Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just received my first bouzouki - Help :)

Default Re: Just received my first bouzouki - Help :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Chaser View Post
    Do you remember which brand of strings it was Garry?
    Yeah sure check out Eagle Music in th UK. They have the set in their bouzouki string section

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Those covers may be very tight - gently and firmly keep pulling up.
    Are you guys talking about pulling up on the tailpiece cover? From what I can see in the video, those covers slide, not lift. You should apply pressure on the end facing the soundhole and the cover is supposed to slide off away from the body.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Are you guys talking about pulling up on the tailpiece cover? From what I can see in the video, those covers slide, not lift. You should apply pressure on the end facing the soundhole and the cover is supposed to slide off away from the body.
    From what i recall yeah thats the way to do it! But gently!

Some slid up, some slid back - either way go slow and gently.

It seems like this is a step up from their previous model. The truss rod should deal with the worries of using thicker string gauges. I'm glad they've ditched the scratch plate though not sure about the rosette (bit gimmicky I have one myself - see my avatar).
    I'm just really surprised that Hora is not shipping these with unison octave strings. Missing a trick here on a zouk with "Irish" in the title. Not saying the octave stringing doesn't give a pleasant sound but it's not what I would want for unobtrusive counter melody Irish accompaniment.

Quote Originally Posted by James Rankine View Post
    It seems like this is a step up from their previous model. The truss rod should deal with the worries of using thicker string gauges. I'm glad they've ditched the scratch plate though not sure about the rosette (bit gimmicky I have one myself - see my avatar).
    I'm just really surprised that Hora is not shipping these with unison octave strings. Missing a trick here on a zouk with "Irish" in the title. Not saying the octave stringing doesn't give a pleasant sound but it's not what I would want for unobtrusive counter melody Irish accompaniment.
    I was surprised too and that's why I posted this thread. But as I was searching for strings, I saw Irish strings set with octave pairs so I suppose it's not so rare...

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Yeah sure check out Eagle Music in th UK. They have the set in their bouzouki string section
    Thanks, I found the closest set with the gauges I need there: http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/mandol...ble-strung.htm

But again, I'm not sure to change for unissons strings, if I have to modify the bridge etc...

Thanks, I found the closest set with the gauges I need there: http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/mandol...ble-strung.htm

But again, I'm not sure to change for unissons strings, if I have to modify the bridge etc...
    I found on the octaves when i used a capo, those bottom courses sounded awful because the capo wasnt pinning the light strings properly so you end up with weird intonation up the neck. Just my opinion

This is true, I noticed this as well...

This is true, I noticed this as well...
    Interesting iv
    e just got a Blue Moon bouzouki which i think is made in the same factory. Will post more after i collect it tomorrow. Its the bb 12 model

Yep I was using MM to Inches i.e. Millimeters to Inches for that conversion