Thread: Playing Seventh Chords Cleanly

Default Playing Seventh Chords Cleanly

Hi Gang,

If I'm playing BG I tend to use 5-4-5-x (D); 7-6-7-x (E), etc for my 7ths if I'm chopping. The angle always feels funky and I really don't like this chord.

What are your favorite sevenths for clean, pleasing, rhythm playing?

Perhaps my wrist/finger angle is just off but I can play a lot of weird chords and 7ths always bother me...On guitar they sound rich and diverse but I tend to play triads or fifth variations with mandolin because I just don't like the tone of the 7ths I'm playing.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Default Re: Playing Seventh Chords Cleanly

2 chord shapes I use a lot for chopping are 5576 (C7) and 7587 (G7). They can both be moved up and down the neck for whatever 7th chord you need. It took me forever to be able to use the 2nd shape, but I find it handy. bb

3. The following members say thank you to bohemianbiker for this post:

I play a D7 as 2-4-3-5, slide up and down the neck as needed.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

5. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

These shapes (with E dom7 as example):

1-open-2-open
    4-2-5-4
    4-6-5-7
    7-6-5-4
    7-6-7-7
    7-9-11-12

among others. It all depends on what I had for breakfast.

All of the shapes listed have value. I use the three note shape (5-4-5-x) a lot, don't know what you don't like about it. The biggest difference between the shapes is where the 7th is. In 5-4-5-x, the seventh is the lowest note, which makes the 7th more subtle and "chunkier". The 5-5-7-6 puts the 7th as the highest note, which makes it more prominent and brighter. Often the shape determiner is the position of the chord before or after. Because of the "need" for the 7th to resolve, voice leading can be more important than with other chords. Sometimes I just try to keep the chords in the same few frets as the surrounding chords.

Resolving 4-2-5-4 (E7) to 2-2-4-5 (A) lets the tritone (the highest 2 strings) resolve the smoothest way.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Because of the "need" for the 7th to resolve, voice leading can be more important than with other chords.
    I make no claim to being a Bluegrass expert, but other than the rhythm, isn't voice leading what chord playing is all about?

I use diminished triads interchangeably with dominant chords, e.g. for a D7 use the F#-A-C triad. The bass and guitar are getting the roots for you anyway, and the voice leadings tend to lay out well. I am not a huge fan of four-note mandolin chords because the E string makes them so bright.

10. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkwood View Post
    I play a D7 as 2-4-3-5, slide up and down the neck as needed.
    I do the same, but omit the high duplicated fifth on the e string. I almost always use 3 note voicings.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you don't mind a little transposing, try 3-note chords with Four inversions of the same V7 chord.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you really want to get fancy, learn to play 7th chords up the neck with a "filler chord" between each inversion. You could play these all night for blues:

Download: Two Page PDF
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    If you really want to get fancy, learn to play 7th chords up the neck with a "filler chord" between each inversion. You could play these all night for blues:

Download: Two Page PDF
    BINGO! Thanks!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Blog Entries

I have a less precise style. I don't bother trying to get every note of the chord in - especially if the chord is just passing through. I often do stuff that gives the 7th note, and another note - i.e. imply the chord and move on.

Landing chords, endings of phrases and such, I get the whole chord, but 7ths are often used to move along, and so I do what ever makes moving along easier.

Nobody has ever noticed.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I make no claim to being a Bluegrass expert, but other than the rhythm, isn't voice leading what chord playing is all about?
    "Voice leading" has nothing in particular to do with Bluegrass. "Voice leading" means the way a particular note (voice) in a chord moves to a corresponding particular note in the next chord. For example: the leading tone (the 3rd in a dominant chord) wants to resolve to the tonic. If the leading tone jumps to a tonic in a different octave, that is not very smooth voice leading.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

This is rad. Thanks!

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

The 7th inversions that is.

The "moving through" that Ted shared is cool--Bingo indeed!

Of the various shapes for dominant seventh chords, I find the ones I use most are the triangle shaped with the seventh in the bass(lowest note)as in your 5-4-5 D7 and 7-6-7 E7.

Next most used is the one with the third of the chord as the lowest, say 4-3-5 for G7

An easy and fun changing exercise is to work down the neck alternating those two shapes. For example 7-6-7 E7 to 6-5-7 A7 to 5-4-5 D7- G major as in Salty Dog or Don't Let the Deal Go Down..

Next try going up to the octave..A7 on fret twelve. Do the alternating shape thing all the way down, naming each chord as you hit it. Cyclical dominants. Circle of fifths. Around the horn. Turnaround. Call it what you will, it's in a gazillion tunes.

If you flatten your third finger across the E string on the triangle shape that adds the fifth of the chord. If you do that on the third-in-the-bass shape you add the ninth, perhaps too colorful for bluegrass, perhaps not...

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Saint Donnie and Pope Ted have spoken........ Learn thy 7th's that Ye may move them around leading the melody. Play ten II IV I changes and say two Hail Jethro's ....... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I use the alternating pattern that Don explains on Jethro Burns' "Flaky". It's a great tune made up of almost all circle of fifths.