Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picks making my mandolin sound dead (muted)

Default Picks making my mandolin sound dead (muted)

I've got a J. Bovier F5-T and I've been trying out some new picks lately. My usual picks -the Wegen 140 and Fender Heavy are sounding the best (loudest), but I was really disappointed when it came time to try the highly acclaimed Dunlop Primetone 1.4 rounded triangles and the Pro Plec 1.5s. Those two picks made my mandolin sound almost muted and dead. I was really surprised that they would make my mandolin sound terrible when so many people like them. I'm using EXP74 strings right now on the J. Bovier. Anyways, it's amazing how much better my mandolin sounds with the Wegen 140 picks compared to the Primetones and Pro Plecs.. Anybody else have an experience like this?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Re: Picks making my mandolin sound dead (muted)

It sounds to me like you have a preference for pointed tips and speed bevels, which might help inform your subsequent pick purchases. I don't think that there's anything inherently "better" about them, or "terrible" about the alternatives, only the individual tone that you are trying to achieve.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I totally agree, bbaker... I think those Pro Plecs, Dawg picks, rounded primetones make a mandolin sound like it's stuffed with socks.
    I don't understand why people use 'em, but it's a free country and some people love them.
    Might want to try a WEGEN TF100B PICK from Elderly (or a slightly thicker version)... Or a bluechip TAD 40, my personal favorite. You and I seem to have same "taste" in picks...

I have some primetone triangles with pointed ends... They are quite nice....

I haven't tried a Wegen yet, but I do love my PaPa's ivoroid pick in 2.2mm thickness.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I often have tried other picks due to recommendations and found that I've just stumbled into somebody else's taste. I have learned to judge a pick by its look first: if it would not make a good arrowhead, it's not going to make my favourite sound.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

The tone that you're trying to achieve, the particular instrument you're playing, the height and angle you hold it at while playing, your choice of strings, your pick grip, angle and right hand technique... etc. are all important details that contribute to the equation, and are reasons why different people prefer different picks.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I like pointed picks. Take the Pro Plec 1.5 for example. You can get them in large triangle, standard teardrop, or very small teardrop. The larger they are, the more rounded the point and it makes a noticable difference in tone even when talking about the same pick material and thickness. I do not like the large triangle tone, the regular teardrop is OK, but I do like the small teardrop. To take it further, I only like these picks on bright sounding mandolins - great with my Poe Scout. On darker sounding mandolins, they sound very dull and muted to my ears. If I need to brighten up, I go thin and even more pointy - Pickboy "mandolin" .75mm or BC TD35. If I could have just one pick, it would be the Wegen Bluegrass 1mm pick - it sounds pretty good on everything to my ear.
    -Jim

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I just got some primetone picks , but mine are regular not rounded, i have been trying a lot of picks in the last few months, i have some Dawg picks , at first. I didn't like the sound, they take the treble out , but the last few times i have liked them better, which i would have never thought to happen. But i still don't use rounded picks much , and i use .96 or 1.0 , any thicker and don't like them much, but i have been using a Dunlop derlin .96 on guitar for the past 15 years atleast, could be why i don't like thicker picks
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I've got a J. Bovier F5-T
    1) I Dont .. My bright er Mandolins: Aluminum top of bridge on 1922 A

And Nickel wound strings on a Hodson D'Jangolin .

Maybe the thicker Top of the Instrument you got is just not so resonant. ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

don't rule out the V-PICKS, I have several and they are really loud on my mandolins. and bbaker they are made right up the road from you in nashville. good luck

Blog Entries

Glad you found what works for you, and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    The tone that you're trying to achieve, the particular instrument you're playing, the height and angle you hold it at while playing, your choice of strings, your pick grip, angle and right hand technique... etc. are all important details that contribute to the equation, and are reasons why different people prefer different picks.
    This is so important to understand. If any pick was universally better for every player, everyone would buy it, and the other pick companies would go out of business.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker2050 View Post
    Those two picks made my mandolin sound almost muted and dead. I was really surprised that they would make my mandolin sound terrible when so many people like them.
    Picks make a discernable to huge difference on the mandolin. I have tried many wrong picks, that make it sound dead, or soft, or some are just difficult to manipulate. It matters.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    This is so important to understand. If any pick was universally better for every player, everyone would buy it, and the other pick companies would go out of business.
    Not only every player, but I find instruments themselves vary a lot in pick "preference" too. It's sometimes a headache for me to remember which picks sound best with instruments other than the main one I gravitate toward these days. I sometimes think I should either write it down, or at least keep a pick that the instrument "likes" in the case with the instrument, but I never do. Maybe next time.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

14. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

The choice of pick , in my experience , is crucial to the sound you are looking for whether you play mandolin or acoustic guitar or ? Also good to remember that the sound YOU hear as the player is quite different from what the listener hears sitting in FRONT of the instrument . Record yourself with a GOOD mic and have a listen.

