Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: String journey on a Collings MT

Default Re: String journey on a Collings MT

I have only ever used J74’s on my MT. I have, however, noticed a big sound difference with different picks. I get a nice dark woofy tone with a Proplec.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds

The J74s and the flatwound 74s (and all other standard medium strings) are just too heavy for me. I like the lighter feel of med-lights. My mandolin has low action and is set up well, but it’s too hard for me to do closed position chords and play comfortably with true mediums. Odd because I use mediums on my acoustic guitar and sometimes 11s on my electric. YMMV.
    Last edited by Caleb; Aug-31-2019 at 4:57pm.

3. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    The La Bella 880Ms have settled in and are some of the best strings I've tried so far. Excellent tone, volume, and playability. Not sure how long they will hold up - hopefully for a good while since they cost a bit more than the strings I normally buy. I'm impressed! Not sure why I don't see more about La Bella here.
    Hi Caleb, Glad you keep reviving this discussion. I have an MT to this day, although it is my second, and I no longer have the original one. I have used Monels and found them very satisfactory. A tiny bit less bell-chime from the bronze, but a rich full tone is present with them on the MT. They stay fresh longer and it feels traditional when you are playing these old shiny steel strings. They are a great match and I was relieved at how they sounded warm and not like an electric guitar string. Now, I did go back to the chime of the J74's and am happy with those. It gives my MT a great warm, rich sound with a modern flavor. I can get plenty of chop when I need it! Now, I would really like to try your La Bella 880M's! I hadn't talked to anyone who had tried those and I would like to experience the tone and feel you are speaking of. May need to raise the bridge a tiny bit on the low end, possibly?
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

5. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Caleb 

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Hi Caleb, Glad you keep reviving this discussion. I have an MT to this day, although it is my second, and I no longer have the original one. I have used Monels and found them very satisfactory. A tiny bit less bell-chime from the bronze, but a rich full tone is present with them on the MT. They stay fresh longer and it feels traditional when you are playing these old shiny steel strings. They are a great match and I was relieved at how they sounded warm and not like an electric guitar string. Now, I did go back to the chime of the J74's and am happy with those. It gives my MT a great warm, rich sound with a modern flavor. I can get plenty of chop when I need it! Now, I would really like to try your La Bella 880M's! I hadn't talked to anyone who had tried those and I would like to experience the tone and feel you are speaking of. May need to raise the bridge a tiny bit on the low end, possibly?
    Glad this thread has been beneficial. It’s been fun trying new things. Have still not tried any monels, mainly because they will probably be the same tension as most strings, and tension is the primary thing I like or dislike about most strings. It was the same on my old Eastman too: after a while I wanted a lighter feel but still a full sound. The GHS Osbornes and the La Bellas have been the best in this regard. I’ve tried “lights” and will like them at first, but they end up being too slinky and clangy. True mediums sound great, but trip me up when I do a Bm, Am chord etc. Great for playing single notes and tunes though.

I play guitar a lot too and have come to the conclusion that mandolins are just harder to play, much less forgiving, and much more susceptible to nuance.

I’m not sure how your MT is set up, but I doubt you’d need to make a bridge adjustment for the La Bellas. I think you’d really like their feel and sound though. They do cost about twice what a set of EJ74s or GHS cost though. Not sure why that is. And they are harder to find. I get mine from Strings By Mail.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Caleb, you might try the GHS pure nickel strings. I love them on my mandolin, not a Collings, but have them on a couple and like them alot. They come in two gauges, the lighter on may be what you are looking for.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info and ideas, Caleb and Pops1!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

11. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Caleb 

Thumbs up Re: String journey on a Collings MT

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Caleb, you might try the GHS pure nickel strings. I love them on my mandolin, not a Collings, but have them on a couple and like them alot. They come in two gauges, the lighter on may be what you are looking for.
    This is a great suggestion: thank you! Their 10 1/2 gauge has my interest for sure. Not sure how I missed these all this time.

Have you tried Elixir Nanoweb? They come in medium and light. I don't know what it is but the mediums feel lighter that other medium strings to me? They sound good and last a long time. I have a friend that likes them on his MT.

14. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    Have you tried Elixir Nanoweb? They come in medium and light. I don't know what it is but the mediums feel lighter that other medium strings to me? They sound good and last a long time. I have a friend that likes them on his MT.
    Yes, tried Elixirs in mediums. Great strings. Still a tad too much tension for me though.

16. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

thanks Caleb, also for this thread, and keeping it current.
    like you, I tend to end up putting light gauge on most all my mandolins. They are all set up very well, fret heights, neck almost flat, very little relief and a low bridge height. I just prefer a light easy feel when playing. I do like the J74's and J73's on my current MT. I want to try the Labella 880 and pops1 suggestion of the GHS pure nickel(I like the pure nickel on guitar).

d

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

I took off the EFW74s today. Never could warm up to the feel or sound, and I pretty much disliked everything about them. The experience was so unpleasant that I really can't see dropping the $50+ for Thomastiks to see if I like them any better.

I put back on a set of La Bella M880s and all is well in the world again. At this point the only other strings that really have my curiosity are the GHS nickel in 10.5 gauge. Maybe at some point in the future I'll give those a shot.

FYI if you're interesting in trying the La Bellas: they come in heavier and a more standard med gauge; I just happen to prefer the feel and response of the med-lights.

I've played the Labella 770M and 880L on my F5L, trying to copy David McLaughlin. My hands tended to kill the sound a little too quickly for me but I sure love his playing with those strings.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I keep experimenting with various strings but I keep going back to GHS A270's !

All right, a bump of this thread to show some new findings...

I've been using the La Bella 880M strings for a good while and love them. I ended up with a set of Sonny Osborne GHS med-lights recently (this is a set I used to regularly use) and they were too light for my taste now. I also ended up with a set of Dean Markley "regular" gauge strings, which I'd never tried before. They are only a tad heavier than the La Bellas but less heavy than J74s (et al). I like them a lot. I got a nice volume boost with these DMs - my mandolin, which is already loud, seems super loud now. We shall see how long they last...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	193002  

Caleb, did you ever try the nickel?

My Collings MT string journey stopped at Thomastik infeld.

25. The following members say thank you to maplebaby for this post:

DougC 

Quote Originally Posted by Medley12 View Post
    Caleb, did you ever try the nickel?
    I have not tried those yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
    My Collings MT string journey stopped at Thomastik infeld.
    I came close to buying a set of the heavies and still might at some point. What is it that you like about them so much on your Collings?

I took off the Dean Markleys. They never really settled down and sounded quite “wirey” the whole time. I also think they pretty old since two of the strings had visible tarnish on them right out of the package. No real harm done.

Enter the Martin Monels. I’ve been wanting to try these for a while. They feel GREAT under the fingers and are not harsh at all like so many bronze strings are. I’m curious to see how long they last.