Thread: New Tenor Guitar from Ibanez

Default New Tenor Guitar from Ibanez

Ibanez introduced a new mini dreadnought tenor guitar at NAMM (AVT2E). The link is http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_a...=10&color=CL01 . The Ibanez AVT1NT is not listed in their 2015 catalog, so it appears the AVT2E is replacing the AVT1NT.

2. The following members say thank you to Chip Stewart for this post:

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Default Re: New Tenor Guitar from Ibanez

Any idea on the price? It definitely looks sharp. Hope there's a youtube review on it soon.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Looks like they are going to offer both the AVT1 and the AVT2 in their lineup. They are being listed online for 399.00, so 100.00 dollars more than the AVT1.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/usa/news/f_p...age/tenor.html

AVT2 has a pickup and preamp.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
    Looks like they are going to offer both the AVT1 and the AVT2 in their lineup. They are being listed online for 399.00, so 100.00 dollars more than the AVT1.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/usa/news/f_p...age/tenor.html
    Thanks for the information. I noticed from the catalog pictures that both the AVT1 and AVT2 have a strap button at the heel of the guitar neck. That's a nice feature that a lot of acoustic guitars don't come with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Stewart View Post
    Thanks for the information. I noticed from the catalog pictures that both the AVT1 and AVT2 have a strap button at the heel of the guitar neck. That's a nice feature that a lot of acoustic guitars don't come with.
    Yep, my AVT1 came all ready for a strap with both buttons.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not replacing. Adding to last year's parlor body.

Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

9. The following members say thank you to Ted Eschliman for this post:

MdJ 

Nice.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Ibanez seems to be adding two new tenor models. In addition to the AVT2ENT (with electronics and a solid top) there is the less expensive PFT2NT (without electronics and laminate top). Former has MSRP of $600, PFT2NT has MSRP of $269.99. MF has later with advance order price of $179. ($400 for the AVT2ENT.)

There is also a Performance version of the Ibanez parlor tenor with a MF price under $200.

Those prices should make it attractive for guitarists or mando family players to try tenor guitar.

No doubt, there is a case to be made for the more expensive models from Ibanez, GoldTone, and Blue Ridge, as well as for even higher grade instruments. But these inexpensive models could really expand the number of people playing tenor guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartE View Post
    Ibanez seems to be adding two new tenor models. In addition to the AVT2ENT (with electronics and a solid top) there is the less expensive PFT2NT (without electronics and laminate top). Former has MSRP of $600, PFT2NT has MSRP of $269.99. MF has later with advance order price of $179. ($400 for the AVT2ENT.)

There is also a Performance version of the Ibanez parlor tenor with a MF price under $200.

Those prices should make it attractive for guitarists or mando family players to try tenor guitar.

No doubt, there is a case to be made for the more expensive models from Ibanez, GoldTone, and Blue Ridge, as well as for even higher grade instruments. But these inexpensive models could really expand the number of people playing tenor guitar.
    I agree, having inexpensive models available can help bring people in to try something new.That being said, so would actually carrying the model in the stores for people to know it even exists. I looked everywhere for the AVT1 before I bought it. All said they would order it but were not going to carry it in the store. If I didn't already know it existed, I would have never thought to even ask about it.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interestingly, at our NAMM buyer meeting, our Ibanez rep was pleading his other dealers stock one of these from the ukulele angle. He was suggesting putting them in the showroom with uke tuning. "Uke players who want to play guitar." Kind of the tail wagging the dog from our perspective, those who'd rather think in 5ths.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Ted OT: Did Kala release a case for their tenor yet?

I had an AVT1NT on backorder for months last year and finally got fed up and canceled the order. Ibanez needs to seriously get their act together shipping these things out to dealers. IME the dealers are not the problem but Ibanez not shipping.

Now with the Kala and this one out there, I have to admit to being confused. From what I've seen these are the current crop of affordable tenor offerings:

Ibanez AVT1NT and etc.
    Kala
    Gold Tone
    Blue Ridge

Would be nice to sit in a room and try them all together.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Their web-page says "The lower five frets of a tenor guitar plays in the same musical range as the highest ordinary male voice." Well, kinda, but that's not why it's called "tenor".

It also says "The word “open” comes up a lot when describing the sound of the tenor, owing in large part to the open tunings that are most often used." Well, not really, two different meanings of the word "open", and they are not in open tuning anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    Interestingly, at our NAMM buyer meeting, our Ibanez rep was pleading his other dealers stock one of these from the ukulele angle. He was suggesting putting them in the showroom with uke tuning. "Uke players who want to play guitar." Kind of the tail wagging the dog from our perspective, those who'd rather think in 5ths.
    I had a similar debate with GC and Sam Ash. I tried to tell the sales guys that if they carried one in the store, near the ukes you might get some "step up" curiosity and some sales. There are a lot of uke players who indeed want to play guitar, I was one of them for crying out loud. Four strings, same exact chord shapes (names do change), if you tune to DGBE anyway. It doesn't seem like you have to be a marketing genius to figure that out. They didn't see it that way though.

I'd prefer the parlor--I'm not into the dreadnaught size for guitar bodies--although I do have a dreadnought sized 12 string.
    Looks like either one would be fun though.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I don't think the body is full dreadnaught size. From the specs, it seems to be around the same size as a Martin O18-T.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
    I had a similar debate with GC and Sam Ash. I tried to tell the sales guys that if they carried one in the store, near the ukes you might get some "step up" curiosity and some sales. There are a lot of uke players who indeed want to play guitar, I was one of them for crying out loud. Four strings, same exact chord shapes (names do change), if you tune to DGBE anyway. It doesn't seem like you have to be a marketing genius to figure that out. They didn't see it that way though.
    They would rather sell that person a "real guitar".

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoCelt View Post
    I don't think the body is full dreadnaught size. From the specs, it seems to be around the same size as a Martin O18-T.

Patrick
    The Blueridge guitars are basically Martin O-18T clones. Both the Martin and the Blueridge have more of a waist and a smaller lower bout. I'm sure the sound is probably similar, but the mini dreadnaught shape probably gives a little more bass than the Martin 0 body shape.