Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

Default Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Luthiers have been building instruments in Paracho, Mexico, reportedly since the 1700's. Possibly could have made some mandolins...? I'm not sure that's what we're looking for as an "American mandolin manufacturer" -- we may be thinking only of the US -- but Mexico's surely in North America.
    i think most people here are only counting the usa, and only the incorporated states. no french or spanish need apply

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    i think most people here are only counting the usa, and only the incorporated states. no french or spanish need apply
    Actually given the fact that the original Spanish students were, well, from Spain and actually played bandurrias, I think Allen’s argument is strongly valid.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Actually given the fact that the original Spanish students were, well, from Spain and actually played bandurrias, I think Allen’s argument is strongly valid.
    Leaving out French and Spanish North America doesn't leave much behind

I've got a mandolin from Paracho and while most folks tend to pan these I find it to be a pretty dependable beater. A hand-dipped finish that is tougher what is on my car.

The tone may be a bit muddy but the intonation is dead on... which is not something I can say about any number of older mandolins I've had cross my path.

Nice little story on another product from Michoacan.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I found THE Mr. Seville. Once I've reconciled some of the 'conflicting' posts and suggested timelines, I will reveal him in all his amazing splendor. Indeed! Bohmann attracted the extraordinary. As Bruce Hammond stated, we may still be stuck with a limited range between 1882-1885. That said, Bohmann was ahead of Lyon & Healy if a date can be authenticated. Unfortunately dendrochonology can't be applied to wooden mandolins...or can it?

6. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

"...Oliver Ditson hired a young man named John C. Haynes and made him a partner in 1857..."

Interesting- I have a simple system one keyed flute labeled "JC Haynes Boston" estimated to be around same period. An "easy player" with good intonation and nice if softer sound, once the embouchure was redone by a pro. Actually I don't have it now- it is in Bhutan(!) with an anthropologist/conservationist friend for a year. Adding my thanks to all the historians and researchers providing the erudite information.
    Gan Ainm
    AKA Colin, Athens GA and Nelson Co. VA when I can

I finished reading El Norte by the way, a good read all in all. No mention of mandolins in it though sadly.

9. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

I'm very very close to publishing my definitive history on the first American-made mandolin. I'm excited with a sense of trepidation! I think it will help future scholars to continue in the search for the first mandolin in America and the first mandolinist to play it. Stay tuned! I don't mean to be teasing but I just finished my penultimate draft and I'm happy to say that I'm really, really close to publishing it. I will make it available here and will provide a link where it can be downloaded. Thanks for your support and I'd love to hear back from everyone about my investigation. Thanks!~

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I'm pleased to announce my investigation about the first American-made mandolin.
    Thanks to the enormous support from many friends and a tremendous amount of time and research, I'm ready to share it with the world. See attached PDF

And to think this all came from an obscure music circular that Joseph Bohmann issued in 1896. I look forward to hearing from you as to your thoughts.

Best to you all and Happy Halloween! Sheri
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First_American-Made Mandolin-FINAL-10.30.2019.pdf  

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I'm so sorry but I uploaded the wrong file...in my haste. Here's the final copy. as attached. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

see post #109 for correct final paper on Mr. Seville.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The_First_American-Made_Mandolin-FINAL.pdf  

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Curious if pfox was persuaded or not (about Seville)...