Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taran "Springwell" mandolin by luthier Rory Dowling

Default Taran "Springwell" mandolin by luthier Rory Dowling

Rory Dowling of Taran Guitars has just completed a prototype mandolin, his first. We have been discussing mandolins since we met 3 or 4 years ago, and, as we both admire the mid 80s mandolins by the great Stefan Sobell, it was a natural progression to creating something similar, in what is sometimes referred to as a "Celtic" mandolin, rather than a standard F style instrument.

Here are some short videos to show his new mandolin, which is very affordable. Details are available on his website. I hope its of interest, as it is a great instrument, to my mind.

http://www.taranguitars.co.uk/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Taran "Springwell" mandolin by luthier Rory Dowling

Nice playing, nice tunes, nice mandolin!!
    Too many instruments...too little time

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BBarton For This Useful Post:

Cheers, I'm sure Rory will be pleased to hear that.

6. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

This is also posted over on the Builders and Repairs section by Rory, Kevin.
    What a great-sounding instrument and your playing and the instrument's response certainly do justice to each other. Loved your Somme rendition particularly!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Thanks John, yes, Rory himself has got a thread going, so I thought it might be of interest here. It's a fine instrument, and as with all prototypes, a few wee tweaks here and there yet to do, but the final version will be superb, and develop over time as my Sobell has done over 32 years! Trust this finds you well and busy? Best wishes, Kevin

10. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

I should point out that my involvement in this is simply based on my huge admiration for a remarkably talented Scottish luthier, who I am thoroughly delighted to assist in any way possible.

12. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Yes, lovely-sounding instrument played by a man who knows how to make it sing as well as it can!
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Anderson For This Useful Post:

I must say it does sound great.

Good interview too, Kevin. Some very pertinent questions and observations clearly articulated.

Looking forward to trying one. Great stuff!
    David A. Gordon

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagger Gordon For This Useful Post:

Better still, Dagger, sell a few auld yows and order one! Sorely tempted myself! When I retire perhaps!!!

18. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Many thanks to Kevin for all of his help with this new project and his fantastic playing! Thank you all for your kind words.

I've had a few emails regarding cost and build time on the Springwell Mandolin. Thought I'd put a wee bit of information up for those who are interested.

I will be making 5 a year as my guitar orders won't allow more sadly. This years will be ready in 4/6months and have a base price of £1399. If you would like more information on the options available please email me on rorydowling@taranguitars.co.uk for a price list.

Many thanks again.

All the very best,

Rory

www.taranguitars.co.uk
    www.thewoodshop.scot

20. The following members say thank you to Taran Guitars for this post:

Here you go John Kelly, the full but short clip, which I hadn't used.
    Hope it appeals!

slainte Kevin

22. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

That has real lift and drive, Kevin. You're still the man to try to match!
    Thanks for posting.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Very close to putting in an order. Going to sleep on it tonight. I love that open, unique sound for the jigs and reels. I have a fantastic mandolin now, but this style that Mr. Dowling is working on, really fits that music genre. Several Celtic style players here in the US like the Gibson A4 style and they do sound terrific, but I think I like this "Springwell" a bit more. Very unique. Decisions, Decisions. For a flat top mandolin, it really sings out. Very impressive.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

26. The following members say thank you to dulcillini for this post:

It is an arched top instrument, carved, not flat, which is why it sounds so different, Dulcillini. If I were you I'd grab one fast - its awesome!

28. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Thanks for the correction, Kevin. I guess that I did not look at the video close enough. I was caught up in the sound of the thing !! Placing an order later today. Enjoyed your video and comments. I was comparing (as best that one can using on-line video) the Gibson A-4 style (there are a few great builders that mimic that style) and the "Springwell" by Rory Dowling. I keep going back to the Dowling ! I think what will close the deal for me is that it is built in Scotland for that style of music. I have a fantastic mandolin now (Collings MF5) but this would be a nice addition. Now I have to figure out what (among my other instruments) that I need to sell to make room for this Scottish lad !
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

30. The following members say thank you to dulcillini for this post:

Hi Michael,

here's a wee demo of the Sobell that Rory has paid homage to when creating this, his first mandolin.

It is a distinctive sound, different from A4s or Collings, which can all be wonderful, of course.

I think you would enjoy playing this for many years, as I do my old Sobell.

The sound will mature, as well, as they do.

regards, Kevin

32. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Just ordered mine this morning. Looking forward to it.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dulcillini For This Useful Post:

Brilliant; if I had the extra money I would order one right away! Left the Navy recently so money is tight.
    I will definitely place an order once I graduate from college and have a job!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boatswain For This Useful Post:

Hi All,

Just a wee update on this years Springwells...

