Thread: Anyone using a PRO35 with a Headway EDB 1 or 2

Default Anyone using a PRO35 with a Headway EDB 1 or 2

I am about to get a new Gibson F5G early next week and I am looking to also upgrade my Pickup/Mic for the new Mandolin. I am looking at going with the AT PRO 35 Mic vs. the K&K twin internal that I have on my current Mandolin. I was thinking of running it through a Headway EDB1 or 2 to provide phantom power and provide me with some ability to control my mix/gain from the stage.

Has anyone one used this combination? I would like to have some feedback before I make any purchasing decisions. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Lee

Default Re: Anyone using a PRO35 with a Headway EDB 1 or 2

I used to use that combination (more or less) with my mandolin. We now have a digital desk that I can control from my iPad, so I don't need the control from the EDB1 that I was using. I now use Audio Technica System 10 Wireless, and plug the ATM350 mic straight into that. The PRO35 mic is really good, and not far off the more expensive ATM350 (I was given mine!). The EDB1 is great, but you might want to swap for another 18v power supply (or run on batteries). The stock supply is a little noisy. A mounting tip; I bought a cheap tailpiece cover for my Fern, and attached the AT mic clip to this with industrial strength velcro. To switch from acoustic to mic, I just remove the original tailpiece and slide the cheap one on. Point the gooseneck mic at the lower F hole (or between the f-hole and the bridge foot), and away you go.
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

Blog Entries

Can confirm this is OK. I've also used the EDB2 with both the PRO35 and ATM350. Both mics are fine with 11-52v phantom, and the Headways provide 18v on the Ch 2 XLR. Just make sure you use fresh batteries as if the voltage drops off too much, it could degrade things. The AT's draw approximately 3.5 mA. I've always used mine with decent quality alkaline batteries, so what Tim says about the mains PSU is worth bearing in mind. The velcro mounting tip is great - I worked up something similar... I'll get some photos up shortly, as I was not totally happy with clipping it to the Tonegard.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Thank you for your feedback. I would love to see your pictures of how you are mounting your mic. My initial thought was to mount it to the tone-gard like others on here (I get my new Mandolin on Thursday). But would like to see if there is a better way to mount the mic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-09 19.57.47.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	131518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-09 19.58.34.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	131519 The mic is pre-attached to a cheap tailpiece cover with industrial strength velcro. Remove the Gibson cover, slide on the replacement, mic can be left pre-adjusted. Takes seconds, and good to go. I use a wireless transmitter attached to my strap, but an XLR adapter clipped to the strap works just as well. (the adapter that comes with the mic has a clip).
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello

Lost in the Blue Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by mandotim1955 View Post

Name:	2015-03-09 19.57.47.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	131518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-09 19.58.34.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	131519 The mic is pre-attached to a cheap tailpiece cover with industrial strength velcro.
    Nice, I like! I'm going to do the same, what tailpiece did you buy?
    I bought a GoldenGate one but it's larger than my 2004 F-9 original cover...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JLD View Post
    Thank you for your feedback. I would love to see your pictures of how you are mounting your mic. My initial thought was to mount it to the tone-gard like others on here (I get my new Mandolin on Thursday). But would like to see if there is a better way to mount the mic.
    Here is my set up. The little clip cost about $40 but it works great.

Name:	Mandolin mic  (1).jpg 
Views:	688 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	131760

Name:	Mandolin clip on mic.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	131761

Hi Lightner. The tailpiece cover was a very cheap generic one from eBay, cost less than $10. Don't give up on the one you have though; they can be adjusted simply by bending the sides in a little. Doug; I tried the DPA clip you pictured; mine kept falling off, hence the tailpiece solution.
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello

Blog Entries

Worth mentioning that you can make a similar thing to Tim's using neodymium (rare earth) miniature magnets.

Stick these to the side of the AT clip with super glue or hot melt adhesive. Cover with a piece of large diameter cable 'shrink wrap'. This helps hold them there and also serves to protect the instrument, then, provided you are using a pressed steel or otherwise magnetically sensitive tailpiece, they lock on really well and do no damage. Unfortunately, this will not work on all tailpieces, e.g., most cast or machined brass/bronze types or anything else were non-magnetic material has been used.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

10. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post: