Thread: JBovier FM5

Question JBovier FM5

Hello! I'm currently in the process of looking at different options for a mandola. I've recently started playing in a mandolin orchestra, and they only have one mandola player. To fill the need, I've borrowed one from some friends who also play in that orchestra that they weren't using.

I'd eventually like to get one of my own, so I've been looking around. Does anyone here own a JBovier FM5? What do you think of it? Do you feel it has good sound and playability?

Here's a link to the specs on it.
    http://mandolins.ecrater.com/p/12343...la-custom-case

Here's a youtube video of someone playing it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jODH...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for the input! I'm not in a hurry to get one either, so I haven't ruled out getting one custom built.

Default Re: JBovier FM5

I had one that I sold a couple months back. It was a well crafted instrument, with a nice THROATY voice and a beautiful instrument. Also came in one of the nicest custom shaped HSCs (brown faux Gator skinned) I have ever seen. A very nice instrument, but the tuners were Golden Gate reversed (horrid), and it needed a setup. If you can find a used one for around $1200, go for it. With some minor tweaks, I don't think you can do much better in an F style dola for the $.

Sean

3. The following members say thank you to sgrexa for this post:

Default Re: JBovier FM5

Thanks for the input! I'll keep an eye out. I'm looking for mandolas that have a scale length of at or just under 16". I wish there was an FM5 close by so I could try it. So far I've tried a mandola built by Bayard Blain (in Fayetteville, AR) and a Cohen. The Cohen is the one that I'm currently borrowing until I find something of my own. I really like the scale on it, and wouldn't want to go any longer.

Sgrexa, what did you think of the neck profile on the FM5? I heard that it was more rounded. Did you find it comfortable to hold and play?