I've had an amazing amount of interest in the mandolin and I'm pleased/afraid that this years places are all sold out. I am taking orders for next years places now for those who are interested.

Many thanks to everyone who has been in touch. I hope to do a wee build thread of the next ones....

All the very best,

Rory

Taran Guitars

www.taranguitars.co.uk
    www.thewoodshop.scot

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taran Guitars For This Useful Post:

Here's a short account on the genesis of the new mandolin.

http://www.kevinmacleod.co.uk/taran-...gwell-mandolin

I met luthier Rory Dowling at a music session in The Reverie in Edinburgh sometime around 2010. That evening, he was passing a guitar over in the pub to the talented Scottish guitarist Matheu Watson. It was a very beautiful looking instrument, gleaming white spruce and gorgeous curves, so I went and introduced myself to these guys to find out more about the guitar. I was suitably amazed to discover that one of these fellows was the actual maker of that stunning instrument, as there are not many luthiers in Scotland at all. We quickly struck up a friendship, and when Rory learnt of my small collection of instruments, including a Stefan Sobell mandolin and octave mandolin, I invited him round to take a look at them, as he was very interested in the Sobell style of instrument making, and had received a lot of support and encouragement from the man himself. We had a fascinating evening going over all my bouzoukis, resonators, mandolins and oddities like a 19th Century small Portuguese guitarra. It was clear to me that Rory really knew his stuff, and I learnt a lot of new details about my instruments that evening. Clearly, Rory was going places, and his move to a spectacular custom designed workshop in the East Neuk of Fife was a major statement of further developments.

Rory was particularily impressed with my small bodied 1983 four course Sobell mandolin, built in European spruce, Indian rosewood and a mahogany neck. At that stage he was making a lot of guitars, but in our many conversations, he was obviously keen to make a range of other instruments, and a fine Irish style bouzouki was completed, which eventually went to Matheu Watson about 4 years ago. I believe he made a couple of other ones too at that time. So he seemed keen to add to the guitar range, and to an extent return to instrument types that he had started on before his guitars took off. As things transpired, I left my Sobell mandolin with him in the Comie Law farm workshop last year for the fitting of a K&K pickup system, and I told him to keep it until he had got all the subtleties and details he might want from it. Later, Rory began his first mandolin prototype based on my mandolin, which gradually surfaced in 2014.

So, I was very excited to get a message early in 2015 to say the prototype was virtually complete, and could I try it out? The new instrument was very beautiful to look at, the wood being very fine, and the attention to detail and finish being very sharp, accurate and attractive. It, too, was of the same wood combination, but was also clearly a Taran instrument, which I liked a lot. It is not a Sobell copy, more of a homage to that approach. I was extremely taken with the powerful, balanced bell like sound, and ease of playability. We also discussed a few tiny tweaks, which should add to its cailbre. Rory and I created some short videos to demonstrate the instrument, and I took the opportunity to do a short, spontaneous interview Rory about the mandolin project. In conversation, I asked if he had a name for the range, and we decided then and there to christen it the "Springwell" mandolin after the title of my first solo mandolin album, which is named for my family crofthouse in Polbain in the far NW Highlands of Scotland in Coigach. Rory's other instruments have names from parts of The Island of Harris in the Outer Hebrides, where Rory too has Highland connections, so it seemed doubly appropriate. I am very flattered that Rory chose to do this.

To date, the response to Rory's new mandolin has been wonderful, with, I gather, a series of orders coming in, and I look forward to seeing the first batch of 5 mandolins appear. It would be good to do a comparison of the various wood types Rory is proposing to utilise, including Scottish scamore. I am certain that the new "Springwell" will give the new owners many years worth of fine music and pleasure in the way that my 32 year old Sobell has done. There is also a Taran tenor guitar and a guitar-bouzouki in progress, so I hope we can do a similar exercise to let the world see how very fine the workmanship of Rory Dowling is.

You can catch up with Rory at his website http://www.taranguitars.co.uk/

©2015 Kevin Macleod | Website by Shed

41. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Fascinating interview with Rory Dowling of Taran Guitars.

http://acousticsoundboard.co.uk/thre...-taran-guitars

There is a completely new, whizzy website for my friends at Taran Guitars here in Scotland, with a section for mandolins and bouzoukis as well as the guitar range. Might be of interest?

http://www.taranguitars.co.uk/

44. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Any comments on how the 2015 batch came out? (I am on the 2016 list - can't wait!)
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

46. The following members say thank you to liestman for this post:

48. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post: