Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swannanoa Gathering - Mando, Banjo, Fiddle Week

Default Swannanoa Gathering - Mando, Banjo, Fiddle Week

Who's going to the 2015 Swannanoa Gathering?

I've just made my class selections for the Swannanoa Gathering's Mandolin and Banjo Week (held concurrently with Fiddle Week), August 2-8 at Warren Wilson College near Asheville, NC. This was for pre-registered participants, but general registration will open to all on March 11. The public website will be updated in about a week to show the 2015 offerings.

My primary interest is swing music on the mandolin, but bluegrass, old time and classical and Celtic are represented, as well.

Great instructors:

Mandolin: Mike Marshall, Joe Walsh, Don Stiernberg, Jesse Cobb, Matt Flinner, Caterina Lichtenberg

Banjo: Alison Brown, Bill Evans, Alan Munde, Mark Johnson, Bob Carlin,

Fiddle: Darel Anger, Michael Doucet, Joe Craven, Evan Price (Hot Club of San Francisco), Casey Driessen, and many others. Cello and bass instruction, too.

Guitar instruction is also available from Greg Ruby (Hot Club of San Francisco - Swing), David Surette (Celtic accompaniment) and Ed Dodson (Bluegrass accompaniment).

Luthier-in-residence: Lynn Dudenbostel
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

Default Re: Swannanoa Gathering - Mando, Banjo, Fiddle Week

Matt Flinners class last year was a blast and Mike Marshall got you doing things you never thought you'd enjoy.

3. The following members say thank you to Tony Pearce for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gallaher View Post
    Who's going to the 2015 Swannanoa Gathering?

I've just made my class selections for the Swannanoa Gathering's Mandolin and Banjo Week (held concurrently with Fiddle Week), August 2-8 at Warren Wilson College near Asheville, NC. This was for pre-registered participants, but general registration will open to all on March 11. The public website will be updated in about a week to show the 2015 offerings.

My primary interest is swing music on the mandolin, but bluegrass, old time and classical and Celtic are represented, as well.

Great instructors:

Mandolin: Mike Marshall, Joe Walsh, Don Stiernberg, Jesse Cobb, Matt Flinner, Caterina Lichtenberg

Banjo: Alison Brown, Bill Evans, Alan Munde, Mark Johnson, Bob Carlin,

Fiddle: Darel Anger, Michael Doucet, Joe Craven, Evan Price (Hot Club of San Francisco), Casey Driessen, and many others. Cello and bass instruction, too.

Guitar instruction is also available from Greg Ruby (Hot Club of San Francisco - Swing), David Surette (Celtic accompaniment) and Ed Dodson (Bluegrass accompaniment).

Luthier-in-residence: Lynn Dudenbostel
    I was looking at that yesterday -- wondering do the classes usually fill up pretty quickly?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I'm going. The pre-registration info states that most classes have a limit of 15 students and the more popular classes tend to fill quickly. Some get filled just from those who have pre-registered. I was able to get a rhythm/groove class from Mike Marshall, a classical class from Caterina Lichtenberg, and an old time/fiddle tune class as well.

I am also going. Never been to such an event before.
    Was pre-registered and registered for 3 classes per day on Saturday.
    I plan to pull my travel trailer down and stay in a nearby campground. I have stayed in too many communal accommodations in my life.... and have a super mattress in my trailer.
    I should still be able to hang around late at night and jam, I hope.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Hacker View Post
    I am also going. Never been to such an event before.
    Was pre-registered and registered for 3 classes per day on Saturday.
    I plan to pull my travel trailer down and stay in a nearby campground. I have stayed in too many communal accommodations in my life.... and have a super mattress in my trailer.
    I should still be able to hang around late at night and jam, I hope.
    What campground did you find? If I go I'll drive our motor home -- I would like to find a campground with full hook up if possible although we can easily dry camp for a week if we need too.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie, would be fun to meet you there after our virtual encounters.
    They list Mama Gertie's and a KOA, both less than 10 minutes away.
    I have not been there, maybe others can comment.

FWIW - My brother and his family have stayed at Mama Gertie's and really liked it.

I'm going this year-- my first time at Swannanoa. Pre-registered and have the classes already.

