Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: violin strings question ?

Default violin strings question ?

Do synthetic gut strings sound warmer than steel strings on a violin.
    I am new to this and got steel strings, wonder if I should put synthetic gut strings instead.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: violin strings question ?

Yes the synthetic string produces a warmer tone on the A D and G strings ...... the E is not a synthetic fiber string..... if you are having new to fiddle concerns check out http://FiddleHangout.com as fiddle issues are the prime topic of conversation .... squalling E strings on a fiddle are nothing new as can have technique as well as equipment fixes ... Luck ....R/
    PS .... A pick is not a bow .... keep saying that to yourself ....
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

My mother used real gut strings but that was 4 decades ago. I think she got them from either Italy or Germany
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

The synthetics do have a warmer sound. I personally can't stand the sound of metal strings, they do have their place in some types of music. Dominants are the standard but Tonicas are also pretty good.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

I don't think the OP wants real gut, he wants synthetic. I was using either Dominants or Pirastro Aricore strings on my fiddles, but recently tried T-I Vision strings and they sounded quite nice and is what I am using these days.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Unless you play baroque music and have a fiddle that is set up for real gut strings, and you have a ton of money, gut strings are not a consideration. There is some mystique about the sound of gut strings that string companies push as a sales pitch for synthetic e.g. nylon or perlon or similar 'secret' recipe material. There are incredible strings out there and there are some really bad cheap strings, usually metallic e.g. steel, nickel or whatever. So if they are cheap, less than $20 a set, stay away.
    Helicore strings are very popular for a reason. And Jim has excellent taste in the Thomastic Vision strings. Look no further and work on that bow arm. Ha, ha.

10. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Jacob 

I also like the Vision line of strings. I like the sound of helicores but I don't like the way they feel under finger, but they are very popular. String choice is pretty much trial and error but the big manufactures will also offer some guidance if asked.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

12. The following members say thank you to nickster60 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Helicore strings are very popular for a reason.
    Helicores are a steel core sting, although a very good one (just mentioning). I have been using D'Addario's new Kaplan "Amo" strings and I like 'em a lot.

14. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

I use Sensicore strings. Same company that makes Red Label, but the sensicore are perlon core. They sound and feel the same as Dominants.
    (Red Label have a nylon core option for D and G strings now: Red Label Pearl. I'll need to look at those.)

I'd suggest using the strings you have, at least while they're new. If you can coax a good sound out of metal strings, you're getting good! Some great fiddle players use metal strings.

(And once you try synthetic core strings, you may never want to go back to metal. Expensive step to take...)

Blog Entries

There are many great violin strings out there. But they all cost more than $20. If you want to sound good, get good strings. The rest is up to your amazing talent.

I buy all of my violin strings from Shar. They have excellent prices and free shipping. They also have a very useful article about the qualities and properties of various violin strings. Here is the enlarged version of their string chart:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Violin-Viola-String-Chart.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	130882
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the info, especially the link from Jim G.
    I plan to play gospel music (mostly soft songs) and like to have warmer sound, the steel strings have to much treble in them.

Would this string sets fit my preference ?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomastik-Do...item3385a3f178

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    Would this string sets fit my preference ?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomastik-Do...item3385a3f178
    Dominants are considered the "benchmark" for contemporary synthetic-core strings. They are good quality strings -- not cheap, of course -- but many of the preferred violin strings are imported. That eBay seller does have good prices.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Synthetic strings will give you a warmer sound (steel strings help cut through the mix so the instrument can be heard). I like Corelli Alliance Vivace strings - but you really have to match strings to the instrument. Some will do better than others (and it can be a life time experiment). On my 'country' fiddle, I use Helicore's.
    Sheryl --- Me

but you really have to match strings to the instrument. Some will do better than others (and it can be a life time experiment
    This sounds very much like ukulele strings.
    I will go for the Dominant synthetic core strings to get warmer sound. The volume may be lower but I do not worry much about this for now. If I need volume for a large crowd, a mic will do. I try that at home and it's much louder thru the mic (with current steel strings).

I just ordered one set from the eBay link above.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Unless you play baroque music and have a fiddle that is set up for real gut strings, and you have a ton of money, gut strings are not a consideration.
    Depends on what you are talking about; there are real gut wound strings (with metal windings from silver, titanium, aluminum and various alloys thereof) and then there are real plain gut strings. The latter are baroque strings, but the former type are readily available and still preferred by some players every day for modern instruments; I used to use Pirastro Olives on my viola until I moved to Florida, where they are unfortunately quite short-lived due to the humidity compared with synthetic wound strings. But I have a friend who still uses wound gut strings here. Personally I hated Dominants back when they were about the only synthetic type to be easily found (I still hate them, as they make my instruments sound harsh), and I'm glad there are so many alternative choices nowadays. But they can get expensive. Makes Thomastik mandolin strings seem cheap by comparison. Haha!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

26. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Blog Entries

Here is another great source for string information. Quinn Violins

http://quinnviolins.com/qv_stringtech.shtml

I did say 'real' gut strings. But yes, the wound gut strings should be explained. So what is on that viola now Bratche?
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Thomastic has come out with a new string called Spirit. We have been getting request's from local teachers to stock these are they are quite a bit cheaper then the Dominants.

http://www.violinstringreview.com/sp...otlight-review
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thomastic has come out with a new string called Spirit. We have been getting request's from local teachers to stock these are they are quite a bit cheaper then the Dominants.
    I already ordered one set of Dominant strings costing me about 40$ before seeing the post about Spirit strings (35$, 5$ cheaper).

That is a very good price for a set of Dominants. I think you will like them.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I received the Dominant strings yesterday, install them on my violin and it does sound much much better, warmer and no metallic sound except the E string still a steel string. I am very please to pay 40$ for it, even 50$ if I had to.

Don't we wish there are mandolin string sets that greatly improve the sound of the mandolin like these Dominant strings on a violin ?

Oh dear

I used gut for many, many years, but now, due to my humid climant I much prefer synthetic. My violin prefers the Vision Solo with the titanim e. Yes, expensive but man do they stay in tune once broken in. I use Dominants on my other violin as it has a much sweeter voice and the Vision are just too much for it. Evah Pirrazhi (sp?) are lovely, but very pricey and the tone flattens much too quickly for me. I do not and never have liked steel core strings, but for my style of play they are just not appropriate. Try a bunch to see what you and your violin like. It's really the only way to know.

I am a beginner in violin, the steel strings sound bother my ears a lot, and the Dominant is more than good for encourage my practice.
    I just cannot afford to try various brands of strings as on mandolins or guitars due to their cost. 40$ to 50$ per set instead of Martin guitar strings that cost 25$ for 12 sets (black Friday purchase) !!!