Thread: Punch Brother's Familiarity

Default Punch Brother's Familiarity

Is Chris just playing some arpeggios in the intro?

Muchos gracias fellow pickers...

Any insights much appreciated. Do you find his Bach studies have made their way into all of his playing with Punch post-Bach?
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

2. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Default Re: Punch Brother's Familiarity

Sounds like it.... sounds like 3 or 4 notes, so he might be hitting the 7b too. I haven't tried to play it yet, so just guessing based on what I hear.

I do think that a lot of the classical stuff he's done has made it in to his everyday playing. I think it's making him a stronger player for the type of stuff he's doing with Punch Brothers (experimental rock a la Radiohead) but it's hurting his straight bluegrass playing. Not that he isn't amazing at that too - I just feel he's fallen slight from where he used to be.

Some of that early stuff he was doing blew my mind. I still enjoy his playing immensely.

I wish he'd write another album in the style of Not All Who Wander, or the instrumentals from his early period like Jessamyn's Reel.

Regardless, it's all good so it's entertaining seeing where he goes.
    Last edited by 9lbShellhamer; Feb-15-2015 at 4:09pm.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

All you'd have to do is ask him nicely .... chris, can you play that tune straight up, once.... and he could blow you away with a note for note rendition, of Grisman, Monroe, McReynolds... I have heard him try and sound like a particular player, and you hardly could tell if it was real or Memorex....

the idea that he as "falllen slight" is an amusing thought..... maybe not playin to a particular person's taste, is a lot different than "fallen".... lol
    John D

...and it's worth remembering that CT was playing and studying Bach closely for many years before going into the studio to record. His deep dive into 'classical' goes back well before the P-Bros were formed.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Fallen slightly in the bluegrass vein doesn't mean he's still not amazing - just personally, I like his older bluegrass stuff for that style. I love his playing now too, it's just very different IMO and I haven't heard him play many straight bluegrass tunes similar to Adam Steffy. Not trying to equate those two either - both are amazing in different ways. Just an opinion.