Thread: Munier Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra - Illumination

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Munier Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra - Illumination

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Munier Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra - Illumination

The Munier Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra (MMGO) has announced the release of Illumination, their first recording in nearly 40 years.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

2. The following members say thank you to NewsFetcher for this post:

Default Re: Munier Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra - Illumination

My dad was a member of the Munier Mandolin Orchestra for some 30 years, he was also their oldest active member.
    He played the mandolin for some 90 plus years before passing away at 107.
    This is him playing the mandolin with the orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPaJ3qHrFzY
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Mar-24-2015 at 10:27am. Reason: correcting link to https

4. The following members say thank you to Gibson John for this post:

Thank you Gibson John. Your dad was an wonderful man and musician. We all miss him.

Thanks mlinkins for your kind words.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B6372DF8-2A5B-4EEA-B633-CA29548FC7BB.jpeg 
Views:	484 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	169135

Quick story: This afternoon my mother, who at 86 still runs the local library, gave me a call to tell me someone had dropped off several boxes of records and if I were interested I should check them out. Which I did, going through countless LPs from the late ‘50s to the ‘80s. Mostly K-Tel stuff, Reader’s Digest and such with some Jim Nabors and the like. One record in the lot caught my attention, the photo I’ve attached. Unopened, by the way. As a lark, I did a quick search & turned up several videos and a press release stating that they’ve just released their first album... in 40 years. Pretty cool. I won’t be able to cue it up for a few days, but I am looking forward to it!

Hi Swinguit,

That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting it. Especially amazing that it was unopened!

I am curious what town your mother found this in. If you wouldn't mind, please let us know.

Thanks,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Blog Entries

Cool story.

I see that you’re a Southern NJ guy too; I’m from Absecon. The orchestra is based in Philly, of course, not too far away, but the rest of the collection was quite unlike this LP. If I can burn it to CD would you like a copy?

Hi Swinguit,

I'm from the west side of SJ rather than the east side, but obviously that's not very far from you. I'm just outside Woodstown in beautiful Salem County.

I've heard this orchestra and am friends with a couple of its organizers. In fact, I plan to join when I leave my off-the-farm job in about 11 months! I have looked forward to doing so for years now. I'd love to have a CD copy, if it's possible. Thanks very much for offering.

Best wishes,

Bob

My wife is originally from Woodstown, beautiful area. It’s great that you’re going to join the orchestra, best of luck! It’s pretty neat how I came to be acquainted with the ensemble, really quite by accident. I love all kinds of mandolin family music, but I’m especially fond of mandocello. I’m not familiar with the PM function on the board, but if you send me your address I’ll send you a copy of the LP when I can. Take it easy...

13. The following members say thank you to Swinguit 57 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swinguit 57 View Post
    My wife is originally from Woodstown, beautiful area. It’s great that you’re going to join the orchestra, best of luck! It’s pretty neat how I came to be acquainted with the ensemble, really quite by accident. I love all kinds of mandolin family music, but I’m especially fond of mandocello. I’m not familiar with the PM function on the board, but if you send me your address I’ll send you a copy of the LP when I can. Take it easy...
    Small world. For those who might not know, Woodstown is a very small town, making this quite a coincidence.

I appreciate your willingness to share this with me. I'll send a PM right now. I'll also let the folks from the Munier Orchestra know about this interesting thread. Thanks again.

Wow, I haven't been on this site for sometime & just came across these old posts about the Munier Mandolin & Guitar Orchestra & some of my posts. I happen to see Swinguit post & was quite surprised to see that I not only have this album but my Dad is in the photo (second row). The orchestra was based out of Philadelphia & he was with them for some 30 plus years & was the oldest members who played the mandolin for some 90 plus years before passing away at 107.
    My Dad was 65 at the time this album was made he actually put an arrow next to his photo (Frank Semola)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Munier Orchestra Album.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	184529