I enjoy a wegen tf140 the most out of primetone 1.5 triangle, fender heavy 346, dunlop ultex 1.14, v pick saga.. The primetone feels good with the grip and is the loudest pick I've used, it's brighter and has more click, to my ears... Wegen sounds smoother and darker, not as loud. Really want to try a bluechip tad601r or Chris thile model next..

17. The following members say thank you to Mandosurf for this post:

Blog Entries

For me I need the pick that allows me to play the best. Grip, tip and shape. I tend to adapt to the sound it makes very quickly. For a while I favored 1.2 -1.4mm picks but recently I tried a 1mm pick and it just seems to match the 'impedance' of my playing atm. It sounded thin for 5 minutes and now it sounds perfect.

19. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

It took me a while to get used to round picks. But now I love them...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

The Blue Chip TAD60-1R or TPR60 picks will fix you up! More volume and clearer tone than anything I've ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    I totally agree, bbaker... I think those ..... rounded {picks} make a mandolin sound like it's stuffed with socks.
    I don't understand why people use 'em, but it's a free country and some people love them.
    I have some primetone triangles with pointed ends... They are quite nice....
    Quote Originally Posted by jclover View Post
    I like pointed picks. ..... If I need to brighten up, I go thin and even more pointy - Pickboy "mandolin" .75mm or BC TD35. If I could have just one pick, it would be the Wegen Bluegrass 1mm pick - it sounds pretty good on everything to my ear.
    Add me to the list of guys that don't feel like I get a good tone with anything except a pointed pick.

Different strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Add me to the list of guys that don't feel like I get a good tone with anything except a pointed pick.

Different strokes.
    I think you and I play a lot of jazz+classical, David?
    Might be why we prefer a pointed pick...I tend to see more players with rounded picks at bluegrass festivals.
    I'd be surprised if many (any) classical players use a rounded pick...

When I first started playing mandolin and discovered this forum I went a little pick crazy (ok, ok - I remain pick-crazed, but I digress). Pro-Plecs and Dawg picks were a couple of my earliest deviations from standard Fender 351 heavies that I used exclusively - and for decades - on guitar. I found them both darker, quieter, and softer-toned at the time. After trying numerous other picks including BC and a host of other brands, I settled on the JazzMando V-pick and thought I had found the my-search-is-over mandolin pick. But now I switch around frequently among my irrationally large pick collection, and rotate in the Pro-Plecs (often) and Dawgs (not as often). As my picking technique has evolved substantially since those early days of discovery with the mandolin, I now find more brightness, nuance, and volume from both of them. FWIW my current favorite is a Fender 346 extra heavy on both guitar and mandolin (but I've been playing those new Primetones a lot as well - didn't like them at all initially, but they grew on me).
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

I actually think you have to change the way you attack the strings with a rounded pick. Listen to guys like Grisman and others who've used rounded picks for a long time, they get a lot of brightness out of them.

I like the rounded picks with the bevel like the blue chips have. But when I need more volume I use a pointed pick. I'm sure these guys could get the same amount of volume with the rounded ones.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

On my mandolins,any pick such as the Dawg or Golden Gate, thicker,rounded picks totally anihilate any semblance of tone. I used to use Wegen Bluegrass picks which were ok,until i bought some Dunlop Primetone ''Teardrop' shaped 1.3mm thick picks,which proved to be a revelation. IMHO,thick,rounded edges slide over the strings instead of 'picking' them = not good !.After trying lots of different picks inc.Blue Chip picks,for me the Primetones are the best,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone 1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	130357
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

These particular Primetones are my favorite picks. For me at least they are the perfect balance between a regular guitar pick and the round picks like Dawgs and Golden Gates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	130359  

Blog Entries

Blue Chips are the best for me. Except when the Primetones are the best. Other times the Wegen is the only pick that works, and those Red Bears sure do get a lot of use.

For certain mandolins, for certain venues, for certain tunes, it all depends. Depends on what I am trying to do and where I am trying to do it.

The entire staff
    funny....

29. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: