Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Default Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqke View Post
    Does anyone have any opinion as to how reliable Clarence Partee was? He claimed in 1902 to have handled Bohman's mandolin. It looks like that was 1883 or 1884, but that may be vague.

http://www.newspapers.com/clip/1966977//
    Partee was the owner and editor of The Cadenza from it's start in the mid 1890s until he sold it around 1906 or 08. He was also one of the instigators of the American Guild of Banjoists, Mandolinists and Guitarists which was the peak body for encouraging the playing of those instruments and trying to raise the standards of teaching. He also had a brief excursion into instrument manufacture with an odd bowlback mandolin he called the American Lute, based on a curious patent and featuring an asymmetrical body and off-set soundhole. He certainly would have been across most of what was happening in the BMG world in the US during his time as editor of The Cadenza, and does state he was in Chicago in the early 1880s, which would have been right at the beginning of the resurgence of interest in the mandolin when the mandolin playing community would have been pretty small.

Cheers

The article about Bohmann certainly has some weight given the fact that Clarence Partee wrote it. The problem is Bohmann never patented a mandolin design and as far as I know, there's no definitive proof that he started making mandolins in 1883. However, anything's possible.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

since there were English guitars in the time of ben franklin,(I have read a reference that franklin played one), if find it hard to believe there were no mandiolins in the Americas. I have a rough French guitarra allemange(the French cittern, or English guitar cousin) that dates to 1750/60. still being repaired. the French palyed mandolins, even if it can be argued that the english didn't.(which I would not argue). so I would be amazed if there were no early mandolins. however i'll have to ask around and do a little research.

my guitarra allemange came from davenport iowa. the french had a trading post and fort there around 1750. that's America now!!

these would have been luthier made instruments and not companies, but that would count, by me.

I knew there was a thread about mandolin in America's early days. You can read it here: Mandolin in colonial America.

That still does not mean that these instruments were made in America or give us much of a time line to figure out when ones were made here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ...That still does not mean that these instruments were made in America or give us much of a time line to figure out when ones were made here.
    And you will note from the cited article that the mandolinists mentioned were immigrants from Mediterranean countries, who presumably brought their mandolins with them -- though one could have commissioned a colonial luthier (I'm sure there were some) to build a "one-of" here for his use.

I did a little Google search for mentions of mandolins from the Civil War era (for one of those threads discussing whether and what kind of mandolins could be used at re-enactments). I found a couple of mentions of mandolin playing or players, but no discussion at all of anyone making them here.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

L&H claimed that they were the first US manufacturer of mandolins. I do not know if that claim is accurate, but L&H's own factory did not start its operations until around 1883/4. The first Washburn mandolin line was listed in the 1886 L&H catalog IIRC, and the first ad for these mandolins that I have found dates to 1887.

I e mailed a friend who has reseqarched French music in new france. he said there were references in letters to lutes made in quebec city . maisoneuve played one.(the early governor of montreal) and references to mandolin being widely played in france, and even the guitarra allemange being played in quebec, but no actual reference to mandolin. but I am going to keep looking. there was a full ensemble set of pre 1750 instruments found in the attic of a quebec convent a decade or so ago, i'll have to look and see what was there. I know there were viola d'amore cousins and lutes. if there was a mandolin it would likely have been gut strung, but not necessarily as they had wire strung guitarras. they used brass and iron strings.

also I saw a few sites saying mandolin was played in the civil war era, so were they all imported?
    mandolin might not yet have been common but I can't believe they weren't played

Apropos of the banjo mandolin exchange, I ran across this online:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farris_1.gif 
Views:	263 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	131783

Farris was in Hartford, CT.

9. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ollaimh View Post
    ...also I saw a few sites saying mandolin was played in the civil war era, so were they all imported?
    mandolin might not yet have been common but I can't believe they weren't played
    See Post #30 above; I found a couple of references to people playing mandolin around the Civil War, but no references to manufacturers.

That's not to say individual instruments weren't built in the US; there was no shortage of people making musical instruments, and if someone wanted a mandolin, he/she could contact a maker of violins, or guitars, and ask to have one built. When we speak of "manufacturers," we're generally thinking of a shop or factory producing them on a larger scale, and for sale generally -- not just a "one-of" for an individual who contracts for it. As with the discussion of lutes in French Canada, there's no reason to doubt that a craftsperson could have built a mandolin, or several, if there were musicians who would pay for them.

Later: with regard to John Farris and the banjolin, there's a brief discussion in the Wikipedia article on mandolin-banjos.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

I asked a few people, in the French early music world. they had a lot of references for mandolin in ancient regime france, but nothing they could remember specifically saying anyone played one in new france. they believed it was played in new france, which doesn't prove made there but it would be a start.

they had the guitarre allemange and the lute. maisoneuve played the lute(the early governor of montreal) and his diary has an entry of having a local wood worker make him one--a small tenor lute. not quite a mandolin.

i'll keep digging. and try to post pictures of my guitarre allemange

my previous post disappeared btw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1359.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	131822  

I haven't heard much about the Snedeker company though I briefly owned one of theirs. This is an 1895 article mentioning their factory move to Muncie, Indiana.

Name:	0mando-snedeker(EveningNews9-14-1895).jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	131823

wrong picture--as must be obvious. can't find the right guitarre pics in my confuser. sorry

good article jim, I suspected that mandolin was played in America before the revolution--or should I say the tax revolt.

this says little about local manufacturing. I do think there must have been some, now for the easter egg hunt!!

