Thread: Kentucky Km500. Not sure whether to stay or upgrade

Default Kentucky Km500. Not sure whether to stay or upgrade

I've had the km500 for about 1.5 years and it is a great instrument. The fretboard needs to be redone however. It would be $250 to do that. I was already looking into getting an F style (I'm not opposed to an A style though) around the $1400 dollar range, the Km1000 to be precise, before I learned of this needed repair.

Basically, should I get the 500 repaired and invest in a good case to keep it more well protected? I dos start noticing the sound and tone changing and not for the better so maybe this repair will help bring it back?

Or invest $1400 into a new F style and at some point in the future get the repair done on the 500.

I'm also looking for other suggestions for an F (or A) in the $1000-$1500 range that would be a very noticeable upgrade from the Km500 in sound. Definitely looking for something with great sounding chops with a mean bark. I don't have access to much mandolins here besides a whole range of Kentuckys, a few Eastmans and a couple Washburns so I haven't had much personal play with other brands I always read about.,

Default Re: Kentucky Km500. Not sure whether to stay or upgrade

When you say the fretboard needs to be redone, what do you mean exactly? Just a refret? Or something more serious?

Also, what do you mean by the tone is changing and not for the better? What is happening, exactly?

Default Re: Kentucky Km500. Not sure whether to stay or upgrade

A refret and needs to be replaned is what I was told.

and sorry tone was definitely the wrong term to use, I think I was just trying to convince myself to upgrade ha. It just doesn't sound as crisp and nice because I'm still getting some slight buzz on the G in various spots. mainly on the 7th fret which is why I'm probably assuming it sounds way different. When I play my G chop without my pinky on the 7 now it sounds great, but when I use my pinky I heat that nasty slight buzz that wasnt there before. I brought it in two weeks ago to get some buzz on the low strings taken care of and when I got it back they said it's the best they can do without redoing the neck.