Thread: My new Tolley Mandolin

Default My new Tolley Mandolin

I had no intention of buying a new mandolin when I was browsing the classified ads a few weeks ago here on the cafe. Especially because I had just bought a late teens A4 only 2 weeks earlier. I bought the A4 to replace the A4 I had sold 20 years ago. That was my favorite mandolin and I sold it because when I love an instrument too much it begins to own me, that's when I know it's time to sell. Maybe that sounds odd, but for me it's a way to open the possibilities of owning a new instrument.

Mike Fox plays in the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble with me. He is a great player and a big fan of the cafe. Mike's often mentioning ideas and tips he picks up here on the cafe. I hadn't visited these pages for many years. Then through Mike's enthusiasm regarding the cafe I decided to browse through the pages. When I started browsing the classifieds, I saw many instruments that looked great but none inspired me to purchase another mandolin.

Then as a browsed deeper into the classifieds I saw Matthew Tolley's 2 point mandolin and I was really taken back by the beauty of his design. I corresponded with Matthew and eventually spoke with him on the phone. His description of the sound of the instrument gave me enough confidence to make the deal. Now, after a week of playing the mandolin, I couldn't be happier. The sound is warm and balanced and has continued to improve and open up the more I play. The feel is great, it plays quick and with ease. I sent a set of Thomastik starks to Matthew and he was happy to set up the instrument to accommodate these strings. One aspect I really like about this mandolin is that the tonal sweet spot for picking is not above the fingerboard enabling me to access a large pallet of tones. Bluegrass is not my primary style, I mainly play classical and folk music and I love where the two styles meet. This mandolin seems to be suitable for many styles and I plan to put it to good use with many upcoming gigs. I am certain that Matthew will continue to create new and wonderful instruments and I hope you can take the time to see, play and hopefully own one of his instruments. Take a look at his website Tolleyguitars.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019-Tolley-2-Point-Mandolin-Front.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	131974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	024-Tolley-2-Point-Mandolin-Back.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	131975

One more note. A week after buying the A4, I showed my wife a photo of the Tolley mandolin. When I told her I was buying it she said “Oh no your not!” Yikes, I was in trouble. Then I started looking at a $10,000 mandolin, decided not to buy and now she is relieved and feels she dodged a bullet. I really love my wife!

Joe Todaro

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mandolute For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My new Tolley Mandolin

That's a beauty......
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Wow, Joe, it's a beauty! I look forward to hearing it. How about posting a sound clip?

Bob

What a sweet story and nice mandolin. Congratulations on your new addition.

I saw that one and it is a beauty. I have heard the sound clips at Greg Boyd's site and they sound great. Would like to play one and meet him. I am 4-5 hours away? Enjoy it and post a sound clip or two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90U-6612_front.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	131988

Here is a photo of the A4 that I mentioned. I bought it from my friends at Elderly. The price was reduced due to non original parts and the pickguard rash that ate away at the finish. The instrument is structurally sound with a nice arched top and a brace that is completey attached. Professional repairs appear to include refretting, fingerboard rebound, a new nut, and adjustable bridge. The case, tailpiece and bridge are not original and the pickguard is missing. This wouldn't be a piece for the collector but it sure is a fine player.

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

I was really considering that Tolley before you got it. Such a good looking instrument. Congrats!!!

Joe brought the Tolley to a Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble rehearsal and he let me play it for one tune. It sounds as good as it looks. I have to confess that I violated the Tenth Commandment that night - I coveted it! But it is in fine hands with Joe. He is a great player with as sweet a tone as I have heard.
    Last edited by mandolinfox; Mar-20-2015 at 11:56am. Reason: grammar
    1987 Flatiron A-5 Artist "Woody"
    2003 Weber Gallatin F "Phaedrus"
    1921 Gibson A-2 "Lily"

Truly a fine looking mandolin, and a two-pointer to boot! When I saw the two Tolley As on Greg Boyd's site along with sound clips last fall, I was really tempted. They were on my short list for sure, until the Pava followed me home. Matt's designs are very elegant. I hope you will favor us with a sound clip.

Scott

Beautiful instrument!!
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Sweet! Mathew does beautiful work.

First time I have made a response to a thread. I wanted to comment on Matthew Tolley - great guitar, great luthier. Met Matthew a few years ago when I bought a 2011 A5 he had built. Had played it at a guitar show where a friend of his had displayed a few of his instruments. Bought it a couple months later when he posted it in the Cafe classifieds. I am primarily a guitar player and subsequently had him build an OM for me - fantastic playing and sounding guitar. I attempted to sell the A5 through Greg Boyd as I had commissioned an F5 from Matthew (almost done). For some reason it didn't sell and I took it back at Wintergrass this year - didn't really need to sell the mandolin and had only consigned it as I had ordered the F5. Glad I got it back - reminded me why I liked it so much to begin with. I also purchased one of Matthew's archtop guitars and had him re-top a mahogany D-18 made by a well known builder, but the bracing had been poor and the top was sinking (unfortunately, no warranty as I had bought it from someone else). Did a great job. For those of you thinking about having Matthew build you something - do so. You won't be disappointed. For those of you looking for something that is currently available, he still has a 2013 A5 with Greg Boyd and an F5 with Dusty Strings in Seattle. For those of you living in the Seattle area that need repair or set-up work done - I recommend him highly.

I think it's beautiful! Great lines/ design. The little things that often don't get noticed.

15. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Congrats Joe! She is a beauty. I came close to getting that mando, glad it found a good home.

Matthew builds some really nice looking mandolins! All of the unique lines flow together nicely and compliment each of them. One can tell a lot of thought went into the design!
    Congratulations on your new mandolin!

Blog Entries

Very snazzy!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +