14. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post:

[QUOTE=Werner Jaekel;1490795]It was this comment made me interested in the MT. Trevor has one in stock.

The kind of mandolin I would be very interested in is one with the sweetest voice, great sustain, moody with bark and bite and dogs' growl. Is there someting like this ?

I thought an oval hole would come nearer. /QUOTE]

Judge for yourself. Here I am playing my MT.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=co4tfu3PLV4
    David A. Gordon

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Last edited by Werner Jaekel; May-04-2016 at 4:14pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Hey Werner,

were do you live in Germany? It would be great to have the opportunity to try a Springwell. If you like, we could meet some day. Maybe it would also be of some interest for you to hear the mandolin being played in front of you.
    I play irish tunes and could also bring my Snakehead for comparison.
    As it is my days are packed with activities from 5am to 10 pm. What I can offer is a meeting when I visit family near Kassel , 20 min by car.

I owe Rory for thinking of me when he had a spare on his bench. So I bring the Springwell, probably within next 2 or 3 months.

I am interested in Fado and a Coimbra or Lisboa. Unfortunately I could not grab one while visiting Portugal last time.. Playing Choro on mandolin is new to me. There is also an Indian playing Raga on mandolin.

Very interesting instrument. That is the kind I am looking for, besides all others . It is also large bodied, maybe the Springwell can do it.

https://youtu.be/a_dMJx41Snk
    Last edited by Werner Jaekel; May-05-2016 at 12:55am.

Very interesting instrument. That is the kind I am looking for, besides all others . It is also large bodied, maybe the Springwell can do it.
    Difficult to tell if that's a large bodied mandolin or a small bodied mandola.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I hope to soon collect the Springwell I ordered last year and will of course post up a report once I have it.

As it is my days are packed with activities from 5am to 10 pm. What I can offer is a meeting when I visit family near Kassel , 20 min by car.

I owe Rory for thinking of me when he had a spare on his bench. So I bring the Springwell, probably within next 2 or 3 months.

I am interested in Fado and a Coimbra or Lisboa. Unfortunately I could not grab one while visiting Portugal last time.. Playing Choro on mandolin is new to me. There is also an Indian playing Raga on mandolin.

https://youtu.be/a_dMJx41Snk
    This would be great Werner, if we could meet in Kassel. So we could compare the Springwell to my other mandolins, too, if you like. We also have a Irish Session in Kassel, if youīre interested.
    To the Indian mandolin Player: A few years ago I saw Sugato Bhaduri playing here in Kassel and I had the chance to talk to him after the concert. What heīs playing is a Mandola and his Tuning is ADAD. He mentioned that itīs much easier to perform the Glissandi, that are necessary in indian music, on a longer scale than on a mandolin scale and that this was an important reason for him to choose the mandola.

22. The following members say thank you to Michael Wolf for this post:

@ Michael Wolf

"Dear Werner,

Hope that this finds you well. Sorry for my delayed reply.
    After a lot of thought about the Sycamore Springwell that I offered you I have come to a decision about the best course of action.
    I felt that it was important to ask one of the clients in the next batch if they would like this mandolin as they have been waiting a year since their order was placed. They ordered a Sycamore Springwell in the beginning and would like to take this one. Sorry for any unset on this matter.
    I would like to ask if you would be interested taking the place for the next batch which will be starting in August 2016? This would mean that you could tailor the order to your own specifications.
    I have attached this years price list for your interest.

Apologises again for the change of tack. I really do want to do the best but all of my clients and this in my mind is the correct thing to do." Quote Rory Dowling email today

After offering it to me ( why?, if he had a waiting list ?), agreeing on price and delivery, sending photos of the instrument and giving a time of arrival. An offer, an agreement on price and delivery and a gentlemans' word is morally and legally binding.

For me this matter is done with and finished. Over and forgotten. Who knows what it is good for.

Sorry Michael Wolf. But we still can meet some day. I am interested in Choro and Fado.

Do you know what kind of mandola Sugato Bhaduri is playing ? Is it made in India ?

[B]PS Rory Dowling explained and apologized. Fairness is something essential, so I accept. I was upset, but not any more. I don't mind and turn to new chances.
    Good luck to him. He should get his business straightened out.
    Last edited by Werner Jaekel; May-08-2016 at 1:19pm.

Hi All,

I would like to explain a little about this situation.
    Apologises again to Werner.

This is not an excuse for my actions however it may go some way to help explain things. We (my wife and I) are currently buying our first house, it has been a massively stressful experience as I’m sure you will understand.

As you many know I built a mandolin last year and it was received very well which I was very pleased about naturally. I have had a lot of orders from various parties for them and the orders for this year is now full. Most were ordered last year.

I had a mandolin that became available for various reasons.

I offered the mandolin to Werner however I completely forgot that I had another client who had ordered a Sycamore Springwell last year. This, because of the pressure at home that I’m under.

Last night I realised my mistake and because I really would not like to unset anyone ever, I offered the mandolin to this client who has been waiting over a year and asked Werner if he might like to wait a couple of extra months.

Now all of this is completely my fault, I am entirely to blame for such blunders in business and it is certainly not the way that I intended at all.

My up most apologises to Werner and I hope that we can put the this behind us

I hope that this help in understanding of the situation.

Kindest regards,

Rory

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taran Guitars For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure that it is ever good practise to publish private correspondence (whether email or in any form) on a public forum such as this.
    David A. Gordon

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I'm not sure that it is ever good practise to publish private correspondence (whether email or in any form) on a public forum such as this.
    Right you are. I had an appointment with Michael Wolf to let him try the Springwell. And receiving that message I was furious after all that expectation and virtuel playing of the Springwell. I was compiling tunes and practised alot for this instrument. Anyone who would not be disappointed ?

Now that is over and settled . Also for a Springwell.

I accept his apologies and wish him good luck and all the best.

29. The following members say thank you to Werner Jaekel for this post:

@ Michael Wolf

Sorry Michael Wolf. But we still can meet some day. I am interested in Choro and Fado.

Do you know what kind of mandola Sugato Bhaduri is playing ? Is it made in India ?
    No Problem, we can meet some day anyway. If you are near Kassel, you could drop me a line.
    I donīt know what kind of mandola Sugato Bhaduri is playing. I didnīt ask, but my impression was that it is nothing really special or high end. Itīs a quite normal flattop mandola.

31. The following members say thank you to Michael Wolf for this post:

Just a wee nudge of the thread back on track hopefully ...

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

My new Taran "Springwell" mandolin (#4) arrived today. Awesome instrument. Everything said above is absolutely true. Have hardly put it down all day. The strings are settling in nicely. Will post some pictures later this week. Many thinks to Rory for the high quality work he did, and continues to do, in the acoustic instrument world.

Just a few general comments from my experience so far:
    1. The shipping connections between Scotland and Midwest USA are quite fast. The instrument arrived in two days. Amazing.
    2. The first thing I noticed was that the instrument was well balanced, weight wise, so that it was easy to hold and fret. I ordered the strap button, but probably don't need it because the instrument sits nicely in my lap.
    3. The narrower and longer headstock is lovely AND it is lighter than both my Collings mandolin's headstock. It is very easy to keep upright even without a strap.
    4. The fit and finish are superb, simple, and very understated. I selected the lighter, Scottish sycamore for back and sides. I also had D'Addarrio EFW74 flat-wound strings put on. Very little string squeak and a very long sustain. I would imagine that Elixir or J74 would be just fine as well.
    5. Rory bound the top and back with a darker wood that is lovely. It accents the instrument without being too overpowering. I look forward to the sycamore ageing into a nice mellow color over time.
    6. The tuners are Waverly and very stable. It has remained in tune after only one tuning since I opened the box several hours ago.
    7. I have not tested the K&K pick-up yet, but I will test it later this month in church, using my LR Baggs pre-amp. Will report on that later. I expect that it will be fine.
    8. Very smooth business transaction from start to finish. The currency conversion charges that the banks add are ridiculous, but nothing can be done about that. The payment process was very quick.
    9. The black Hiscox case is very nice. I ordered it because of its stability. The case price was also lower than here in the USA. There is plenty of room in the case for the mandolin and other accessories.

For now, that about covers it. It is a real honor to own this instrument. More later.

Mike
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

35. The following members say thank you to dulcillini for this post: