Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blueridge BR-40TCE or Ibanez AVT2E

Default Re: Blueridge BR-40TCE or Ibanez AVT2E

Quote Originally Posted by michaeloceanmoon View Post
    I promise to share my experience with a Blue Ridge when I have some to share. And I am very grateful to everyone's replies. Here's a recap of my questions.
    1. Mahogany vs Rosewood, aside from aesthetics what's the tonal difference?
    2. Internal electronics, how do they adversely affect the unamped experience? Do they?
    3. Are other after purchase pick up systems preferable?

Decisions, decisions...
    Michael
    I'll try to answer your questions in order:

1. I can hear a difference between rosewood and mahogany even with laminated back and sides. The rosewood has a much fuller sound. In my non-scientific survey of professional acoustic guitarists I've come across, about 80% of them us rosewood back and sides.
    2. In my experience with 6 string acoustic electric guitars, the built in electronics had no effect on the acoustic sound IMHO.
    3. The LR Baggs Lyric or Anthem systems sound amazing. Heather Maloney uses an LR Baggs Anthem system in her BR-60T. Search Youtube to see what it sounds like.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

A link to Heather's Youtube video where she's playing her BR-60T with the LR Baggs Anthem system is www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPvYzTv9JE .

Here's another Youtube video of Heather playing her tenor guitar.

Scott

Tenor Guitars, 1959 Martin 5-15T, 2007 Fletcher Tenor tuned cgda, Blueridge BR-70T
    Mandolins, Jacobson Nautilus #15, 2013 Eastman MD305, 2002 Weber Aspen
    Banjo, 1925 Oriole "by Gibson" Tenor Banjo

Registered User michaeloceanmoon's Avatar

Wow, it's great to be introduced to a talented unfamiliar recording artist playing an instrument I'm seriously considering Chip and Scott! And special thanks too for breaking down my questions so clearly Chip. It's a blessing in disguise. Since I can't find any place locally to walk in and play the BR Tenors, having a very generous Mandolin Cafe community at the ready is super. I've learned so much and been introduced to a larger world (in all the best ways).

Thank you Mr. Rusty Skillet for the original post!
    Michael

Not that I would know for sure, but isn't Miss Maloney playing a BR-40T ? I've seen the 60T's online with white bindings and hers has the black bindings like the 40t's are shown with online? A different year perhaps?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michaeloceanmoon View Post
    Not that I would know for sure, but isn't Miss Maloney playing a BR-40T ? I've seen the 60T's online with white bindings and hers has the black bindings like the 40t's are shown with online? A different year perhaps?

Michael
    I definitely know Heather uses an LR Baggs Anthem system. I thought she played a BR-60T, but after further investigation I think I might be remembering wrong. The binding on her guitar is black and the position marker (dot) is at the 10th fret. This is consistent with a BR-40T. The BR-60T would have white binding and the position marker at the 9th fret. It's possible she has an older model BR-60T, but I can't be sure I'm remembering correctly. Sorry.
    Last edited by Chip Stewart; Sep-02-2015 at 6:01pm. Reason: Correct possible errors

VIt isn't official, but after hunting around my town for some Blueridge tenors to try with no luck, I think my luck has changed. I was leaning towards the BR-60t because I liked the possibility of a fuller sound. Yet after bugging Saga enough for local dealers, they somehow were able to track that a random BR-40t just was sold or consigned to one of my local shops literally a day ago. I ran out and tried it. I would put slightly heavier set of strings on it and possibly have a better set up (because the string spacing at the bridge saddle is a titch off), but I think this may be my second tenor! I had already set up a shop visit tomorrow with a local luthier to try out some older refurbished instruments,.. yet I am financially not really flush enough right now to make a spendy purchase. I think the price on the Blueridge is outstanding... It's selling for $299.99!!! And that's with a Golden Gate c-1511 hard shell case included! Those cases alone are around $130 new. I think this is an outstanding value considering that the guitar is in practically mint condition. I feel very fortunate to have Saga serendipitously alert me to this instrument, so I placed it on a 24 hour hold and am probably securing it tomorrow

They also accept payments which is great because my wife and 6 year old daughter want to get me a special gift for my next birthday which is in 6 weeks. I can make weekly payments and leave the last one for my daughter to make. She'll walk out the door of the guitar shop feeling terrific about the cool guitar she got dad for his birthday! It may be a long wait for me, yet it will be a special memory for my daughter I think. And the price is so ridiculously kind that I can start saving up again for my first Martin down the road.

In 6 weeks lI'll be better equipped to play birthday songs in fifths anyway ! Maybe I'll even figure out how to post my first tenor vid for others curious about the BR-40t sound ( no guarantees ). Then I can offer my BR-40t review.

I'd be loco in the coco not to seal this deal right?! The tenor goddess is smilng on me�� probably best to heed the plan she has unfolded for me.

Thanks everyone for bearing with my newbie saga
    Michael
    Last edited by michaeloceanmoon; Sep-03-2015 at 1:34am.

Congratulations on your find! $299.99 with a case is an excellent price. If for some reason you need a pickup system sometime in the future, you can always have one added. Enjoy your BR-40T.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Blueridge is far more expensive in the UK (as Ozark is far more in the US) to put your deal in perspective .. I paid £390 for my BR40 - second hand & without a case = $596

I am prepping my Harmony baritone uke from the 50's to give to my nephew because he's a special kid. Maybe the universe is keeping the gift going already for me with this lucky find? I feel super fortunate, even more so learning that these instruments are valued well in the Uk. Yes, this instrument may be my first candidate for a pick up, gotta gain some chops in fifths first before getting any louder

Hello ! to all experts !!!

I am interested to purchase one BR-40, but I am hesitating between the BR-40T classic... and the BR-40TCE... (except the pick-up that me does not matter)... !!! Because of their ACCOUSTIC qualities
    ==> Why ? :
    1- Because the cutaway gives the possibility to easy access to the high frets, but may be the reduced sizes and volume of the body could reduce the sound qualities ???
    2- Because (for the classic model) the bigger body could provide a better sound ???

WHAT ARE YOUR ADVICES

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BR-40TCE_a_md.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	186483 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BR-40T_a_md.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	186484
    Last edited by Irénée; Jun-11-2020 at 11:54am.