I had a great time there last year and plan on being there again this summer. I really like how the classes are formatted over any of the other workshops I've been to. Stellar lineup of teachers, great jamming and concerts, beautiful campus and a sampling of virtualy every genre of music for every mandolin picker's taste. Lynn Dudenbostel will be there doing an assortment of setups and repairs and Tom Ellis is going to be there with I assume an assortment of his fine work for sampling. It is a good idea to register as early as possible because some classes will fill quickly but they do keep a waiting list for the filled classes and there's generally some shuffling around of choices after the first day.
    Last edited by Gary Alter; Mar-12-2015 at 1:39am.

Blog Entries

I have gone to the Swannanoa Old Time week a few times and learned a lot and had an awesome time. The facilities are great.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

I have stayed at both Mama Gerties and the KOA. I prefer the KOA because its flat. Gerties is good too though. We had some jams last year at the campsite. Will again this year.
    We few, we happy few.

I'll be there. This will be my first time to attend. I'm staying in the dorm. I'm second on the waiting list for Joe Walsh's Intermediate class but if I don't make that one I'm in Bluegrass Guitar, Swing Guitar, Celtic Mandolin and Celtic Guitar. We're driving from east Texas and will arrive on Sunday.

See you there Jon. Bring a fan. Some of the rooms aren't air-conditioned.
    We few, we happy few.

16. The following members say thank you to John Ritchhart for this post:

Those of you RVing, which campground will I be more likely to find you in? Gertie's or KOA. Guess I need to make a reservation soon.

I'll be in the KOA. Site B2 or 3 I forget. They have a pavilion that we can jam in. Some friends of mine drop in just for the jam. See you there.
    We few, we happy few.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to fiddle workshops with Alex Hargreaves and Brian Christianson and a morning get together with the inimitable Mike Marshall and his ideas on melody. See you all soon... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I'm in. And there's even an 80% chance I can actually go. I didnt get my top choices for classes, but I'll likely learn a bunch just by taking the week off to play with others.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Making my final preparations for leaving on Sunday, July 2nd. I have about a 5-hour drive to Warren Wilson College.

Don Stiernberg has given me permission to videotape his class (can't post to Youtube, give him a copy). It may not be worth the hassle, but I'll give it a shot. I have a Canon camcorder and an external mic ready.

See you there! I'll wear a Mandolin Cafe ball cap for identification d

I'm driving down from Bloomington, Indiana on Sunday. No particular distinguishing features other than being pretty tall with (some remaining) silver hair. I had a great time three years ago and have high hopes for another fun week.

Geoffrey

After being wait listed all this time, I just got "in the groove" ! So I'm happy to have at least 1 class with MM.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Back from Swannanoa! I had instructors Mike Marshall, Joe Walsh and Don Stiernberg for a track that was heavy on chord theory and jazz/swing.

Joe was my favorite instructor, with Don a close second. Mike is a great guy, but I found his classes less structured and more apt to wander.

The overall camp experience was very positive and supportive -- a good "family of musicians" vibe. A broad range of ages attended, including lots of intermediate, advanced and pro-level players (especially those teens!). Had a ball watching and participating at the "camp bands" showcase on Friday evening. Lots of talent on display!

The three night concerts featuring the instructors were amazing, especially the third and last night that featured bluegrass, swing and Gypsy Jazz. Violin instructor (Hot Club of San Francisco) Evan Price playing Django's "Improvisation #2" in Joe Venuti's "slack bow" style was incredible.

I hope they add a course for mandolin next year that explores the Gypsy Jazz standard repertoire. I should have my chord theory down cold by then!

I was there as well. My instructors were Jesse Cobb, Joe Craven and David Surette. They presented enough material to keep me studying for a year. I had a great experience, meeting a lot of new people and making a lot of music.

The Nacodoches contingent! I enjoyed your performance at the Friday Night band showcase. I hope my band's "Panhandle Rag" didn't make some real Texans cringe!

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Gallaher for this post:

Thanks for the encouragement. The "Panhandle Rag" was great! No cringing in our camp. I was hoping a Bob Dylan song didn't cause any cringing in the audience but it was dedicated to David Surette so I didn't care.