Thread: Knoxville TN Luthier Recommendations

Registered User Mountaindrifter74's Avatar

Default Knoxville TN Luthier Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a luthier in the Knoxville Tennessee area? There are several music shops here, but I don't personally know any other mandolinist (is that a word?) that I can ask who's good and who's not so good. Been learning on my own and purchased a new Kentucky 1000. The literature described the mando as being set up from the factory, but not too sure about that. I'd like to have it set up right if needed. Any help would be much appreciated!
    MountainDrifter74
    Kentucky KM-1000

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

Default Re: Knoxville TN Luthier Recommendations

Although I don't live in Knoxville I do a lot of work here and have recently had a setup and the Mandovoodoo process done to my Eastman by Steve Perry. Steve is a great guy and really spends quality time analyzing and adjust your instrument until it reaches it's fullest sonic potential. Steve will do a killer setup even if you don't want the Mandovoodoo process. There are tons of threads on hear about that process for you to check out. I'd give him a call.
    Also, before I met Steve I had some work done at The Parlor and that guy (I can't remember his name) was very nice and did a great setup. Either way, you should visit The Parlor and check out their sweet selection on mandolins!

http://www.mandovoodoo.com/about.html

http://www.theparlorknoxville.com/instruments

I second Steve Perry. I combined a sight-seeing trip to the Great Smoky Mountains with having Steve work on my Hogan. He did a nice job!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

My good friend Lynn Dudenbostel lives in Knoxville, just outside actually. Doesn't get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaindrifter74 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a luthier in the Knoxville Tennessee area? There are several music shops here, but I don't personally know any other mandolinist (is that a word?) that I can ask who's good and who's not so good. Been learning on my own and purchased a new Kentucky 1000. The literature described the mando as being set up from the factory, but not too sure about that. I'd like to have it set up right if needed. Any help would be much appreciated!
    Not sure about Knoxville, but after I saw what a superb job Steve Smith @ Cumberland Acoustic did on my mandolin I would recommend shipping your mandolin to him. He does superior work at a very fair price. You can call him @ 877-857-4896.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaindrifter74 View Post
    I'll add another vote for Lynn Dudenbostel. He did a refret and setup on my mandolin recently. It's never sounded or played better. And I haven't been tempted to adjust the action, like I always used to be.

Jim

Thanks guys! These sound like some good recommendations and I know at least a couple are not far from me. Looks like Steve Perry is about 15 minutes from my work and The Parlor is about 30 from my house.
    Do any of you have a contact number for Lynn Dudenbostel or does he have a shop somewhere?
    I'll also check on Cumberland Acoustic and see where it's located.
    I'd rather not ship it unless I have to, but looks like it won't be necessary as most of these seem within driving distance.
    About the Mandovoodoo, does it really make that much of a difference? Does it change the looks of the mandolin? Sounded like he might have to remove wood in areas of the body...am I correct?
    One other thing, I'm still a little confused about Saga stating my Kentucky 1000 was already set from the factory. Do any of you know anything about this?
    Thanks for the support and great info, it's greatly appreciated!
    MountainDrifter74
    Kentucky KM-1000

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

A factory set up can mean anything really. Was some minimal amount of set-up done...probably. However, Usually even high dollar factory made instruments (Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Collings, etc...) can benefit from a competent luthier tweaking it. And what you want in action may be very different than what someone else wants so an aspect of set-up is personal. I tend to play lowish action and it takes some work by a luthier to get it where I like it with no buzzing.

On the MandoVoodoo process, its not going to change the look of you instrument. If you do a search on the cafe forum you will find many discussions of it. There is no consensus. Some people think it works, some don't. Anything that results in supposed improved tone on an instrument tends to be debated fiercely with little agreement. My personal view is that it won't hurt anything and might help so why not if you don't mind spending little to experiment. Especially on a factory made instrument like your kentucky. One improvement to Tone and volume that is much less debated is a ToneGard. Its a basket that keeps the instrument off of your body and allows it to resonate more-similar to a violin chin rest. I have them on all my instruments.

The guy at The Parlor in Knoxville is named Aaron, blanking on his last name. He's very good and has done a lot of work for me over many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Mando Mike View Post
    A factory set up can mean anything really. Was some minimal amount of set-up done...probably. However, Usually even high dollar factory made instruments (Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Collings, etc...) can benefit from a competent luthier tweaking it. And what you want in action may be very different than what someone else wants so an aspect of set-up is personal. I tend to play lowish action and it takes some work by a luthier to get it where I like it with no buzzing.

Great info! I was kind of thinking that's what it was all about, but just wasn't sure. Helps hearing some clarity and confirmation on the subject. I'll definitely have it looked at asap. The Parlor seems to be the closest so I may check there first. I'm pretty sure it's my lack of experience and technique, but it seems like I should be getting a better sound from the Kentucky. I feel like the mando has good potential because every so often I seem to hit something just right and it rings out a really nice tone.
    Thank you all so much for the help!