Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The End of Guitar Center

Default Re: The End of Guitar Center

We are living through one of the most dramatic economic revolutions in recorded history. It will dwarf both the agricultural and industrial revolutions of the past and is sweeping through at wild fire pace. Because it is unprecedented, we can't know what will change exactly. And because we are living it, we can't even realize its full impacts.
    What a great summary! It puts a lot of things into perspective.

I might be more emotional about the whole mom & pop thing than most. It is not just about how it touches my life. Most of my family has been self employed for generations. I have always been self employed. My wife came into the business straight out of college. My parents, grandparents, great grandparents, were all self employed.

Like Astro, I don't see all of this as necessarily being a bad thing (much of it is). It will be different (it already is). It is surely not the end of small business! Now brick and Mortar shops? That is another story.... The consumers have spoken and Mom and Pop shops have been voted out. We will see demand for some in certain areas. Others will be a distant memory. Think record shop, book store, electronics store, etc.. Most of these are already endangered species. I am sad to see this part and again, not so much for me, as it has always been a very small percentage of my business. I have always wanted to own a cool acoustic shop that stood on it's own without the internet sales. The reality is that I ship more mandolins in one week than I can sell locally in a year.

Yes it will be harder and harder for B&M stores to open or compete. More Mom and Pops will do what they can from home. Supplemental income will be everyones strategy.
    It will also be harder and harder for internet stores to compete. There was a time when it was cheaper to launch a website than a physical storefront. That has shifted with the complexity of the market. It is now very difficult (and expensive), to jump into e-commerce at a competitive level. The additional problem is that you are not just competing with well established competitors. There is also a never ending supplying of business that are not sustainable, but do disrupt the market. When one ill advised business jumps in with a crazy 100% trade-in policy, prices that are just too low, or whatever non-sustainable offer, it takes a toll on well run businesses. The ill-run business eventually goes under, but before it does, up pops another and the cycle continues. This is nothing new and competition keeps everything in check. For the most part, this does benefit the consumer. However, there are certain business models that can't stand up to this. The music store is one that is especially vulnerable because of the nature of the product and level of service needed. The B&M music shops that survive will be the standout versions that are exceptionally good at what they do and I don't believe that their main focus can be based around local sales of instruments. They will need multichannel sales and service income streams (this has been the case for years). In fact, even the best shops may find the local instrument showroom to be a liability more than an asset. The only way to change course, will be for the consumer to step in and support local shops. Of course, the online shops have better selection and better pricing, so is this realistic? Probably not.

As Astro points out, this is all accelerating at a rapid pace. I have watched Amazon significantly up the instrument offerings in just the past year. The real game changer, is that I am seeing the manufacturers jump on board with full support of this. This is not just a shift in consumer habits, much of the industry is now embracing the change as well. Maybe they don’t have a choice?
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

2. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Respectfully Robert, there is always a choice just, not always the one we want to make.
    But, that being said, the only constant with everything is change.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

4. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

This has far reaching societal implications! Where will all the pimple-faced teenagers and self-absorbed adults go to plug into the largest amp, turn it up to "11" and shred for hours on end? Every GC I've ever been seems to have a shredder on duty every time I come in. Where will these people go? Where else can they find an outlet for their pointless ego-tripping? They may try to force themselves on real music stores. They may turn to crime. They may become "sonic terrorists."

6. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

I think GC keeps a list of names on hand..

"Hey John, this is Steve over at GC. Billy is out sick today, do you think you could fill his 2:30-3:30 slot? If you could just do your standard 60 minute noodling session, that would be great. Will have the half stack ready to go for you!"

"Oh, I almost forgot.. the guitar is only tuned down one step. I know that is on the high side for you, but we don't have anyone here that knows how to retune!"
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    I think GC keeps a list of names on hand..

"Hey John, this is Steve over at GC. Billy is out sick today, do you think you could fill his 2:30-3:30 slot? If you could just do your standard 60 minute noodling session, that would be great. Will have the half stack ready to go for you!"

"Oh, I almost forgot.. the guitar is only tuned down one step. I know that is on the high side for you, but we don't have anyone here that knows how to retune!"
    I'm sure they have a schedule...
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

The four or five big music hardware retailers have come to stand alone as a result of the consolidation trends of big business in
    general, which I personally think is an effect of everyone getting high on the internet. All business at that level seems to be
    cyclical, so I'd expect that in the next few years we'll see either some way that local stores can serve us better than the big
    retailers, or that some new form of retailing will emerge.

As for Behringer, to their credit they've evolved from doing the cheapest & worst iterations of stolen designs to making very
    useful stuff at very accessible prices. Their products aren't always good quality in performance nor truly durable, but the overall
    quality has come a long way, and they've had the drive to broaden their product range very widely. Again, as with all cycles,
    it's interesting to find, especially outside the US, a bunch of other companies chewing away at the Behr' market share. Still, I try not to let folks buy into that ... 'disposable crap' level of tech if I can help it. ;-)

Another interesting thing is that there is a whole lot of great audio gear in the used market. Products last well and with a minimum
    of care, have long lives and present great alternatives and often far better quality than the mainstream (i.e., Behringer) gear on offer.

