Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: improv challenge?

Default Re: improv challenge?

OR even better, that I think you guys are looking for is something on another site that I have stumbled upon and really enjoy it. However, i need better recording equipment. Since I enjoy writing new songs, experimenting and trying to learn how to solo and improv, wikiloops is pretty much the answer. There are tons of backing tracks and the point is, users can upload an idea or a track and other musicians from around the globe can chime in and add their their track to yours and so on. This is the coolest part. People are using audacity or what ever software you have, to record their tracks on top of yours.

Check out my attempt and feel free to poke around the site and provide your feedback.
    http://www.wikiloops.com/artist/lbracale.php
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Here is the intro to Wikiloops (i have no financial interest)
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

dis anyone against using minor swing to start? Its a simple progression, you can pretty much use the Am/C scales and arpps through the whole thing.

I was thinking something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InWdt--rzvc

or this one is a tad faster i think, i like it because it has an Amaj7 chord substite everyonce in awhile which you can ignore or use it to make things more interesting. I dont have my mandolin with me so its hard to judge if its too fast or not, but the first one seems do-able https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aPzit3M5xo

if no one has any objections to the song or the speed i can just go ahead put the group up and list this as our first tune.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

The group has been created

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=297

waiting to see if anyone likes or dislikes the idea of minor swing for the first song

My 2p on Minor Swing:
    Pros: It's Minor Swing. What's not to like? It's amazing. Stephane Wrembel's backing track is the best.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aPzit3M5xo

Stephane also has LOTS of other superb backing tracks on his site, http://stephanewrembel.com/lessons/

Cons: It's a deceptively simple song. There's the intro hook and the outro, and other than that, it doesn't have a set melody. So that might be a bit daunting for a lot of folks. A good solo for Minor Swing is not just improv for 8 bars, it's an actual composition exercise.

6. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

That first BT of Minor swing would be okay if the changes on the screen were the actual changes being played.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Then theres also this bb track i found on flatpick apprentice. Its 180bpm. too fast?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0180%20bpm.mp3

We could also do a poll to pick the song like the song a week group does. I would like to have our first track up by tomorrow then we could pick a new one every other friday from then on

9. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

The BB track at that site has a different B part than normal. It goes GCDG at the end, instead of the usual CGDG.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broyles View Post
    The BB track at that site has a different B part than normal. It goes GCDG at the end, instead of the usual CGDG.
    I guess you mean at the www.fbbts.com site. That is true. Not the one LongBlackVeil just posted though.

I'm going to go ahead and post the one I linked to. It's about the right length, it's simple and it seems like a reasonable enough speed and it will get us started.

it looks like we have a lot of folks interested, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I guess you mean at the www.fbbts.com site. That is true. Not the one LongBlackVeil just posted though.
    Yes, I referred to the site linked further upthread.

Never too early to think about the next song. I'm trying to find a good waltz or something like that would work for the next one, but If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

I may end up getting band in a box myself, I've been wanting it for awhile

I'd be up for a good waltz. Midnight On the Water is beautiful.
    If anyone wants to take a Bossa Nova plunge at some point, Agua De Beber would be fun to try.

16. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Or if anyone wants to get really out there... Mack the Knife. :-)
    Part Music Theory, part Musical Chairs.
    (This is not a serious recommendation for the challenge, but it is fun to play around with.)

SpiffingTunes has these awesome lead sheets/backing tracks. Nice because it tracks the notation along with the backing track, which can be hard to follow for some of the slower jazz numbers until you really get the chord changes in your bones.

18. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

tree 

That rocks, Marty - thanks! I need to search and see if they have something nice and slow like I Always Get Lucky With You . . .
    Clark Beavans