Was The CF Martin family making guitars and Mandolins in Europe , before Immigrating?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Was The CF Martin family making guitars and Mandolins in Europe , before Immigrating?
    Mike Longworth's quite authoritative Martin Guitars: A History (Colonial Press, 1980 rev. edition), states (page 1), "The Martin tradition of guitar making actually predates 1833 by quite a number of years. As early as 1807 there were references establishing Johann Georg Martin as a guitar maker. A few years later his son, Christian Frederick Martin...left the land of his birth forever to take up his craft in the new world of the USA." Martin came from a woodworking family in Markneukirchen, Saxony, Germany, and had apprenticed for 15 years to guitar-maker Johann Stauffer in Vienna, Austria. Reportedly, he emigrated to America after the instrument makers of Markneukirchen, to which he returned after apprenticeship, got in a dispute with the carpenters' guild over who should be building what.

Mandolins? No record of Martin or his descendants building a mandolin before the 1890's. Could a German guitar-maker, or violin builder, have made a mandolin for a musician who wanted one? Sure -- but we have no record of that. The mandolins from the 18th century, and earlier, are largely of Italian manufacture, with some French and Spanish "relatives," not Northern European.

We know that C F Martin, once established in the US, concentrated on building guitars, and that the company he founded didn't diversify into other instruments -- mandolins, ukuleles, etc. -- until the end of the 19th, and beginning of the 20th centuries. So the likelihood of Martin being the "first American mandolin manufacturer" is near-zero.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Vinaccia mandolins ca. time of the American Revolution. I don't think anyone was playing Rawhide. Yet.

Hard to prove a negative. Speculation about whether anyone was building in the early US or Canada will remain just that until something turns up. I hope it does, but count me among the Doubting Thomases until it does.

Mick

Name:	Vinnacia_Johannes-1769-Front.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	131899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vinaccia_Antonio-1772-front.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	131895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vinaccia_Antonio-1780-front.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	131896  

Name:	Vinaccia_Vincenzo-1769-Front+Back.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	131898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vinaccia_Giovanni-1779-Front.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	131897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vinaccia 1775-front.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	131894  

Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

The folks who have been trying to flog that first instrument in your pictures have been claiming it as a Vinaccia for years. It is almost certainly a oddly modified Genoese mandolin which the Vinaccias had nothing to do with.

It is interesting that people have been desperate for years to find evidence of pre-1880 American mandolins. There might well have been the occasional 18th century mandolin floating around the US or Canada, but it seems to be forgotten that for the first three quarters of the 19th century the mandolin was almost universally ignored, and there were few even in Europe.

Cheers

20. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    The folks who have been trying to flog that first instrument in your pictures have been claiming it as a Vinaccia for years. It is almost certainly a oddly modified Genoese mandolin which the Vinaccias had nothing to do with.
    Thanks, Graham. The provenance of these mandolins isn't of real importance to me, or probably to the conversation. If the dates are way off, that would be another thing. I just hoped to provide some examples in the context of the discussion going on about what mandolins from this era might have looked like--quite different from those in 1876 or 1976.

The article Jim links to has some interesting discussion of mandolin performances and teaching in 18th century America and is really worth the read.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

According to the Johnston/Boak book Martin Guitars: A Technical Reference, Martin began building bowl-back mandolins in 1895, and by 1899 they were selling two thirds as many mandolins as guitars.
    - Dave
    Paul Shippey 'Tone' (2016); Weber Gallatin A (2013); Andy Tobin (2006);
    Stefan Sobell (late '70s); Gibson A2 (1919)
    Bouzouki by Paul Hathway (1996); Martin D-35 (1980); Martin 0-18 (mostly 1950)

This isn't about manufacturing in America, but it is a reference to a mandolin in Philadelphia in 1885.

http://www.newspapers.com/clip/20616...phia_mandolin/

24. The following members say thank you to Jacqke for this post:

This isn't about manufacturing in America, but it is a reference to a mandolin in Philadelphia in 1885.

Typo? The posting you linked to says 1785.

This is fascinating, Jacqke, thanks for posting. Your link is going to slow down my productivity at work this morning.

The mandolin is for sale at a bookseller's shop right, next door to a coffee shop. The more things change the more they stay the same.

I also enjoy the ad below it for a load of Honduran mahogany. Probably not for mandolin production, but it gives some indication of the kinds of possible links / resources that fueled Nazareth, PA some time later.

Mick

Name:	Mandolin Ad-1785_Philadelphia.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	132186  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I remember my great grandfather having a beautiful L&H that he said he gotten as a young man in the 'Naughts. I remember it looking practically new. His greatest joys were playing it and polishing it. Great grandmother used to complain about how much he spent on strings. I wish I had known anything about anything when I was a kid because I am pretty sure that great grandmother sold it for $50 when he died in the early eighties.

It was a typo; I did mean 1785 for the year of that clipping. It was one of the only early mandolin mentions in early U.S. newspapers that I accessed. I wonder how anyone knew what an "excellent" mandolin meant.

bah to the sceptics. if they ben franklin played an English guitar(the English cittern) and maisoneuve played a guitarre allemange(the French cittern) those are mandolin family instruments. why don't they count. French sources say maisoneuve had some of his musical instruments made in quebec city, well before 1725.

i'll keep asking a francophone friends about mandolins. I read French but I am in a small city and may not be able to find old manuscripts. moreover music isn't much researched by French Canadian historians. i'm intrigued, so i'm going over to the university de Moncton and ask at the music department. when I get the chance. I expect the real researchers are only in montreal but i'll give it a shot.(there's a big early music scene in montreal)