Enjoy,
    stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Maybe they'll have a really huge liquidation sale on pro audio and stuff? Yes, I know, I'm a vulture.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

GC Still has Advertising Time bought, as seen on the Cable last Night.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    We are living through one of the most dramatic economic revolutions in recorded history. It will dwarf both the agricultural and industrial revolutions of the past and is sweeping through at wild fire pace. Because it is unprecedented, we can't know what will change exactly. And because we are living it, we can't even realize its full impacts..... It seems the "New Normal" is there is no longer a "normal" as change is happening so fast it will be harder and harder for the average bloke to recognize it in time to catch or ride "the wave" of their generation. Yet, life goes on.
    Ummm, nah.

I think we can never see our present times with the clarity and intellectual separation with which we can see the past. We don't have access to all the facts about our times that future historians will have.

So the times we are in always look more dramatic, more chaotic, more confusing, and more unprecedented, than any other time in history. The only real difference in the ebb and flow of human society over time, is that these are the times we are in. These are the only times we can be in. It is the traditions and norms that we grew up with that are changing.

When I was a kid my father said similar things, and when he was a kid his father said similar things. In fact that gentleman lived through the coming apart of his whole world, the murder of most of his entire family and everyone he knew in that that city and the dispersal of the survivors to the four corners of the world. In context, the plight of Guitar Center and its impact seems kind of minor.

We forget we live in a closed system and in any closed system there is a way of checking this type of thing. In the case of checking overpopulation, its called War and Pestilence.
    Again, nah.

There are some respected intellectuals who don't see population growth as inevitably rising to the point of a epic corrective disaster, but that in societies with healthier middle classes, technology, education, and where the average Joe can expect a reasonable amount of self determination, freedom, and a chance at success, the population growth is a kind of sigmoid function where instead of going off the charts it pans out to a more or less sustainable level.

The goal then, would be to work on making that kind of society more ubiquitous.

But always hopeful we can learn...
    Yes. On that I agree.

This evening I have a date with a bourbon old fashioned, and a listen to Avi Avital playing some Bach. [Finally some mandolin content.] I will further consider your thoughts at that time.
    Last edited by JeffD; Feb-13-2015 at 4:33pm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I just saw this interesting read:

http://geargods.net/white-collar-cri...nter-madhouse/

Guitar Center Corporate Is Apparently A Madhouse Right Now

Last week, we published a series of internal emails detailing layoffs at Guitar Center’s corporate offices, and now we are starting to hear that things are pretty crazy at GC HQ – more jobs are getting cut, people are under intense pressure to perform at all levels, and GC’s new CEO is attempting to maintain calm while the company’s stock continues to tank........
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

16. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Local GC manager ( 23rd in 18 years) says "GC HQ has fired A FEW SUITS in order to better compensate the retail staff members."

I believe he knows the truth and bet he was given that directive to pass on to the plebes to quell the impending riot.

GC has been substandard since their inception. Best description I could give is : UNPROFESSIONAL.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I don't know enough about the financial world to disagree with that blog author's conclusions, but it doesn't take a degree in economics to know that big box retail is on the skids.

Also, this quote from the conclusion in the article is both hilarious and frightening:

If Behringer is the future, then we're all in deep doodoo. It's the Wal-Mart ethos applied to music gear: don't care if it lasts, don't care what it sounds like, as long as it's cheaper than anything else.
    I was recently reminded that the lowest price, regardless of quality, is driven by the consumer.

The Harmony Central forums (which are owned by Guitar Center) are currently down. Hopefully it's just a technical snafu and not something permanent. There have been some issues over there recently with GC being upset about people talking about their demise on the HC forums.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

The Harmony Central forums are back up, so it must have just been a technical snafu.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Wow. That does not paint a pretty picture for the future of the company. Looks like this ship is sinking fast.

On a side note, one of the links in that article really gave me a chuckle, as it mirrors exactly my experience every time I go into a Guitar Center:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23...r-center_music

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    On a side note, one of the links in that article really gave me a chuckle, as it mirrors exactly my experience every time I go into a Guitar Center:

Yep. Deja vu.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post

No nay never would I even start considering going there to buy a mandolin.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

While GC certainly made their mark in the world of consumer music, I'm sure another outfit is waiting in the wings to take over. (remember MARS music?) Although, each new version is probably going to be more Walmart in appearance. Heck, it might even be Walmart taking over--after all--they've "produced" albums by the Eagles and AC/DC exclusively for their patrons and you can't say their "distribution" ain't great--seems like there is a Walmart every 8 miles where I live....

I liked Mars Music and was genuinely sad to see it go. The one in Arlington, Texas was a really great store.