Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lots of Ellis Mandolins for sale

Default Re: Lots of Ellis Mandolins for sale

The home made guitar market was bigger and I think a bit earlier and more widespread than the mandolin thing. But I think what both have in common is that we for the first time had a more affluent society where you didn't necessarily have to spend every minute scrounging for a living and people had some free time to pursue a hobby or even try to make a living, not just in instruments, could be a lot of different endeavors.

If you've ever seen Darryl Wolfes photos from the parking lot picking at the 60's bluegrass festivals you get a glimpse of where the demand for bluegrass instruments came from. At the same time it was discovered that you didn't have to pay a professional to make the music, you could do it yourself, some took that to the next step with instrument building.

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Most from those builders for sale that I've seen are from more recent. And, were Woods, Stivers, Givens truly as expensive and respected back then as say an Ellis or Red Diamond is today ? And, back in the 60's or 70's was there anything in the ball park of a Gilchrest in terms of expense ?

My guess is those mentioned above were the young chaps back then, not the master luthiers of that era that they are now.

So who were the master luthiers of those 30 years (60-90) ?

Where are those mandolins now ?
    Well, I have one of them. Back in 1978-79 a Givens A-5 sold for around $650. That was 2 weeks salary for me, a recent college grad, and I bought one which I still have and use daily. The Givens F models were priced at $900 as I recollect.

Today, 2 weeks salary wouldn't get me close to the top of the line A-5 models, so either I ain't making enough, or the prices have gone up quicker than the salaries.

You also have to bear in mind that there were a LOT fewer mandolin owners/players back in the 70's and 80's. And I doubt that there were many who owned multiple mandolins. Some of the other cafe posters seem to own quite a few instruments each. They're the ones keeping the current luthiers in business! (Not complaining; I am sizing up which mandolin will be my second after 36 years of owning only one.)
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

4. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

Astro 

Now if you'd maybe change the subject to stop me pining for the day that'll likely never come, when I might be able to afford an Ellis.

I think anytime they are more available that's just a bigger chance of someone wanting to sell one ,
    for instance 300 some Ellis have been built ,and lets say they are 10 availiable right now ,small percentage
    Gilchrist 500 some have been built I think,i can probably find 15 this morning available ,
    52 or so John Paganoni ,I think there is about 2 available right now
    Martin D-28 thousands been built ,thousands or atleast hundreds availiable
    Danny Clark

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danny Clark For This Useful Post:

I e-mailed Tom Ellis regarding my 'used' "A" style purchase,& this was his reply :- "...On the ser #, you are correct, 215th instrument (including 2 guitars and 25 banjos).". That was the total number of instruments he'd build by 2010. So,Danny's 300 is a tad optimistic,but i take his point.
    There are many reasons why folks part with instruments that we'd superglue to ourselves in order not to be parted from,but that's the way it goes. I've often wondered if i'd be tempted to part with my 3 mandolins in order to buy a 'used' Ellis F5 if i ever came across one. I'd loose a bit of sleep over that one,but i suspect that i wouldn't - i only 'suspect' mind you !!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've noticed it too because I'm shopping for an Ellis F-5. Not sure how to explain the recent abundance, but I'm pretty sure they'd all move quicker if priced a bit lower--especially the more recent 22-fret models, which is what I'd like to find. There seem to be fewer of those and asking prices are almost as much as if new.

Blog Entries

I don't think the activity on the café classifieds is most of the mandolin buying and selling in the country, (or world for that matter).

I don't think the activity on the café classifieds is a representative sample of the mandolin buying and selling in the country.

I don't think the majority of Ellis owners. buyers, or sellers, are café members, and likely most of them never heard of the café.

I don't think you can conclude much about the mando-market at large based on what goes on around here.
    Indulge responsibly!

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Actually, I haven't met a serious mandolin player yet that hasn't heard of the Mandolin Cafe.

I've met several that don't read it, but they'd at least heard of it.

If anyone here has never heard of the Mandolin Cafe, please raise your hand.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

13. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Tobin 

Even today you can buy a mandolin of par with a Givens, Ellis or Gilchrist for under $2k...

but it's from a guy with an unknown name. There are some luthiers on their first dozen builds that have the quality but don't have the name and they need to sell that new one just off the bench so they can continue to build the next one. So they'll sell it for $1500. They need to pay rent and pay the electric and maybe eat a bit.

They are scattered around the country. There are so many builders today, like never before. We are living in a cornucopia of mandolin building. I can throw a rock and hit another luthier here in mid-TN who nobody knows...yet. And no, they don't have an ad up on the Cafe. Or maybe they do.

From what I've seen more Ellis mandolins have been listed on MC in the last couple months than have been listed by dealers on the rest of the internet.

I purposely did an 'Ellis count' on the Classified ads.yesterday & found only 3 Ellis mandolins for sale. There were more Webers & others than Ellis's being sold,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Two weeks ago you would have found six.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Actually, I haven't met a serious mandolin player yet that hasn't heard of the Mandolin Cafe.
    I've met several that don't read it, but they'd at least heard of it.
    I guess we need to define serious.

There was a thread on this just recently where it was acknowledged by the personal experience of many how few mandolin players they have met who were café members or knew about it. Except for folks I met from the café, I have never met any, or had anyone comment on my stickers or hat, or even seen café stickers on someone's case. I have bumped into a fair amount of manolinners for sure, though I admit hardly a representative sample. It was pointed out in that thread, (I can't find it) that most dealers and luthiers know about us. And I would bet most mandolinners at the stratospheric levels are aware, and I will acknowledge that there might be a higher chance of bumping into members at bluegrass events than other kinds of events. I am not predominantly a bluegrasser. But by any measure we café members are a minority within a minority.
    Indulge responsibly!

The entire staff
    funny....

Well that certainly could be JeffD. My numbers are extremely small and probably very skewd now that I think about it because many of the mando players I've met in person have originated from here.

Still I haven't seen anyone raise their hand.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

from my orginal post #251 just hit the classifieds
    Danny Clark

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Clark View Post
    from my orginal post #251 just hit the classifieds
    Between the ad's emphasis on the snakehead headstock, the absence of a "5" in the A description, and the odd angle of the photograph, I did a double-take and wondered if #251 is one of Tom Ellis' less common oval hole mandolins.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2011 Passernig F5

I spoke with the owner of #251 today. It's an A5 and knock dead gorgeous. I had to start wearing a bib to catch the drool.
    "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to leave alone."

23. The following members say thank you to David Smith for this post:

here's a nice sounding Ellis A, pick your song of choice and enjoy. the website has good sound and you can see how this A sounds on a lot of different music.

http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/all-lessons/

here is a starter: "shove that pigs foot a little closer to the fire"
    enjoy this very very nice Ellis A

Daryl,
    Great link. Thanks
    "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to leave alone."